Official Smart Home / Home Automation thread

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Recently I finally bought my own house and have been looking into home automation, smart thermostats, energy usage data collection and everything regarding IoT (Internet of Things....aka everything becomes "smart"). This thread will be geared towards devices, software and the good/bad of them.

I had researched "Smart home devices" in the past but the problem I always had was choosing what devices and manufacture to go with... There are 100s of different devices and not only that, but how long will they support the devices? How long will the software that runs them will be supported? What happens if they decide to just trash a product? Will I end up with $1000 worth of useless electronics because they dropped support? Regular updates? These are important questions because these devices will easily be used 5-10+ years if they are installed in a house and I don't want to have to upgrade every few years because Samsung decides they want to get out of Smart Homes.

I looked into dozens of Hubs (Samsung SmartThings, Wink, Amazon Echo/Google Home, Lenovo, etc...) and the protocols used. Do I go with Wifi devices? Do I go with Zwave Radio frequency devices? Bluetooth? Each has their own advantages and disadvantages (which I will list below) and of course each only connect to certain devices or limits you to certain products.

It can get pretty confusing just looking at what to buy and where to start so I'm going to document my Smart Home journey (and headaches) and hopefully that can help you guys decide what is best for you.

This first post in this thread will contain general information which I will update as I come across new devices, software and protocols.

The second will contain my current home setup and devices I am using, why I chose those and what I am using them for. I will keep that updated as I change my home setup.

Communication types for Hubs/Devices:

Bluetooth:

Pros: Easy to setup, usually using your phone. No Hub needed usually.
Cons: limited range 30-50ft, limited integration.

Wifi (2.4ghz):

Pros: Easy to setup. No Hub needed with some devices. Utilizes existing home wifi network for communication. Good range depending on the router
Cons: Lots of devices can crowd the 2.4ghz range. Some routers may have problems with bandwidth if a lot of devices are using it.

900-920Mhz range: Zwave and Zigbee use this range.

Pros: Decent Range (100ft). Creates its own network so no crowding up the router. Minimal power draw.
Cons: Proprietary frequency so a hub or communication device is required.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I have a SmartThings and I've been happy with it. Currently controlling:

- Schlage front door lock - Can lock or unlock my door from anywhere
- Outside house lights - Turns them on at sunset and off at sunrise each day automatically
- Water sensor - Placed right next to my sump pump well to alert my phone and house alarm if senses water
- Motion senors, door sensors, window sensors - When armed will set off alarm in house and notify phone

We also have a Nest thermostat and have been very happy with it.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Guess I'll contribute:

Wink Hub, Along with an Amazon Echo for the Voice Control:
- Leak Smart in Crawl
- Nest Protect Smoke Dectectors both upstairs and downstairs
- Nest Thermostat
- All major lights (Living/dining/hallway areas, both via Smart bulbs and Smart Fixtures)
- GoControl Premium Security Suite
- Pivot Power Genius (power strip for my fish tank, doubles as light timer)
- 2 Wink Relays (Which are basically just 5 inch Android screens mounted to replace wall switches that allow control of everything outside of my phone or voice control, and they increase range)

I plan on installing the GoControl garage door opener to loop that into the suite, and littering some Amazon 'Dots' around the house to broaden the voice control later this year.

My Camera setup is a separate system by DLink, as it has provisions for SD Card storage on top of having a web/phone app to actively watch the camera.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I got my ecobee3 installed a few weeks back. So far so good.

I would like to eventually integrate...

-Water sensor
-Door/window sensors
-Smart exterior lighting
-Smart interior lighting
-Smart outlets/fixtures

I've gone LED in most of my house already, would like to control remotely if possible.

What's the best way, in everyone's opinion to control lights (exterior and interior) and the box, at the switch, the fixture itself, or the bulb (didn't know that was even a thing)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I've gone LED in most of my house already, would like to control remotely if possible.

What's the best way, in everyone's opinion to control lights (exterior and interior) and the box, at the switch, the fixture itself, or the bulb (didn't know that was even a thing)

I made mistakes on this, it depends on how much you want to spend Vs. convience factor.

The Box/Switch is the 'best' way to do it, because then you retain full functionality when just pressing the button as you did with the normal switch. This can add up in a hurry at $40+ Per switch, and there are limitations (Specifically you really can't do 3 way switches in the traditional sense, you have to use one as the 'parent', and then use the other as a slave controlling the parent switch).

Smart Fixtures are a bit of a mistake to use unless you are 100% committed to phone or voice control, because sometimes devices have trouble re-syncing when manually turned off at the switch. I specifically use a smart fixture for my main upstairs hallway light and just leave the actual wall switches always set to on, and configured a 'robot' in WINK to turn it off after 30 minutes.

Floor Lamps are super easy and actually probably the cheapest option (Bulbs are $12-15 each depending upon brand). I don't mind committing to voice control or app control only for those and just leaving them 'on' always.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions, or if you want to see my setup.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
my latest was Rainmaker to replace the Hunter C old school sprinkler controller.

hqdefault.jpg

07ae84e568.png

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004

-Water sensor
-Door/window sensors
-Smart exterior lighting
-Smart interior lighting
-Smart outlets/fixtures

I ended up using the bulbs on the outside of my house. I originally went with the switch, but the electrical wiring in my old house would not allow the switch to be wired in.

I've been happy with the bulbs, you just create a "routine" and define which bulbs you want to turn on/off and when.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I made mistakes on this, it depends on how much you want to spend Vs. convience factor.

If the switch on the wall only controls a light/outlet that you want to control, a smart light switch or a smart micro switch (basically a smart relay between the original light switch and 120v, light switch loses a "on/off" position and instead just switches the status of the relay. A little cheaper to buy.) Is the best options.

Smart bulbs are cool for like color effects with rainbow LED bulbs but lose their usability once you realize the power switch has to be on all the time and you have to use a app/ programmed event to control it (lights turn on with motion for example) and the light switch is now a permanent on device and rather useless.
[MENTION=73]tinfoilhat[/MENTION]

You still have my number yea? Give me a call, come over sometime, you can see my Wink setup and see if you like it.

*Edit*

Giggity
Yeah still got it :). I actually looked into the wink and instead went the open source route with a Raspberry Pi 3 and Home Assistant. More programming and back end work but way more customization, wider community support and the biggest factor is compatibility with a lot more devices at cheaper price points. Plus I had one laying around and they are cheap to replace if it dies.

Those stand alone devices you mention now can be integrated with everything else and play together...usually :rofl:
excellent, so makes sense to kind of keep each home/build to its own thread, then people can compare notes. I've added enough intelligence where I could probably create a thread too.
It would definitely not be a bad idea. I was thinking maybe an official thread giving product details and reviews and then have links to everyone's home "build".

I have a SmartThings and I've been happy with it. Currently controlling:

- Schlage front door lock - Can lock or unlock my door from anywhere
- Outside house lights - Turns them on at sunset and off at sunrise each day automatically
- Water sensor - Placed right next to my sump pump well to alert my phone and house alarm if senses water
- Motion senors, door sensors, window sensors - When armed will set off alarm in house and notify phone

We also have a Nest thermostat and have been very happy with it.

What water sensor?

That and a smart Lock are next. I haven't decided yet to go with full blown RFID wired access control or what you did with a smart battery operated lock. I have to look into the security and what boards are inside before installing one.

-Water sensor
-Door/window sensors
-Smart exterior lighting
-Smart interior lighting
-Smart outlets/fixtures

There's 4 ways to control power.

Smart switch.
Smart outlet (built in or plugged in).
Smart relay (goes between switch and 120v).
Smart device.

Most lights are wired with just the switch between power to the device. For those you have the relay, switch, or device. After that it's price and preference really.

A device can be moved room to room easily and may provide more features like color changing.

A switch can be used for anything using that 120v source, for example, if you wanted to replace the light with say a fan. Same with a relay. Some provide energy usage and monitoring. If it's a dimmer light bulb situation then you may need to go with a switch that can regulate voltage and a relay may make it not dim anymore.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

-Water sensor
-Door/window sensors
-Smart exterior lighting
-Smart interior lighting
-Smart outlets/fixtures

In my garage I had 3 things I wanted for now:

1) Control N & W exterior light which both had dedicated hard switches and each wall and even remove the switch if possible and still control the device. (it is)

2) Control existing garage opener.

3) Monitor power usage of my aerator pump to know it is running all the time and alert my when it stops.

I used 4 devices to accomplish all of those things.

1) I went with a Aeon Labs Micro Smart Energy Switch(relay) G2. It provides control over what's connected to it and allowed me to get rid of the light switch. These things are tiny and around 30-35$ so a few bucks cheaper then a smart switch.

77d90bca968c7b4782a90432cddadf90.jpg

b463ef44cda68b21ca6b63e41e60fd65.jpg

2) Garadget. $80 and turns any opener "smart". Will tell you open/closed and allow control remotely. Excuse my shit wiring right now.

c14db2e3c3ba11034f9791bfa28e293f.jpg

3) TPlink smart plug outlet. Super simple, plugs in and then you plug in what you want to control and see it's energy usage. I thought it was just a bit expensive at 40$ but it works for what I need.

a7c6fe4b54517ce2e659143446d5b0e9.jpg

And sorry for sounding all selly with this post lol I was writing it to paste later on above :rofl: but gives a couple options for light control.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I'll bump this old thread.. got a Phillips hue white 4 bulb starter pack for Christmas. The switch for the garage door outside light is over by the overhead door and basically ends up on all the damn time. I ended using the extra bulbs to use at the front door too and on in a small lamp by the front door to use more like a night light so we don't fumble around in the dark when we come in at night. With this I now have sunset timers and various off times for everything

I'm completely new to any of this but I Got to say for a basic setup it's some cool shit.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Holy shit I’m up to 15 Hue bulbs. Combined with taps, dimmers, motion sensors, Alexa and Siri, and different timers and sunrise/sunset sensing, and also geofencing I can honestly say it really feels like a “futuristic home”. The lights are always on when they need to be and off when I’m not home and we never need to get out of bed just to flip off a hall light. It’s not cheap but Hue works how a future home should work

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm having a hard time getting Amy to understand the command to Alexa when we walk in the front door is "Alexa, living room on". You can add other words but you need those four. She keeps focusing on "lights" and swearing at the innocent device. Then she swears at me when I use the correct phrase. Then she swears at Alexa again. :shrug:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info