Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/plastic-straw-ban-santa-barbara-jail-time-punishment/

The city of Santa Barbara has passed an ordinance that will allow restaurant employees to be punished with up to six months of jail time or a $1,000 fine for giving plastic straws to their customers.

The bill was passed unanimously last Tuesday, and covers bars, restaurants, and other food-service businesses. Establishments will still be allowed to hand out plastic stirrers, but only if customers request them.

Santa Barbara’s ordinance “is likely the most severe straw ban in the country,” according to Reason, but it’s far from the only straw ban. Seattle banned plastic straws earlier this month, mandating a a $250 fine for violators. Santa Barbara, however, has gone much further than Seattle — even aside from the harsher punishments its law imposes. Santa Barbara has banned not only plastic straws, but also compostable straws. Oh, and each individual straw counts as a separate infraction, meaning that if someone got busted handing out straws to a table of four people, he or she could end up facing years behind bars.

2QuikTA

Addict
May 30, 2011
But yet the whappafrappacrappa latte's still have a huge, clear plastic dome lid and their water bottles are still made of plastic.

We really need to saw off California, really!

Easier to recycle bottles and I’m sure the lids as they are larger. Small plastic pieces like straws and caps tend to just end up as garbage anyway even if you try to recycle them.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
"What were you in prison for?"

"I sold someone a plastic straw"

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Six months in jail per straw. Fucking really.
What country are we living in again?

I'd totally like to see them try to arrest someone for that and see the person resist, with force:

Shoot a bunch of straw police dead as they come to make the arrest.

Take hostages in the restaurant and have a three day standoff while the perp demands a getaway bus and a fully fueled 747 at the airport to make his getaway.

Finally the Straw Swat Team goes in and takes the guy out but accidentally kills three hostages in the melee.

All over a plastic straw.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info