WTB: Head Unit with USB/iPod/MP3 Capabilities

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Fuck CDs. I just bought this for the TA, though I had to purchase a $30 proprietary cable to fully work with my iPhone. I like that the aux and USB jacks are up front. $80 new.

Amazon.com: Pioneer DEH-3400UB Pioneer Deh-3400Ub Cd Player With USB/Ipod® Playback & Illuminiation: Car Electronics

I was looking at the unit right below that, but I will toss in the extra $20 for this. Does the proprietary cable hook up through the back or the front of the head unit? Does it allow control of the iPod through the head unit?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I was looking at the unit right below that, but I will toss in the extra $20 for this. Does the proprietary cable hook up through the back or the front of the head unit? Does it allow control of the iPod through the head unit?

I had those questions and couldn't find too clear of an answer. It looks like the front. Without the $30 cable, the iPod charges slower and basically acts like an aux input but with a slow charge. Using the cable gives control through the stereo and a faster charge.

Here it is:

Amazon.com: Pioneer Cd-iu51 Usb Ipod Interface Cable: Car Electronics

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I have the one listed below. Has a Ford pac for newer Fords, but I doubt that'll be useful for you. Does not play CD's, but has a super slick iPod/MP3 player holder. Let me know if you are interested and what you'd be willing to pay...

Sony DSX-S300BTX Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com

Well I if I am going to buy something I am not interested in spending anymore than the Pioneer Joe linked above. Would you accept $82? I am not trying to low-ball, just throwing it out there.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Fuck CDs. I just bought this for the TA, though I had to purchase a $30 proprietary cable to fully work with my iPhone. I like that the aux and USB jacks are up front. $80 new.

Amazon.com: Pioneer DEH-3400UB Pioneer Deh-3400Ub Cd Player With USB/Ipod® Playback & Illuminiation: Car Electronics

I bought one like that 2 years ago for my dads pontoon boat and it works very good, i also bought him that exact same one this year for his birthday for his other boat and it too works very well, he mostly plays pandora on his phone for music but they have both held up well to the abuse of boating

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I've been saying the same for years.. I've not listened to a CD or used the radio in my car in years by plugging my MP3 player into it. I planned on just getting a Clarion Preamp and plugging the MP3 player direct into the preamp but the freakin HU I have is just never going to die! If you have amps powering all your speakers and don't want to use a radio at all look into the same thing.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I bought one like that 2 years ago for my dads pontoon boat and it works very good, i also bought him that exact same one this year for his birthday for his other boat and it too works very well, he mostly plays pandora on his phone for music but they have both held up well to the abuse of boating

Awesome to hear. Thanks man. I've had a few Pioneer units over the years and am a huge fan.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Awesome. I've had it installed in the TA for about a week now and it's awesome. It charges so freakin fast. The interface is a little hard to learn but it sounds good and love that I can now play my phone's music.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Sure can. Just hit the search button, then scan through artist/track, etc. Plus, if you turn the stereo's search wheel fast enough, an abbreviated alphabet menu comes up so you can scroll from A to Z with just a click instead of scrolling a hundred times. It seems simple but so many automakers do it wrong without an A to Z menu and list every title from A to Z, which sucks for large music libraries.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info