Anyone here mod their nes/snes classic?

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Do you know how to access the codes during gameplay? There should be a quick menu, then you'd select cheats and/or load cheats, then if I'm not mistaken, should me left or right to enable. Apply then back out and resume your game.

I havent modded mine yet but I plan on modding all my classics (NES, snes, playstation)

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Do you know how to access the codes during gameplay? There should be a quick menu, then you'd select cheats and/or load cheats, then if I'm not mistaken, should me left or right to enable. Apply then back out and resume your game.

I havent modded mine yet but I plan on modding all my classics (NES, snes, playstation)

I do not know how to access the codes during gameplay.
I can't find any info on it.

Also looking to mod my SNES but seems hackchi uses the same game list for each. I want to make them different I think..unless the nes can handle snes games?

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I installed retroarch and got snes and nes working on the snes mini. If you hold start and hit select the retroarch menu shows up. What i don't like is that you have to scroll through a never ending list of the games (pre loaded) to find the cheat you want. When you open the next game the same cheats are loaded for the last game. If you have things like 4 lives turned on and 8 lives turned on the game will freeze.
I wish it would load the cheat file as the game loads.
You can turn on cheats and save that file so you dont have to thumb through a list of cheats on the next round but you still have to manually load it.
let me know if you find anything different

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Forgive my antiquity please.

I have 2 original NES systems and an original game genie. One plugs the cartridge into the game genie and plugs the game genie/cartridge combo into the NES as normal.

One starts the system and puts in the game genie business and it is somewhat different for each game.

Clearly, this is NOT the subject matter of this thread as I read it.

How does one "Mod" the NES? Or is this referring to modding much newer equipment than original 90's NES's with original plug in adapter game genies?

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Forgive my antiquity please.

I have 2 original NES systems and an original game genie. One plugs the cartridge into the game genie and plugs the game genie/cartridge combo into the NES as normal.

One starts the system and puts in the game genie business and it is somewhat different for each game.

Clearly, this is NOT the subject matter of this thread as I read it.

How does one "Mod" the NES? Or is this referring to modding much newer equipment than original 90's NES's with original plug in adapter game genies?

This is in reference to modding the newer "Classic" version of the consoles that have been more recently reintroduced. The mini versions that come preloaded with a set amount of games.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
A few notes I found that may be helpful
Select / start brings up the retroarch menu if you have it installed
Down / select will bring you back to the main menu on the new classic (newer ones only I believe or all systems if hackchi is installed)
GameStop has wireless controllers for nes and snes for only $15. Just grabbed a few. Same exact one I paid $25 for earlier this year
To play nes games on snes or vice versus, on Hakchi, go to install modules and add the retroarch nes or snes. You can also add the cheats here
Newer nes classic CE model seems to have about double the storage as the snes
If the nes classic has nintendo offical seal above where it says nintendo on the bottom left of the box (newer models) you need hackchi CE software, if not the hackchi will work.
Games are limited to 45 a folder. It says not recommended for more than that. Couldn’t find the exact reason but I think it had to do with image size per folder not game size, as someone suggested
You can change the icons of the folders in the structure menu.
When adding games they have no picture art. Auto doing this seems to be about 90% correct or you can manually thumb through it and find the best image. Some are watermarked.
The list of games on the left side of hackchi do not match the folder structure of how it’s stored I in the system. Hit structure then custom (I think it’s custom, second from the top, hit it twice to bring up the actual folder layout)
Bunch of other stuff you can do but I haven’t messed with any of it.
Use the usb cable that came with it. If you use a different one windows will see the usb device but the software will not. Plug into the back USB port. Hold reset, turn power on and let go of reset. Power light should be off, that’s how you want it
Found a great tutorial about 7min long on YouTube.

Going to try and see if retroarch will work with genesis games next

No idea on the specs of these and haven’t looked into it but hoping it can do some Dreamcast or n64 games, but won’t get my hopes up

here is the video i followed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhdljvsNIsQ

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
A few notes I found that may be helpful
Select / start brings up the retroarch menu if you have it installed
Down / select will bring you back to the main menu on the new classic (newer ones only I believe or all systems if hackchi is installed)
GameStop has wireless controllers for nes and snes for only $15. Just grabbed a few. Same exact one I paid $25 for earlier this year
To play nes games on snes or vice versus, on Hakchi, go to install modules and add the retroarch nes or snes. You can also add the cheats here
Newer nes classic CE model seems to have about double the storage as the snes
If the nes classic has nintendo offical seal above where it says nintendo on the bottom left of the box (newer models) you need hackchi CE software, if not the hackchi will work.
Games are limited to 45 a folder. It says not recommended for more than that. Couldn’t find the exact reason but I think it had to do with image size per folder not game size, as someone suggested
You can change the icons of the folders in the structure menu.
When adding games they have no picture art. Auto doing this seems to be about 90% correct or you can manually thumb through it and find the best image. Some are watermarked.
The list of games on the left side of hackchi do not match the folder structure of how it’s stored I in the system. Hit structure then custom (I think it’s custom, second from the top, hit it twice to bring up the actual folder layout)
Bunch of other stuff you can do but I haven’t messed with any of it.
Use the usb cable that came with it. If you use a different one windows will see the usb device but the software will not. Plug into the back USB port. Hold reset, turn power on and let go of reset. Power light should be off, that’s how you want it
Found a great tutorial about 7min long on YouTube.

Going to try and see if retroarch will work with genesis games next

No idea on the specs of these and haven’t looked into it but hoping it can do some Dreamcast or n64 games, but won’t get my hopes up

here is the video i followed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhdljvsNIsQ

Would you recommend the nes or snes? Basically just looking to get into the snes but want the most amount of games... and wouldn’t mind being able to play nes games on it...

Shocker

ShockerRacing.com
Feb 21, 2008
Aurora, IL
Would you recommend the nes or snes? Basically just looking to get into the snes but want the most amount of games... and wouldn’t mind being able to play nes games on it...
I was pretty picking about modding my Nes classic... No game doubles, games that wouldn't work got deleted... I believe I ended up with about 750 games.

The super nes classic will hold about 215 games.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015

I now have snes and genesis games working on the nes. And it’s saying 336mb free which is more than snes. So I would get a nes, it’s also cheaper

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info