đź’¬ OT Officially new Official Bored Thread

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Sounds as though you perform application administration and support for specific apps, correct? And, those applications are dated or still viable?

From that, you need to decide where you want to go next in IT or Information Security. Then, do your research and talk with people.

Tip - if you know your next career step, then go look at the job boards to understand the skills, experience and Cert requirements companies are looking for. Acquiring the Certs is straight forward, but you also need to tie in your resume your existing skills / work experience with the experience they are looking for in the job req.
All the applications are still viable, one we actually just started using, which is for CRM. The other that I primarily do is for QMS.

The former requires no programming skills, it's all front-end based management. The latter would benefit greatly from SQL, javascript, and python. Though its newest iteration drops .jsp altogether, and uses a mashup of javascript and python for internal scripting.

As for where to go next, I really have no idea. I could do either IT or IS, just depends on which is easier to learn and more in demand for the job market.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Don't suppose you could PM what you were going over?

I'm doing an admin job under the IT umbrella, but it is not actually IT work, more like Administrator to various corporate web applications. Nothing more than a HS diploma, which I sincerely regret not pursuing a higher education. So if something happens with this gig I'm severely fucked, no certificates, diplomas, or credited schooling I can fall back on. Quite a precarious situation that I would like to be out of.

Have a bunch of Udemy courses that I need to do, all programming related (SQL, javascript, python), but just can't get my old brain into it. But when applying for jobs, saying you have completed a Udemy course doesn't carry a whole lot of weight, compared to an actual college or recognized certification.

To clarify on not continuing my education, I did do some Jr. college stuff, but only a handful of general education, and everything else was attributed to graphic arts and printing. Neither of which I am doing any more. Guess at the time I shouldn't have chosen a girl over education. But I'm not exactly a great catch on the looks side, so wasn't about to let that one get away. Big mistake on my part. She's long gone and I have no formal education to show for it.

Frankly I'm burned out on computers all together, and would like to have a job when I don't have to deal with them. But in this day and age, along with my work history, I don't see that being too plausible. Just need to ride it out the next 15-20 so I can liquidate and leave.
Get a commission only job and prove yourself (sarcasm)

• Haha
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I already had my dream job at Bud. I was forced to jump from job to job in order to survive when it was eliminated. Fuck commission jobs. I will just keep looking and maybe find something less punishing on my body.
The times changed and you have refused to, not surprised it’s not going the way you want it

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Plus the physical aspect of my job is getting real old real quick. Here I am 56 years old building displays with heavy AF cases chewing on muscle relaxers and Advil
View attachment 94882
Talk to The Beast The Beast, I'm sure he can hook up a fellow countryman with a gig selling cars.
but can grow the fuck out of it. :bowrofl:
Hey buddy, you know we could make some serious side cash and you could finish your Mustang. You farm it and Ill be the mule, and dont give a fuck who reads this. Police aint fucking with people for weed, they got bigger fish to fry.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
The times changed and you have refused to, not surprised it’s not going the way you want it
If by change you mean go commission and prove myself, no thanks. That shit is so pro-owner/corpo it’s not even funny. That is so not employee friendly. Been there done that. Times are changing in favor or corporate A-holes, not the employee. Why you think people don’t want to work right now???
All these companies calling me because of my experience and want to pay me like a punk….
giphy.gif

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
If by change you mean go commission and prove myself, no thanks. That shit is so pro-owner/corpo it’s not even funny. That is so not employee friendly. Been there done that. Times are changing in favor or corporate A-holes, not the employee. Why you think people don’t want to work right now???
All these companies calling me because of my experience and want to pay me like a punk….
giphy.gif
You’re right, you are a victim. Carry on

• Haha
Reactions: Jon01 and DEEZUZ

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I found out a long time ago that to most companies you are just a number to them, regardless of your position.

I had one job that was a privately owned company that was excellent to work for. A good week? Shut down the presses at 11am on Friday and head to the park for a BBQ lunch. Was it a good month? There is a fishbowl by the time clock stuffed with $50's (sometimes $100's). Take "x" amount on your way out the door. Total honor system. If someone took more than they should have all the perks were shut down.

Managers would walk around and inspect what you were doing... "Hey great job, you just got a $1/hr raise, carry on". Back in the early 90's when I was 18 a $1/hr raise was huge.

Unlimited overtime, sometimes double time and triple time.

Thanksgiving and xmas... here is a stack of frozen turkeys sorted by weight, grab one for the family. Warm day out in the pressroom? Owner would walk around with a case of beer under his arm pitching them across presses and equipment to anybody that wanted one. Two per hour limit while on the clock.

"Hey, do you like ice cream? I like ice cream. Here's $200, go see what everyone wants from Dairy Queen. Also, take my brand new Cadillac to pick it all up."

Fuck I miss working for that guy.

He had some strict rules to follow. You're either on time or early. If you're late it better be for a good reason. If he's talking, you're listening. Your mouth and ears can't work at the same time. If you fuck up, own it. He'll help you figure out what you did wrong. Don't do it again.

He sold it to a major printer and it all went to shit. I left soon thereafter. He got something like $35,000,000 and had to sign a no-compete clause for 2 years. He bought a boat and went sailing around the Caribbean for a few years.

All that from growing up dirt poor in Rockford, where they didn't have a bucket to piss in or a window to throw it out of.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Talk to The Beast The Beast, I'm sure he can hook up a fellow countryman with a gig selling cars.

Hey buddy, you know we could make some serious side cash and you could finish your Mustang. You farm it and Ill be the mule, and dont give a fuck who reads this. Police aint fucking with people for weed, they got bigger fish to fry.
The Beast The Beast what do you say? I have sales manager experience…
giphy.gif

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Shawn1112 Shawn1112 i wonder if IL is still taking applications for marijuana licenses?? Go legit.
Fuck that, then you gotta pay taxes and play by the book. Weed dealers are still making a ton of money even with the dispensaries open.
My Wife has went to get edibles and the taxes she paid are insane.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
No, just like a medical doesn't.

But idk about buying guns at that point. Medical is no no... Dealer...idk

I would assume if you were a grower for a dispensary you should be okay, especially if youre not smoking and can say on the 4473 that you're not abusing any substance.

I imagine there would be some sort of recourse if you had a business license, and likely wouldnt be using the business name to get a new firearm and they denied you? :dunno:

Thread Info