Android Official Android Thread

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
You fucking Google pixel phone guys are worse than any drug addict I know.

They continually offer you shit after shit phone and you keep going back.
I don't run one right now and the reason would be to de-google my phone.

Pixel is the only hardware that is fully supported for AOSP by not just google, but the open source community too.

Blame Samsung and all the other fuckers who lock hardware down to make it impossible to modify. Makes all these products fucking paper weights in 5 years

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Is the in screen finger print sensor great? Absolutely not especially compared to Samsung but once I stopped looking for issues, I didn't find many during my day to day use. The modem sucks is probably the biggest weakness for me
I am just surprised the shit was even allowed to release. Feels like Google is just putting out the cheapest shit they can.

Even the camera IMO is not that impressive becaause the pictures get SOOOO much post-processing that sometimes it looks like ass because it tries to "fix" the pictures.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
it just checks a lot of my silly boxes no one else seems to care about... headphone jack, sd card slot, waterproof enough, not fucking huge. etc.
all the boxes I wish the pixel would check but Google is all about them forcing you into their ecosystem, Apple 2.0.

If someone cracks the bootloader, I may consider the sony. This way I could at least still have control to blow away the garbage apps but still stuck with google having full access to shit.

Reactions: Yaj Yak
I'm wondering if Google will actually release a mostly issue free device this time around.

I had every Pixel but the 2, but with the signal issues I had on my Pixel 6 (and not liking having a phone that big), I jumped ship to an iPhone 13 Pro. Honestly, had I never swapped from my Pixel 5 to the 6, I'd still be on a Pixel device, but the 6 frustrated me enough I decided to give iOS a try.

As far as bootloader stuff goes, I really don't see the need to dick with the Pixels like that. Maybe I outgrew it, but when I was rooting and doing ROMs it was because I was trying to get rid of Samsung, HTC., etc. bloat bullshit and to run a more "pure" Android experience. The Pixel offers that and doesn't have bloat, so I don't really get the need at this point.

EDIT: I read the bootloader deal not realizing it was in relation to the Sony. I was going to say, I thought all the Pixel devices beyond the Verizon ones were unlocked.

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
I am just surprised the shit was even allowed to release. Feels like Google is just putting out the cheapest shit they can.

Even the camera IMO is not that impressive becaause the pictures get SOOOO much post-processing that sometimes it looks like ass because it tries to "fix" the pictures.
Yeah I can't lie that all the Pixel phones seemed like we were still beta testing it for them. The 6 might have been the worst.

I I know Dxomark needs to be taken with a grain of salt as it's a paid testing. But Apple, Samsung and Google are all neck and neck every year. I'm not sure I can tell the difference if you showed me a picture from the latest iPhone or the s22 and tell you which is which. I feel like for Android the Pixel gives me the best chance of getting a decent picture. My fiance with her s21 ultra was complaining and thinking about coming back to Pixel because often she goes to take a picture and it's blurry or out of focus or generally doesn't look good.
all the boxes I wish the pixel would check but Google is all about them forcing you into their ecosystem, Apple 2.0
I can't really fault them for trying to build an ecosystem and brand. You acknowledge they are Apple 2.0 but it's not like Samsung and other manufacturers don't try to do the same thing. I don't like it any more than you. I just choose what I think is going to work the best for me or be the most tolerable.
I'm wondering if Google will actually release a mostly issue free device this time around.

I had every Pixel but the 2, but with the signal issues I had on my Pixel 6 (and not liking having a phone that big), I jumped ship to an iPhone 13 Pro. Honestly, had I never swapped from my Pixel 5 to the 6, I'd still be on a Pixel device, but the 6 frustrated me enough I decided to give iOS a try.

As far as bootloader stuff goes, I really don't see the need to dick with the Pixels like that. Maybe I outgrew it, but when I was rooting and doing ROMs it was because I was trying to get rid of Samsung, HTC., etc. bloat bullshit and to run a more "pure" Android experience. The Pixel offers that and doesn't have bloat, so I don't really get the need at this point.

EDIT: I read the bootloader deal not realizing it was in relation to the Sony. I was going to say, I thought all the Pixel devices beyond the Verizon ones were unlocked.
The 6 almost pushed me to iOS as well. I gave it 14 days or it was going to go back once I stopped looking for issues. The phone mostly worked okay. The signal thing is a big problem. I get wanting to get away from Qualcomm but I'm not sure anyone else has had any luck making a decent modem. Samsung doesn't even use their own modems. Or at least the Pixel 6 modem was never released in a Samsung phone. I'm not sure about the modem in the pixel 7.

I got tired of rooting and ROMing as well. I can think of a lot of the developers but I can't think of the names of any ROMs. Pure? Apex?

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
same. It got old trying to chase the phone with the unlocked bootloader with a good rom too
Something would always be broken too. Camara, flash, haptics, something. All the major phones had their bootloader cracked until what s5? ish era of phones. Everyone promised to have an unlock portal but I think only LG and HTC came through on some phones.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Something would always be broken too. Camara, flash, haptics, something. All the major phones had their bootloader cracked until what s5? ish era of phones. Everyone promised to have an unlock portal but I think only LG and HTC came through on some phones.
yeah for sure. There was a wall with encryption where it wasnt worth the time to find a way to break it so you waited for an employee to leak the key or have to deal with some sketchy website and do over the web ABD.

not worth it at that point.

But with Graphene OS. that really makes it a piece of cake if you can deal with the pixel.

Reactions: GTvert90

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Parks And Recreation Gimme GIF

Thread Info