The Oceans are Saved!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
100% recyclable plastic?

New type of plastic that breaks down in an acid bath to its component molecules has been discovered.

Industry can use these molecules to build whatever type of plastic product they want and easily reduce it to those molecules when you recycle it.

Plastic pollution in the world's oceans may have a $2.5 trillion impact, negatively affecting "almost all marine ecosystem services," including areas such as fisheries, recreation and heritage. But a breakthrough from scientists at Berkeley Lab could be the solution the planet needs for this eye-opening problem – recyclable plastics.

The study, published in Nature Chemistry, details how the researchers were able to discover a new way to assemble the plastics and reuse them "into new materials of any color, shape, or form."

“Most plastics were never made to be recycled,” said lead author Peter Christensen, a postdoctoral researcher at Berkeley Lab’s Molecular Foundry, in the statement. “But we have discovered a new way to assemble plastics that takes recycling into consideration from a molecular perspective.”

new-plastic-image.jpg

new-plastic-gif.gif

https://www.foxnews.com/science/holy-grail-recyclable-plastics

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Nobody cares? 100% recyclable plastic.

IT'S A GAME CHANGER, PEOPLE!

The oceans could be cleaned up in a generation if this type of plastic starts being used.

Landfills could be reduced in size.

The Philippines and Canada wouldn't have to go to war.

Everybody posts and cries when a giant space rock might have a 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance of hitting earth but this real invention that could change history gets nothing? :eek3:

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
How much does it cost? Not going to be widely used if it costs 10x what a normal plastic container costs to produce. And as [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] said, let me know when it's actually in practice. There have been plenty of "miracle cures" or "discoveries" made in labs, that have vanished like a fart in the wind. Big plastic gonna knock it down

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Also, if the only way for this new plastic to disolve is an acid bath, the plastic is still going to float into the ocean for eternity...Now if the plastic somehow was able to disintegrate in water...but what use would that be for holding my fizzy beverage?

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
But if you look at the article [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] posted, the problem is that most of the ocean plastic was never even destined for a recycling center...it is intentionally dumped or accidentally dumped where it makes its way to the ocean. Yeah, I'm sure that an acid bath could reduce SOME of the plastic waste, but it doesn't solve the core issue.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
But if you look at the article [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] posted, the problem is that most of the ocean plastic was never even destined for a recycling center...it is intentionally dumped or accidentally dumped where it makes its way to the ocean. Yeah, I'm sure that an acid bath could reduce SOME of the plastic waste, but it doesn't solve the core issue.

#tcgdoesn'treadbro

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
You assume companies will pay to have the plastic recycled instead of still being dumped in the ocean.

Since this is not biodegradable in seawater, the oceans are not saved.

And due to the cost of manufacturing the plastic, we all will have to pay more for this plastic. We pay more, the ocean still fucked over. Nothing changes but our bank account and the pockets of executives at big companies.

*edit* Kensington beat me to the issue still at hand.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Yeah cool stuff but its another pipe dream. We could also convert plastic back into a usable fuel too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=102&v=lyNHVOa5P0U

Big oil has too much influence in plastics. Plastic and petrochemical demand is globally rising in developing nations. So while fossil fuel demand decreases, their plan to stay viable is going to be in plastics.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info