Belt Dust Question??

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Painter said:
I have excessive belt dust from my 2.8 non slip with 73.5 gatorback belt. by excessive I mean 1/4 inch thick on pully cover in 600 miles. Is this normal? My tensioner is at the halfway point.
You need Idlers bad. The smallest non-slip upper you can go with no idlers is a 2.90. I set of Idlers will greatly reduce belt slip, and keep your boost up on the top end :biggthump

Painter

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Dana said:
A Gatorback and a non-slip pulley should not be used together. The grooves in the pulley don't like the grooves in the belt. They don't play well together.
Try a regular belt instead.
That should minimize the dust.

Dan

I was hoping you would respond dana. You seem to know your shit! I remember you from the first mokena meet. Thanks for the answer and I will switch. Any recomendations

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Any name brand belt will work fine.
I and many others have had good luck with Gates belts, they are well made. A lot of the private brands, Car Quest for one, is just a re-labled Gates, so that would be fine also.

Also, as Hank mentioned, you should consider at least the upper idler and the larger idler for just below the SC. I don't know if you have these already, but that small a pulley (2.8)needs as much belt wrap as it can get.
Consider BilletFlow or Amazon for the idler pulleys if you get them.

Dan

Painter

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Dana said:
Any name brand belt will work fine.
I and many others have had good luck with Gates belts, they are well made. A lot of the private brands, Car Quest for one, is just a re-labled Gates, so that would be fine also.

Also, as Hank mentioned, you should consider at least the upper idler and the larger idler for just below the SC. I don't know if you have these already, but that small a pulley (2.8)needs as much belt wrap as it can get.
Consider BilletFlow or Amazon for the idler pulleys if you get them.

Dan

What size idler with what size belt? Thanks!!! Nice times by the way, I have been trying to get in the 11's but its difficult with the f1's. Oh yah ..ever done springs? I am putting the eibach prokits in on sunday.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Painter said:
What size idler with what size belt? Thanks!!! Nice times by the way, I have been trying to get in the 11's but its difficult with the f1's. Oh yah ..ever done springs? I am putting the eibach prokits in on sunday.
Yes, I've done springs, but mostly on the solid axle. They are not really to difficult on the IRS though and the fronts are the same as any other car.

When you order the idlers, they will be able to tell what size belt will be needed. I don't remember, there are just too many combinations.

Dan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info