Who has a Sleep Number Bed?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I acquired a Sleep Number bed tonight so I am curious what owners think about them.

Amy and I met some friends at the local Friday night auction. We were planning on bidding on some bamboo sheets for our bed. There was a Sleep Number iLE mattress set and rails in the auction so I took a look at it. It was in great shape, near new and everything worked fine using the remote. Pumped up, released air down. The same model is available for $2,449 online now.

I wanted it but wasn't going to pay much. Bidding started. Auctioneer asked for $500. $250. $100. He got a $100 bid. I bid $150. Guy behind me bids $200. I'm not going to get into a bidding war so... Adios Sleep Number.

Now, for the strange part. My buddy's wife walks back to talk to him and comes back and says "Guess what? Ray won the mattress." My buddy is in the back of the auction bidding against me. :trump:

He comes up and says "Sorry." I didn't realize that was you. The whole reason he was interested in the mattress is because I showed him the price online and showed him all the features of the bed. Our wives knew I was bidding on it. He missed that fact.

Anyway, he sells me the mattress for $200 + auction fees. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

So, do any of you guys use a Sleep Number mattress? If so, what number do you like? How's the mattress?

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I have the i8 split king, love the mattress and the zero G base. Hands down best sleep I have ever gotten. It took a week or two to get used to it so give it some time for you to adjust. I started at 35 and now over a year later sleeping at 50

The only thing I don't like is there aren't a lot of options for sheets for the split beds and those that do make them are recockulous in their pricing!

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
For many years I had a lot of trouble sleeping on a standard typical bed due to my severe back pain. Every morning was a big painful production for me to roll out of bed. And I say roll not get up. I simply could not get up. I had to roll out of bed, make my way to the floor and start the painful process of stretching for 45min. It was a very difficult and painful daily nightly struggle.

Finally about 6 years ago we bought the Serta iComfort adjustable beds. We choose two separate twins that equal a king size since we've always had King size beds. It cost us more but I needed my own separate adjustability. It raises the legs, back/head, more adjustments for the head, adjustable lumbar, many vibration modes, blue tooth speakers, four USB ports and under the bed lights which are awesome as I'm not blinded by bright lights early in the morning or late at night.

Simply put, it was the best $7,000 we ever spent. Sure it was a lot of money. Zero percent for four years made it a no brainer. I have never slept so damn good ever. I can not sleep on a flat bed any more due to my back. I wake up and get up, not roll out of bed like before. I wake up virtually pain free every morning now. I sleep in the "zero g" position even on my sides. The zero g position is pictured below. If you have bad back pain. Do yourself a favor and buy an adjustable bed. You will not regret it.

I sleep in this position every night without fail.
41452b29a2cfe176a3953d41049d7d4f.jpg

My remote

5df2dd2124d773dc8a46108b88792a83.jpg

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
We considered it but then stayed at a hotel with them, raddison?, and it was terrible so we took it off the list and bought a twmpurpedic. I later found out radios on has their base model, which is terrible
Marketing for sleep number, and basically we slept on just another crap hotel bed.... when we replace our current bed we plan to reevaluate it.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I set up the bed and then decided it was nap time. Set the sleep number for my side on 35 and climbed in.

The first thing I noticed is I sink more into this bed than our last standard mattress. From what I read/watched, that's supposed to happen as you are supposed to support all parts of the body equally to keep the spine aligned.

I slept for an hour and woke up feeling great. Bamboo sheets are soft, bed is comfy. Only problem is I lost one of the pillow cases somewhere. :dunno:

It has to be buried in the bed. I'll find it when Amy gets home.

Thumbs up for buying a $2,500 bed with the platform for $200 and then finding the bed is comfortable. Auctions FTW! :bigthumb:

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I have the lowest model P series I think. The entry one that had different settings for each side. Added a pillow top and 4" gel pad. Hated it for a week or two until I found a good number (55) and now I love it. Been 3 years and I can't live without one

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
It works perfect for us. My wife has to have a super soft bed while I prefer much firmer. I could honestly sleep on almost anything and not wake up in pain. She was in agony in any of the 3 queen beds we had when we moved in. They give deals for nurses so we opted for a king bed and 3 years later no issues and far less back pain for her.

We had one leaky bed valve they sent us out a new one and it was all fixed in under a week.

Mine is 12 years old, king size pillow top. The bed but one of the motors for moving the mattress failed after 4 years and it was going to be 3 or 4 hundred to fix it on their shitty prorated warranty. Since we never used it much we didn't fix it.

I'm a fat ass so after all these years i need to pull out the pillow top pad and replace it. I'm thinking one of those gel coat cooling pads they sell at Sam's club.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Mine is 12 years old, king size pillow top. The bed but one of the motors for moving the mattress failed after 4 years and it was going to be 3 or 4 hundred to fix it on their shitty prorated warranty. Since we never used it much we didn't fix it.

I'm a fat ass so after all these years i need to pull out the pillow top pad and replace it. I'm thinking one of those gel coat cooling pads they sell at Sam's club.

I thought it was a 25 year warranty?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Bumping this up. Anyone else with a sleep number and what are your thoughts. I’m convinced my mattress is causing my back issues. In Florida last week, I had zero back issues. Back home now for almost a week and every morning it’s fucked. They have a BF sale going right now including 0% for 36 months. My brother and 2 other friends have them and say it’s the best money they ever spent. Just curious if anyone else thinks the same as it’s not cheap

Reactions: Jon01 and sktchy

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
Bumping this up. Anyone else with a sleep number and what are your thoughts. I’m convinced my mattress is causing my back issues. In Florida last week, I had zero back issues. Back home now for almost a week and every morning it’s fucked. They have a BF sale going right now including 0% for 36 months. My brother and 2 other friends have them and say it’s the best money they ever spent. Just curious if anyone else thinks the same as it’s not cheap
It's because you were in paradise, now your back in hellinois. :s00ls:

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
Bro, you know as well as I do, there is nothing paradise about the Orlando/Kissimmee area.
It 100% has some areas that have the west side of Chgo feel to it, which doesnt bother me, but far from paradise.
I definitely know. I dont understand why so many people go to orlando and then go home. If youre not hitting the gulf beaches and the islands youre truley missing out.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I definitely know. I dont understand why so many people go to orlando and then go home. If youre not hitting the gulf beaches and the islands youre truley missing out.
Never been on the gulf side but thats what I keep hearing. Orlando, Kissimmee, and the whole Miami area arent much different than Chgo outside of the weather imo.

Reactions: cdh027

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I think it's worth noting that mfs will spend ungodly amounts of money on the chiropractor and go home to sleep on a saggy ass 20 year old mattress somebody's grandma gave them and wearing flat ass work boots with no arch talking bout be a man and on a 15 lb restriction from the last time they "fucked themselves up" at work.

Reactions: Jon01 and Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Investing in a good bed is worth it. If you know two solid people then probably worth it

Flyn says it’s the best thing ever, what else do you need to know? :s00ls:
The only advice I'd ever take from Flyn is grilling/smoking. It appears he is pretty good at that and we kinda agree on some things related.
Anything else, he can go fuck himself

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So we just went to the store and did the instore presentation thing. We liked the i8 a lot as thats what my brother and 2 other friends have.
My only issue and I have some research to do today. We get a 100 day trial, if for any reason we dont like it, we can return it, no questions asked.
However, thats only the mattress, we are stuck with the adjustable frame which is $3k and the headboard/bed surround which is $2k. The salesman said all companies that sell their version of the Sleep Number are exactly the same, your only allowed to return the mattress.

He did tell me the headboard and bed surround is made by Bernhardt. They are a high end furniture dealer who I have an excellent relationship with. I store and deliver all their demo furniture and have been doing so for 6-7yrs, they have been a customers of ours for 20yrs. I'm going to fire off an email to the lead Chgo rep and ask her if she can get me that for cost or near cost.

Thread Info