Enclosed trailer talk

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Welp, as the title says I am looking for my first enclosed trailer. I am sure a lot of you have seen I have been bouncing around on trucks, cars, trailer. I will need a new (bigger) truck eventually, but for now I think I am settled on getting a trailer first. A trailer has more use for me immediately (storage) and I should be able to tow it locally with my current truck. I have been looking online for weeks trying to figure out what features I want. I think I have it mostly figured out as far as size, and basic features. What I am having a hard time with is figuring out which are good and which are junk. I should clarify, I can tell which ones are complete junk and I know to stay away from anything made in GA. I pretty much keep coming back to the InTech LITE series. I am curious what other decent options are out there that are not 100k.

Generally I am looking for a 28' bumper pull
I would prefer aluminum
Finished interior with cabinets
Interior lighting
Scene lights
Outlets

While we are at it, what options are must have vs don't bother? Any advice or recommendations are appreciated. This will be my first enclosed trailer, and I am trying to get something nice that will last me for years to come.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
While we are waiting for the trailer expert to come in here, I have a dumb question. If you get a trailer with a generator compartment, how does that work? I assume you bolt in a portable generator, but do you actually run it in there? Run a cord from the generator to the shore connection at the front? Just store the generator in there, and take it out at the track? I realize this is probably really dumb, but I have never paid much attention before and only have any experience with a larger generator that you control from inside.

I am trying to figure out if its even worth getting the compartment or not.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I don't have an car trailer, mine is a 7x12 enclosed trailer that I use for motorcycles. I ordered it directly from Bravo through my friend's brother and have been impressed with the quality. 16" OC wall posts and .030 exterior walls are standard with them, vs 24" on center with .024" walls which i *think* is what you'll find on most of the cheaper trailers. Mine doesn't look like a wavy piece of crap which is nice. Even factory direct it was pretty expensive and I probably won't get the premium that I paid back because everyone wants the cheapest trailer imaginable all the time, but I bought it to use not flip, and after comparing it to my buddy's 7x14 cheapo enclosed I'm glad I went with a nicer one.

KJ is definitely the guy to ask though

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
While we are waiting for the trailer expert to come in here, I have a dumb question. If you get a trailer with a generator compartment, how does that work? I assume you bolt in a portable generator, but do you actually run it in there? Run a cord from the generator to the shore connection at the front? Just store the generator in there, and take it out at the track? I realize this is probably really dumb, but I have never paid much attention before and only have any experience with a larger generator that you control from inside.

I am trying to figure out if its even worth getting the compartment or not.
Some of the generator compartments have a heavy duty slide out drawer. You pull the drawer out when the generator is running.

Reactions: Turbocharged400sbc

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Enclosed trailers owner for 8 years here. I've looked at a lot of them.

Pay attention to axle size. For a 28' model, I would be looking for dual 7000lb axles. Aluminum sheeting should be at least .030" thick for that size.

Structurally, most are built plenty solid, but look closely at the welds.

For the price and quality, I've very partial to H&H brand. Lots on the road and they last a long time. Other than that, ATC builds nice trailers, but you'll end up spending a bit more. I would steer clear from these pop-up companies that seem to have trendy names and do volume sales.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I am 100% buying to use, not to flip so I am willing to spend a bit more for quality that will last. That is another reason I like aluminum over steel, and also another nod to the InTech Lite with the extruded floor. They have no wood at all, and I know the ATC with the rubber coin floor its on top of plywood.

Speaking of ATC, they seem pretty decent, but they are a premium price for sure. I don't believe they are nicer than InTech, but they seem to be a few grand more for apples to apples.

I will look at Bravo, and H&H. I haven't heard of either brand before. Really the only others I have looked at are Haulmark, which I don't think are built as well as they used to be, and Victory which I don't know much about. Besides that it has been mainly InTech (my top choice) and ATC. I did also reach out to T&E which are custom made in IL. I have no idea what the pricing is on them, and I have a feeling its out of my price range.

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
Most units will advertise 16oc walls and floors but have 24oc roofs. Make sure you get 16oc roof supports to handle the Midwest snow load. I prefer 5200lb/6000lb axles because that gets you a 12kGVWR trailer. 7000lb axles usually equate to a 14Kgvwr trailer. Combine that with most newer 1 ton trucks and youre over 26k which means CDL. Even if you’re empty! DOT has actually started cracking down on this and the only thing you can do is get either the truck or trailer de-rated.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Most units will advertise 16oc walls and floors but have 24oc roofs. Make sure you get 16oc roof supports to handle the Midwest snow load. I prefer 5200lb/6000lb axles because that gets you a 12kGVWR trailer. 7000lb axles usually equate to a 14Kgvwr trailer. Combine that with most newer 1 ton trucks and youre over 26k which means CDL. Even if you’re empty! DOT has actually started cracking down on this and the only thing you can do is get either the truck or trailer de-rated.
Wouldn't this qualify for recreational use so the 26k gvwr wouldn't apply anyways?

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Good call on the roof supports, not something I specifically thought about. Seems like most of the trailers I am looking at are 5000lb axles, so 10k GVRW. I have seen some with 6k, but not many at these sizes. I should try to figure out how much weight I will actually have in there.

I posted on another forum and its surprising how many people say go triple axle. I don't think I would want to go with triple axles unless I was much longer (32'+ probably). One doesn't it hurt maneuverability which is important for me with my driveway. Two I hear its a magnet for cops to pull over and harass about weight. Not sure how true that is, but I have heard people say to avoid a triple just to not have that hassle in IL.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I thought triple axles were for 32 foot or more.
Mainly, yes. Apparently I need a 54' triple axle, 8' ceiling height. All the bells and whistles! Its the only way to go!

I totally get that idea of go bigger than you think you need. But it has to be within reason of course. Like I said some people are like you need minimum 32'. That seems like a bit much for my operation, hell even 28' may be too much. I think 24' would be just fine, and I may end up going with a nicer 24' vs a more stripped down or lower quality 28. Besides cost, the 28' is going to weigh more of course, and if they are both rated for the same 10k or 12k, its just less capacity for whatever inside. A bit counter intuitive since you can fit more in it.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Side cabinet (not front or L) so you can load golf cart straight in

Spread axle if available. I like torsions

I prefer split side door vs 1 big door. Easier to open in pit with car in way
This is good info. I dont know why, but I much prefer the front cabinets. I like the L for more counter space, but also eats into available floor space.

Most of the trailers I am looking at are torsion and spread.

I do like the double side door, but you don't see it really often unless its way decked out. And even then its usually on longer trailers only.

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
Wouldn't this qualify for recreational use so the 26k gvwr wouldn't apply anyways?
I believe there’s a list of things required for it to be considered an RV in Illinois. My car trailers have regular “TA” trailer plates and my camper has “RT” trailer plates. It’s based on how the trailer is titled. I think if you wanted to convert an enclosed trailer into an RV, they would inspect it for the correct amenities before changing over the registration.

Reactions: GTPpower

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I believe there’s a list of things required for it to be considered an RV in Illinois. My car trailers have regular “TA” trailer plates and my camper has “RT” trailer plates. It’s based on how the trailer is titled. I think if you wanted to convert an enclosed trailer into an RV, they would inspect it for the correct amenities before changing over the registration.
I remember reading something about this a LONG time ago. I think there was a list of items, and you need at least 3 of them to qualify to be an RV. So like a bathroom package, fridge, and microwave would get it done. While that is technically doable in a 28' trailer, I dont think I would.

Reactions: GTPpower

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Yesterday I asked a buddy of mine who has had a bunch of trailers, including a couple custom InTech trailers who I should talk to. He gave me the name and number of a friend of his who has been in the industry for a long time and deals with a lot of the big brands (InTech, Haulmark, Bravo, etc.) I just bombarded him with questions, and he was able to not only answer them all, but give a lot of explanation as well. Based on my budget and needs I think I am set on a 28' InTech LITE. I am still a little on the fence for a couple of the options, but basically will get it "loaded". I don't think you can get a better trailer for the price. I would love to go custom, but it really jumps up and then as you check those options it gets up there. Way more than I am willing to spend anyway.

Not sure when I will pull the trigger, probably later this year or early next year. The wife had a good point that we should pave an area next to the garage (which we have talked about for a while) so I have a spot to park it that isnt out in the yard. That may turn into replacing the driveway at the same time, but we will have to see how that goes.

Reactions: Pro Stock John

Thread Info