Food / Drink Chef's Choice Knife Sharpener is AMAZING

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
America's Test Kitchen tried out a variety of knife sharpeners and picked the Chef's Choice Trizor XV as the winner. They said it sharpens knives to better than new sharpness.

So I bought one. Amazon has them for $159 but Ebay is a better choice at $119.

Sharpened up my Japanese Global knives and they go through ripe tomatoes with no effort at all. Can easily slice paper and shave arm hairs. I'm going to have to warn Amy about her 7" chef's knife that she loves to use. It's like a razor blade now.

Then I sharpened the USA made but generic knives I received after my grandma passed away years ago. Again, the knives are sharper than I have ever seen them. Easily usably sharp now.

Finally, I took my new(er) steak knives that I was never really happy with and gave them a few pulls. Happy with them now. This sharpener is amazing.

Wow. It's up to $169 on Amazon. Definitely get it on Ebay.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I sharpened a couple more knives and am impressed with the results. Tried to sharpen my $200 Pro tech switch blade and it's much harder to sharpen. Took some of the black coating off the blade and I still didn't get a good burr. Damn! Gotta figure out how to get it sharpened more now. It's obviously not a Japan 15 degree blade. I may have to work it hard and switch it to 15 degrees. Performance > looks.

Looks like the 15 degree blades are easy to sharpen and the 20 degree can be harder depending on metal. I need to play with the sharpener some more to see what it can do. It's phenomenal for sharpening 15 degree blades. Supposed to be able to switch 20 degree to 15 degree but it may take a lot of passes. There is a 15-20 Chef's Choice sharpener that does both but I wanted this one because it does a better job with 15 degree and has a more intensive cutting wheel. My Global knives are all sharpened as good as or better than new. I'll just use the stropping slots on them until they need it again.

There's a magnet in the sharpener that collects the metal dust. I cleaned it once already after sharpening a dozen knives. I would compare this sharpener with a rotary car sander/buffer. Works great but I need to be careful because it can take off a lot of metal if I over sharpen. The type of metal seems to make a difference. I'm looking at picking up a Civivi flipper knife but I like the black coated blade and it may be tougher to sharpen it without damaging the coating. The Civivi Elementum is less than $100 so it's not terrible if I mess it up but do I want to get a regular blade or the black coated?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
It's hard to watch someone purposely dull knives. I like the video. Some sharpeners can shave the metal and some can't. With a dull knife, you need a sharpener that can take metal off. Honing a dull knife won't do much. You need to get that burr and then hone it. That's what I like about the Chef's Choice. It gives the burr fairly easily and then hones it to razor sharp. A stone might do a better job but it's more of an artist type device compared to just pulling a knife through a sharpener. Gotta keep the angles right on the stones. The Chef's Choice just requires you to pull the knife through it. Automatically gives you the right angle. Much easier than being precise with the stones. I'm not a pro like this guy so I want ease of use with a good finish. If this guy did more pulls with the Chef's Choice, it may have done even better. Point to consider is which sharpener will work best for you. I can slice paper all day with the Chef's Choice so I like it.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
It's hard to watch someone purposely dull knives. I like the video. Some sharpeners can shave the metal and some can't. With a dull knife, you need a sharpener that can take metal off. Honing a dull knife won't do much. You need to get that burr and then hone it. That's what I like about the Chef's Choice. It gives the burr and then hones it to razor sharp. A stone might do a better job but it's more of an artist type device compared to just pulling a knife through a sharpener. Gotta keep the angles right on the stones. The Chef's Choice just requires you to pull the knife through it. Automatically gives you the right angle. Much easier than being precise with the stones.
Best way to test is to make it dull.

I just like his testing methods and uses actual instruments to test vs people just giving thoughts or how it “feels”. To be fair, I didn’t watch your video so I don’t know if that’s what they do or not. I just know this guy uses an actual instrument to test sharpness.

Received my first tactical folding knife from my tactical promos by link. It is recommended for everyday carry (strong clasp to hold it in a pocket and the size is perfect). And the price is outstanding. The blade is definitely sharp and I hope it holds a good edge whenever I have to sharpen it. But I'm going to buy a sharpener for my kitchen knives, and I wonder whether I can use it to sharpen a tactical knife. Did anyone try it?

Reactions: oliverblack77

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
That Flyn account looks suspect too.

The Last Of Us Playstation GIF by Naughty Dog

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info