Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/30/tech/marriott-hotels-hacked/

New York (CNN Business)Marriott says its guest reservation system has been hacked, potentially exposing the personal information of approximately 500 million guests.

The hotel chain said Friday the hack affects its Starwood reservation database, a group of hotels it bought in 2016 that includes the St. Regis, Westin, Sheraton and W Hotels.

Marriott said hackers had gained "unauthorized access" to the Starwood reservation system since 2014, but the company only identified the issue last week.

"The company recently discovered that an unauthorized party had copied and encrypted information, and took steps towards removing it," Marriott said in a statement.

For 327 million people, Marriott says the guests' exposed information includes their names, phone numbers, email addresses, passport numbers, date of birth and arrival and departure information. For millions others, their credit card numbers and card expiration dates were potentially compromised.

Marriott warns that it can't confirm if the hackers were able to decrypt the credit card numbers.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
almost like nowadays, it's not IF you're info will be exposed, but moreover, when.

A lot of modern security systems rely on tracking data leakage as well as the breech its self; In an odd way it's probably easier to track data leakage because there is typically more of it and it doesn't matter what they use to do the hacking.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Companies should NEVER permanently save card details IMO. And if they do....SALTED HASH!!!!!

personally, i avoid saving my credit/debit card information on any service if possible. Yeah its a pain typing in the card or your bank account when buying/making payments BUT it can protect you from companies mishandling your data.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Companies should NEVER permanently save card details IMO. And if they do....SALTED HASH!!!!!

personally, i avoid saving my credit/debit card information on any service if possible. Yeah its a pain typing in the card or your bank account when buying/making payments BUT it can protect you from companies mishandling your data.

I wish "one shot" CC #s would take off. A browser API of some kind where you'd enter your auth and it would fill the details in automatically would be great. Obviously 2 factor.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I wish "one shot" CC #s would take off. A browser API of some kind where you'd enter your auth and it would fill the details in automatically would be great. Obviously 2 factor.
Some companies do that, but a majority don't. I agree. Randomly generated 1 time use virtual CCs would be nice

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
It should be noted the hacks go all the way back to 2014 and, as far as I’ve read, don’t affect Marriott guests. Just Starwood guests.

I’ve never asked for a passport to make a reservation. And if a guest uses one as an ID during the check-in process, no information from it is recorded on the res. We just verify names match.

At least in the US. Don’t know what the process is for other countries.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info