Geek Squad Will Power on Your e-Reader for Only $29.99

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Geek Squad Will Power on Your e-Reader for Only $29.99

by Terrence O'Brien — Aug 5th 2010 at 9:10AM
080410-001-geek-squad-ebook-stupidity-full.jpg
Let's ignore Best Buy's murfing and endless violations of privacy for the moment, and focus on the "deals" it brazenly offers without resorting to tricks or scams (sort of). First, it was $130 to set up a PS3, a task that even our parents could handle. Then, the company generously gave away free copies of Tweetdeck, which is already free. And recently, an eagle-eyed shopper noticed that Best Buy's "hot deals" were actually priced higher than the manufacturers' suggested retail prices. After all that, the boys in blue (and yellow) had the audacity to ask you to let them install 'Red Dead Redemption' for you.

The latest blatant rip off was caught by a Consumerist reader as he walked through the aisles of his local outlet to find an offer to "set up" your e-book reader for a paltry $29.99. What exactly does this package get you? Well, the Squad will turn it on, install any firmware updates (read: press "OK" a few times), and confirm that the e-reader does, in fact, work. We almost admire the Geek Squad's gall to even offer such services, but the amount of intellectual dishonesty it takes to actually charge for such a thing just doesn't sit well with us. We'll continue to take our gadget dollars elsewhere. [From: Consumerist]

http://www.switched.com/2010/08/05/geek-squad-will-power-on-your-e-reader-for-only-29-99/

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I used to work for best buy... I NEVER sold any Geek Squad stuff. The only thing's I ever sold were protection plans on Xbox 360's because it actually made sense with the way those things crashed... other than that, I just told people it wasent worth it. I was seasonal, didnt care, and in the end they didnt keep me because I didnt sell enough Geek Squad plans :D

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
Sadly enough, there are people that go for it. Everyday people like you and me, we are smarter, we can figure it out no problem. Key audience, the old folks, and people afraid of technology. In this case, $29.99 may be a bit high for what they are doing, but something like the GPS setup we do for 14.99, that is a little more legit IMO. So stupid and ridiculous sounding, yeah most likely, but the ones afraid of the technology, they love it. As for the plans, those are hit and miss... if its cheap, go for it, sometimes it pays for itself with one trip to service, but the accidental plans are golden. $200 for a new laptop if you accidentally spill your captain and coke on your $1500 laptop...

I'm not trying to sell, or support the company, most the time i hate working there, but there are some things they seem to be on the right track with. However, the Geeksquad everyone knows gets too much money sometimes... people complain when its $50 to put a stereo in...go get a virus removed from your computer instead..lol

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
X2 on most points made... I'm Ex-Geeksquad, and alot of what we did was straight rip-off in pricing, but some things we did were great deals that even small/freelance cannot compete with *Read $99 in home wireless router setup with router included in price, and a few other lesser known deals*

but as mentioned also, why waste your breath in complaining about the price? If people will pay to have it done, then let them pay. Alot of 'pricing' was up to our discretion. It was a way to 'add value' so for example, often times if we sold an e-reader with a service plan (Which is like 80% Profit) we would then 'throw in' something like this, and make the buyer feel like they are getting a special treatment, or a better deal.

*Read $99 in home wireless router setup with router included in price, and a few other lesser known deals*

yea install a 15 dollar POS router that will break in a month and send a tech that makes 15 dollars an hour that may not password protect it. And best Buy still pockets 70 bucks.

I do this on the side more to help people in the economy. Joel asked me to fix his moms computer and when I told them the price she said "that's it?" I do not make a practice of defeating the referral business it will generate.

Foques

He who caN
Jul 18, 2008
Streamwood
X2 on most points made... I'm Ex-Geeksquad, and alot of what we did was straight rip-off in pricing, but some things we did were great deals that even small/freelance cannot compete with *Read $99 in home wireless router setup with router included in price, and a few other lesser known deals*

but as mentioned also, why waste your breath in complaining about the price? If people will pay to have it done, then let them pay. Alot of 'pricing' was up to our discretion. It was a way to 'add value' so for example, often times if we sold an e-reader with a service plan (Which is like 80% Profit) we would then 'throw in' something like this, and make the buyer feel like they are getting a special treatment, or a better deal.

same here.
I was a DA, CIA and Cadet there.. Biggest. Ripoff. Ever.

the sad thing is that I had a LOT of network set ups, and when I'd be done in like 5 minutes, people would look at me sheepishly and ask "thats it?".

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
yea install a 15 dollar POS router that will break in a month and send a tech that makes 15 dollars an hour that may not password protect it. And best Buy still pockets 70 bucks.

I do this on the side more to help people in the economy. Joel asked me to fix his moms computer and when I told them the price she said "that's it?" I do not make a practice of defeating the referral business it will generate.

Router is a netgear, $50, the wholesale is $40. DA's rarely make under $20 an hour, plus you have to take the beetle into account, the fuel, the insurance, Bestbuy would be lucky to make $10-20 off of this if they just get the network setup, regardless of how 'fast' it is.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

This guy! I was surprised how much was wrong with it (not really, shit's old) but even more surprised at the price given how much work....especially that connector!

She was quoted $300 to replace the power connector by a computer place :rofl:

Thanks again Lane.

tmbutitta

TCG Elite Member
Feb 16, 2010
Rockford
some of you guys make me :picard:

it is a business that has to make money. What they lose on the product they make up for in services. its pretty simple. These "deals" are not designed for everyone. They are for a small market.

Thinking about the OP, yes it is a rip off for Everyone on this site most likely. but think about your grandma in florida that wants to get an e-reader. Wouldnt you want her to go to Best buy? where else could she get an e-reader where the sales people will set it up for her, show her how to use it and get started with the downloading of books? :dunno:

I may be brainwashed and bought it to what best buy does, but all they are guilty of is making a buck on the stuff people ask for.

Do you think they came up with this promotion for the hell of it? highly doubt it.. i guarantee a lot of customers asked for this service, and it was something that was done for free for the first couple months- and finally they said why give our services away!

I work in Best Buy Mobile... I charge $8 to put a screen protector on a phone that can take anywhere from 2-5 minutes to install.. many tell me thats a rip off and they will do it themselves.. 90% of the time they come back more then willing to pay for it on their next one since they ruined the first one.

someone please show me where Best Buy is a non-profit organization? because last time i checked, they pay me way to well for me to just give shit away.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I got the greatest idea of all time that can save you $29.99.

How about reading the instruction/user manual?! I would have to assume that if you are buying an e-reader.....you probably like to read.....what better way to start by reading how to use the thing?

Manual takes an hour+ to read,

a 10 min hands on demonstration will 'take care of most people'

Quite a few people make more than $29.99 an hour...

If I bought something that I wanted and had NO idea how to operate, I'd happily pay $30 instead of reading the manual if someone walked me through how to set it up/use it, especially if I was making 'decent' money...

How much is your time worth?

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
meh... best buy is indeed for grandmas and people who have no idea they are paying too much money for goods. capitalism indeed. i still get angry when i hear my dad saying he is going to buy a monster HDMI cable... but hey, who am i to judge? People will continue to spend too much of products/goods not worth their weight, let em!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info