Don't hold your breath for a 6th gen Z/28

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Not sure how ford markets the GT350, but GM doesn't run around making a lot of Z28's and ZL1's, then puts fire sale discounts on the hood at the dealership to move a high volume of them.

They are purpose built, low volume, niche cars. Plain and simple. So yea, you're not going to see a lot of them.

With that said, a ZL1 and I were driving together down 31 through St. Charles last week, and I've seen one or two Z28's recently. Actually my Son pointed out the Z28 as he loves Camaro's.

But again, we're here in Chicago, so you're gonna see a lot more of anything than out in North Dakota, no offense.

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
Not sure how ford markets the GT350, but GM doesn't run around making a lot of Z28's and ZL1's, then puts fire sale discounts on the hood at the dealership to move a high volume of them.

LOL , that's exactly what happened . they made shit load of them , nobody wanted to buy them so GM had like $30K discount on Z/28 , 20% off ZL1s and Z06s

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota

They are purpose built, low volume, niche cars. Plain and simple. So yea, you're not going to see a lot of them.

With that said, a ZL1 and I were driving together down 31 through St. Charles last week, and I've seen one or two Z28's recently. Actually my Son pointed out the Z28 as he loves Camaro's.

But again, we're here in Chicago, so you're gonna see a lot more of anything than out in North Dakota, no offense.

A few here yes but I meant in Washington DC, Florida, California, Texas. Im out of ND quite frequently.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I ended it at that point because IIRC, the 20% off was on EVERYTHING GM sold at that point in time. SS's were 20% off at that point in time before the stop sale on them (I regret not having the means to get one then), Vette's were 20% off, Silverado's were 20% off, Escalade's were 20% off, etc, etc...

Just because they put it on the hood of the 1 or 2 left doesn't mean it was a rampant fire sale. My guess is that the bulk of the ~1,800 Z28's weren't impacted by the 20% sale. Prove to me it was and I will recant. But my guess is most Z28's were signed, sealed and delivered to enthusiasts who bought them before the orders were fulfilled in GM's system and not sold at 20% off.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010

Simply put GM doesn't market them period. GM has hands down the worst marketed of any US auto manufacturer. Their idea of a good commercial is showing real people saying GM cars aren't as shitty as they thought...

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
I ended it at that point because IIRC, the 20% off was on EVERYTHING GM sold at that point in time. SS's were 20% off at that point in time before the stop sale on them (I regret not having the means to get one then), Vette's were 20% off, Silverado's were 20% off, Escalade's were 20% off, etc, etc...

Just because they put it on the hood of the 1 or 2 left doesn't mean it was a rampant fire sale. My guess is that the bulk of the ~1,800 Z28's weren't impacted by the 20% sale. Prove to me it was and I will recant. But my guess is most Z28's were signed, sealed and delivered to enthusiasts who bought them before the orders were fulfilled in GM's system and not sold at 20% off.

Z/28s were sitting on the dealer lots forever as no one was willing to pay $80K for a Camaro , GM did a price MSRP discount by $20-25K so dealer can get rid off them

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Right there I have to stop you...

I have already called out that GM made roughly, 1,800 Z28's.

There are roughly 4,300 Chevrolet dealerships in the USA.

If we were to allocate evenly across all those 4,300 Chevrolet dealers, that would mean that each Chevy dealer got ~.42 of a Z28.

Now reality is, that isn't how it's done. Usually (from experience in a Chevy dealership), allocations of a vehicle, in this case a performance car, is usually based on Corvette sales.

In this case, Chevrolet dealerships like Kerbeck in Joisey, Macmullin (or maybe it's Mac Mulkin, I can't remember) in New Hampshire, or the Hendrick Juggernaught in the S.E. USA would get the most Z28's available.

The point I'm driving at, is that there weren't 6 - 10 of these sitting on every Chevrolet dealership lot. Most of these Z28's were snapped up the minute Chevrolet announced their existence and once ordering could be made in the system, and then delivered before the 20% off was a thing.

NOW, I will admit that a few probably did get discounted. I can think of a few scenarios like dealer trades, a dealer that got stuck with one that they didn't want, just because they sell a certain % of Corvettes, etc... But this wasn't the rampant fire sale you claim to be on a huge production run (which it wasn't).

~1,800 cars, over two model years, spread across ~4,300 Chevy dealerships.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Saying the GT350 sucks is pretty strong considering it was the first time pretty much auto reporting individual said the car was the most capable Mustang ever. Including some well-respected race car drivers. :rofl:

So the GT350 indeed does not suck when compared to other Mustangs.

Comparing it to a ZL1 isn't exactly fair.

To say the GT350, or any Mustang, isn't much compared to 2019/2020 offerings out there...I'll agree to that.

As far as the Z28 goes, I think the 1LE took a huge part of the need for a Z28 away. Camaro buyers can add the 1LE option and have a pretty capable track car. How much better can they make the Z28 over the 1LE? How much will the Z28 cost? The increase in performance it would have would probably make it hard for buyers to justify a healthy increase in sticker cost. Plus it wouldn't be allowed to be too good due to the flagship sports car they offer.

I would like to see what a Z28 could do. I think the 6th gen performance is pretty amazing. Now remove weight, add power, increase grip, and tweak the Mag shocks. But that won't happen if it performs too close to the c7 Vette. So until the performance bar is raised with the mid-engine Vette, I think there is little need to market a car that is being held back for a stiff sticker price.

Hopefully, the mid-engine Vette will widen the performance gap against the 1LE. Giving the GM engineers an opportunity to really go at a proper, no holds barred, Camaro Z28.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
If GM has any brains whatsoever, and the 7th gen ends up happening, they're going to make a drag-inspired camaro that's spacious enough to fit the average overweight 'murican stoplight racer. A camaro for the masses, that competes with the hellcat, would be perfect. Too bad they already used the COPO name for a racecar nobody can afford, but maybe they can reuse it. Or bring back yenko? That'd be sick

The focus on handling and lap times will be much lower than what we see in the 6th gen

They could work on making a car you can actually see out of when you drive it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info