Any 4t65 guru's on here?

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
Long story kinda. Working on a 3800 top swap going in a Montana van on the 'free parts' budget. I've got 4 4t65's sitting here, two are HD and two out of buicks basically.

#1; a HD trans I had from the '86 LeSabre L67 that migrated to the '93 SSEi and broke the input shaft. I rebuilt it with the 300m input shaft and output shaft, oil pump shaft, billet 3rd clutch piston, transgo shift kit, sonnax line pressure kit, gemini chain, and a bunch of stuff I probably don't remember... Put it in my '97 lesabre l67 winter beater, it operated in 3rd gear only, did a quick R&R with trans #2 only to find the issue was the body harness (ended up getting a donor and updating the '97 to a '99). That made trans #2 kinda work, but seeing as how it was a stupid electrical issue I put #1 back in.......

#2, was a U-pull deal from an H-body that I opened up and changed the chain, 4th hub, channel plate updated seals, and DIY shift kit. Fluid was clean and had minimal debris in the magnet, no signs of excessive wear in the pump and no odors to indicate slipping clutches. When I fixed the car's electrical problem it worked - except it would upshift funny. Not quite like going into neutral between shifts, and seemed to last about 1.5 seconds before grabbing the next gear. When it did 'decide' to upshift, the shift was firm like you would expect from a moderate shift kit.

Tonight's plan is to make sure the funky shift did not persist to rule out if trans #2 actually has an issue like I should have the day I put #1 back in. But for the life of me I can't find a reasonable explanation for that issue, regardless if it persists on the vehicle or was isolated to trans #2.

Trans #3, another HD unit that I was hoping had a bad pcs or something electrical, but I found out last night that it was definitely TCC failure and inside is a huge mess. It will end up donating the HD diff to #2 at this point.

Then I have trans #4, from the '99 buick donor that I know has 1st and reverse (donor car subframe fell out and had no brakes, didn't test drive it because I wanted the engine and interior and those were good) but based on who I got it from it never got updates like the 4th hub. Fluid is ok but you can tell it needs to be changed, so even though it doesn't stink of clutch burn I'm betting it needs a rebuild or will soon.

But anyhow, I need a working trans for my current project car, and was hoping that somebody might know what could cause the odd shifting issue (same issue for every upshift). I'm trying to avoid a complete rebuild, but don't want to toss in #4 just to have to change it again in a year or find out it's already lost 4th gear.

I know #2 works, no slipping or other issues that I noticed, aside from the shift behavior. I'm wondering if this could be caused by the gear set or ratio in the tune? Checking line pressure isn't an option when it's on the stand. At this point, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and tear it down anyway, I want to replace the lip seal on the input clutch piston, shim the clutch packs, check the forward apply band (can't recall if I did that already), and for the peace of mind that it's going to last me at least 5 years. Hopefully the culprit for the shifting issue (assuming it's not the car it was in) is obvious.

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
I don't keep buying them, they come with parts cars and shit, except for #2. That was a one-off. I normally just rebuild the ones i have, then one one doesn't work I like to throw in what should have been a known working one to rule out me missing something just in case...

At this point, after driving the winter beater up and down the road, it's obvious that car has some more stupid electrical issues (again again again again again, it's never going to drive at this rate), but the trans #1 shifts way better than #2. #2 is half apart already. I found some minor buildup in random places, looks like TCC mud in that one too, not a lot but in the end of two of the channels it looked gummy. So far clutch pack #4 is pristine. So as long as I can find what was causing the shift issue it should be a cheap rebuild.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Easy way to find out if the tune is correct, you should be showing 1.00 or very close to that in 3rd gear. And also make sure the speedometer is reading correctly.

However, if the transmission is out of the car, that's not going to help. You are welcome to send me the tune and I'll look at it to see if the trans is setup correctly.

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
At this point I don't think the issue was with the tune, the stupid winter beater that never works has a wiring issue. If I unplug the passenger horn nearly everything on the car stops working. Fuel pump, starter, radio, cluster, and several of the other circuits go completely dead unless the horn is plugged in. Obviously there's a problem with a ground somewhere, but that's a separate project so I'll have to deal with that later.

I'm not finding anything wrong at all with trans #2. Clutches and bands are like new, barely any wear on the bushings, no residue at all anywhere in the pistons... I still need to pull the valve body apart, but I don't expect to find any issues there. There was some odd residue (barely enough to notice) in the pressure switch manifold ports, and a little bit of metal on the neodymium magnets that are all over in the pan. The fluid was clean, the pans clean, the filter clean (no point in re-using it...). I'm going to go out on a limb and say #2 didn't actually have a problem...

I'll probably just replace the TCC as a precaution. Were there any differences between the 245mm converter and the 258mm one that prevent them from interchanging?

TurboTPI

Regular
Jan 23, 2018
Bensenville, Il
My trans in my Regal GS always had a lazy 1-2 shift. It feels like the shift takes a second then it bangs. Only under WOT. Light throttle shifts are quick and firm. Well, i think i finally broke then input shaft. During a WOT 1-2 shift it banged and now all neutrals. FML. Should have it apart today to assess the damage. You can kinda hear it in this video

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
I have a local trans machine shop that probably knows the answer to this, but years ago when I did my last full 4t65 rebuild, I didn't have any trouble finding oversized steel plates for the clutch packs.
4t65 clutches are loose from the factory, factor in wear and you have a big conribution to setting the P1811 fault. On this one I'm measuring 0.08 gap in the input, 0.10 in second, and 0.07 in third using feeler gauges (my dial indicator broke). In order to get them back down to 0.04 they used to have oversized steels (oversized external spline friction plates in the 3rd pack).

Of course, now the only one I can find online is the one for the 2nd clutch. No part number to go with it, and no part numbers to search the others. TEP mentions a custom backing plate they use for 3rd to improve clearances - but they don't have it listed in their store. I might have to cut my own shims to go between the wave plate and backing plates on this trans. This is probably the only time I'll wish I had kept a bunch of the worn out clutch plates (strip the friction material off and use as a spacer)...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info