Need GoPro Advice

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
I'm going to be driving from Alaska to Arizona in a couple weeks and am thinking about mounting a GoPro above my windshield. Couple quick questions:

1.) Would I even be able to? Thinking about file size here. Would it even be worth it?

2.) Do they make wide angle lens for them? I'm not sure the standard lens would capture the enormity of what I'm about to drive through.

Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
to my knowledge Gopros don't have interchangeable lenses. File size would be mammoth, but you can do wifi connectivity at least with my knockoff. If you could wifi it to a PC and have say a multi TB hdd in there you'd probably be in pretty good shape for a lot of footage. Depending on what you're doing time lapse may be a good consideration. Lastly, they kind of have a reputation for slurping batteries. I'd probably end up looking for an alternative, I'd say [MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION] would be a good guess on who to ask.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
So what I did for my road trip was use a dash cam, a handful of 32gb micro sd cards and a laptop with a 500gb external drive for offloading the video. I was able to get about 5-5.5 hours of 1080p@30fps for each 32gb card.

I would then take out the full one, put in an empty card into the dash cam and then copy/paste the videos off the full sd card onto my external hard drive.

If your camera can handle 64-128gb sd cards, youll be swapping less but eventually it'll get full and need to be downloaded off the sd cards onto something bigger.

I have about 50 hours of video doing this for our road trip. I had 3-4 micro sd cards and would just download them all before bed. 50 hours of video ended up being like 300gb of video

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
So what I did for my road trip was use a dash cam, a handful of 32gb micro sd cards and a laptop with a 500gb external drive for offloading the video. I was able to get about 5-5.5 hours of 1080p@30fps for each 32gb card.

I would then take out the full one, put in an empty card into the dash cam and then copy/paste the videos off the full sd card onto my external hard drive.

If your camera can handle 64-128gb sd cards, youll be swapping less but eventually it'll get full and need to be downloaded off the sd cards onto something bigger.

I have about 50 hours of video doing this for our road trip. I had 3-4 micro sd cards and would just download them all before bed. 50 hours of video ended up being like 300gb of video

Great info! Thank you. With it taking up that much space, I may just pass on it. I knew it would be big.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info