đź’¦ Detailing Rupes 15ES vs Rupes21ES vs Flax 3401

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Okay, I'm thinking about upgrading machines... I'm assuming there will be some good deals with Xmas coming ( :fu: )
[MENTION=10447]crooks[/MENTION]
How did you like using the Flex ? Did you use a PC prior to this purchase ?
[MENTION=12441]Bird1989[/MENTION]
Do you guys mainly use the 21 in the shop ? I would think the 15 is enough for what I would use it for.
I watched a video the CG have on YouTube... they say you can use the 15s backing plate on the 21 machine... but what about the counterweight ?
[MENTION=7280]Grabber[/MENTION]

I have this from the detailing thread:

All are DA (Dual-Action) polishers.

The Rupes is the latest and greatest. It has a much bigger throw compared to its predecessors.

Here's a few things about each.

Porter Cable - Very easy to use. You literally cannot harm the paint no matter the angle and speed of this polisher unless you rub the backing plate into the paint itself. I've done a lot of testing with the PC and it is by far the friendliest of them all. Great for your average joe.

Either the high speed flex or the 3401 are awesome machines. They are actual a Forced Action machine, kind of a hybred. They not only have a 7-8MM throw, but, they do the same thing the old rotational polishers do at the same time. If you're doing heavy correction, the 3401 is the way to go. It is the swiss army knife, as I've heard of polishers. This one has my vote.

The Rupes 15/21 - Great machines, higher priced. If you want something for precision and you're just starting out in paint correction, this is great for you. The Rupes is very precise, quiet and smooth and won't take your hands off when paint correcting.

You cannot go wrong with any one of these, but, after much use on both my Flex and PC and testing with the Rupes, I'd stick with the Flex, despite how long it has been on the market. My Flex has over 100 hours of actual use and still looks and operates like new. My PC has hundreds of hours of actual use, and the same thing. It's a great little $120 machine that just keeps kicking.

Another one to throw into the mix is the Griots Garage DA. It's just like the PC, but, has a bit more power for faster correction. Now, if you don't investing time into correcting paint, those are good options. The Flex and Rupes cuts the correction time in half and is near effortless. However, they both can harm the paint if you do not have proper technique or let it get away from you.

Pad selection is also something to have a keen eye for.

Just my thoughts.

I think I may be leaning towards to Rupes 15

let me know what you guys think

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
The flex I had wasnt the 3401. I had the xfe7-15 and melted the backing plate/counter weight the first time I used it. There are pics somewhere on here. I was really leaning into it try to clear up headlights then moved to panels without any cool down time. So some of the blame is on me but I can do the same thing with my PC and it wouldnt fall apart.
Autogeek replaced it with a Rupes. I have only used it once so far just to apply some sealant. I have been really busy this summer and my vehicles are filthy sorry.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
My opinion is i dont think you can go wrong with any of 3 you mentioned. I would go with whatever is the best deal to you at the time. Any of those 3 are light years ahead of a porter cable and make paint correction effortless.
Even this was quite a step up from the pc:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OTK5JHG/?tag=tcg21-20

thanks for the link.

I'm leaning towards the Rupes 15. but will continue to research :jg:

Bird1989

Regular
Dec 24, 2015
thanks for the link.

I'm leaning towards the Rupes 15. but will continue to research :jg:

Just pull the trigger and have no regrets. We put them through there paces multiple times daily and ive even dropped them a few times and they keep on working completely fine. The only thing i dont like is that the allen tool and that is in them likes to wiggle out and im not sure if its used as a weight but all 3 of ours have them out now.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
taken from a thread on Autogeek:

Thanks, even though this is the Rupes section I think its quite fitting to give my personal opinion and experience with both the Flex 3401 and the Rupes BigFoot LHR 15 ES. Based on my last pic above I wanted to keep things fair and used foam pads, FG400 and the same hood side by side to keep all things equal.

Flex 3401 VRG: After my normal free float DAS 6 and long throw Rupes, the Flex initially caught me off guard. It tugged at me, had a noise from the gearhead, rattled and clunky sounding(naturally being gear/direct/forced driven).It grabbed, skipped and fought me even with the LC 4" BP and 5" Orange LC Hybrid pad. It kinda feels like my crazy front wheel drive drag car, torque steers. It also runs considerably hotter than my other 2 DA's, once again a natural force driven trait. Feels and behaves like an old school hotrod push rod V8 muscle car or a sledgehammer but took all of one section in the test to learn its characteristics and keep it from walking on me.

Rupes BigFoot LHR 15 ES: If the Flex felt like a thundering V8 hotrod, the Rupes feels like an S Class Mercedes or precise as a scalpel.It feels and sounds more sophisticated, no need to fight it or keep it on a leash like a pitbull, just guide it or steer it, let the long throw do the correction, hardly any pressure needed to remove almost all defects on the test section. It corrects effortlessly.

The Flex 3401 is John Rambo, the Rupes 15 BigFoot is James Bond 007.

The Rupes had/has the KB washer mod as I find it corrects faster and stalls far less this way, just to be clear. Without the mod the Flex corrects noticeably faster, with the mod the gap narrows considerably.

The Flex generates more downward force thus more heat to the paint surface so needed 2 passes less to break down the polish.

I studied the paint surface for 15 minutes after, under differing lighting and both had levelled defects equally and I could not tell much difference in the finish either. Biggest difference was the journey/experience.

The test was done before AG sent my Rupes UHS pads and Polish. The UHS pad paired with an aggressive compound(Foam vs Foam)cut faster than my Flex with the Orange Hybrid.

The Flex with the LC Blue Foamed Hybrid Wool cannot be touched in ability and speed of correction.

They both so different its not fair to compare, both give you an enjoyable/different journey to an almost identicle finish.

I love both machines and am not afraid to state that both are at the top of their game.

I have been doing more research on the pad / polish combinations that other people have been using.

Since I have enough polish for now, I'm looking into the proper pad selection.
Thankfully the Menzerna is water based and solvent free.

I read about some products damaging the Rupes brand pads.

Autogeek has a decent deal on the machine + 4 pads.
Black Wednesday.... Black Friday and Xmas sales are just around the corner.
I'm a bit impatient but should be worth the wait

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Gav'sPurpleZ
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list