Need a gas line run

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Gas lines are super easy, you should make sure you arent overloading your gas meter and line size first tho

How does someone go about that? I have a line running around my house for a fireplace, that I'd want to intercept and either T or cap the fireplace and use the line for a stove/cooktop. That line would need to be poked through an outside wall and into the house where the stove is now.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
How does someone go about that? I have a line running around my house for a fireplace, that I'd want to intercept and either T or cap the fireplace and use the line for a stove/cooktop. That line would need to be poked through an outside wall and into the house where the stove is now.

It is all line size and run. Once you know that you can figure out max btus:

38quot-gas-line-for-weber-genesis-230-terry-love-plumbing-remodel-diy-professional-forum-natural-gas-pipe-diameter-l-ac4b0ef15d15952d.jpg

As far as your meter go look at your model and you should be able to google that or call the gas company and figure it out. I think a standard meter is a 250 cubic foot meter.

* I googled that chart real quick to give you an idea. I did not check it to make sure it is right.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
It is all line size and run. Once you know that you can figure out max btus:

38quot-gas-line-for-weber-genesis-230-terry-love-plumbing-remodel-diy-professional-forum-natural-gas-pipe-diameter-l-ac4b0ef15d15952d.jpg

As far as your meter go look at your model and you should be able to google that or call the gas company and figure it out. I think a standard meter is a 250 cubic foot meter.

* I googled that chart real quick to give you an idea. I did not check it to make sure it is right.

Thank you sir, I'll check that out! I'm also not sure of the line size going to the fireplace, so I'll have to check that out too.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
Aside from material like piping, and brackets, most you usually need is 1 pair of monkey wrenches, some harvey seal (yellow paste sealant), wire brush and brake cleaner to do the job.

250 is the typical gas meter size size. You'll need to figure out the approx total length of the pipe needed, get your BTU/hr rating of your new heater, then get the BTU/hr of every gas appliance in your home.

From that information you can see if you are overloading the main line size / meter. The point of the test is to make sure you wont be robbing pressure/volume from other appliances. For instance, you may use your garage heater and everything works until you turn the stove on....then your hot water heater pilot goes out. Lol

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
One thing people often miss is that gas is low pressure. Don't compare it to your water. People often think I can turn on my showers and my hose and plenty of water comes out.

Your appliances get enough gas based on volume so pipe size is very important and starvation, discussed above, is a real issue. You don't want your furnace not running!

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I honestly would not probably do it myself...with the poke through from the outside, I'd rather a professional come and do the sealing around the poke through. And also, gas scares me, I'd probably need to watch someone do it a few times, before I would feel comfortable enough to do it myself.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
I honestly would not probably do it myself...with the poke through from the outside, I'd rather a professional come and do the sealing around the poke through. And also, gas scares me, I'd probably need to watch someone do it a few times, before I would feel comfortable enough to do it myself.

Grab a hammer drill and bit with some sealant!

Go watch some youtube videos, the technical details are the hardest part to figure out. Any monkey can throw together some line!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yeah I did my garage gas line and it wasn't that hard. I did what was described above and put in a valve right at the T for testing. I had to help my brother re route his main coming out of his meter and wasn't a big deal. Just gotta pop that cherry!

I would have loved to run a gas line for my garage, but the shape/design of my house to garage layout is prohibitive of it :(. (Split Level, with the garage 'smushed' into the split-level part of it so there are simply no accessible walls or areas that go from the house into the garage).

Side-Note - Armbrust (Wheaton area) did my gas line for my nat Gas grill on my patio, VERY VERY reasonable price, but it was a dead-straight shot so I'm sure I could have done it if I had the patience.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info