Illinois may tax pop and sugary drinks

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
Amid budget deficit, Illinois considers taxing sodas and sugary drinks | WFLD

"SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Lawmakers scrambling to find money to fix Illinois' multibillion dollar deficit are looking to sugary drinks as one potential source of revenue.

Taxing distributors of sodas, energy drinks and other sugary beverages was among the revenue-generating ideas a group of lawmakers proposed to Gov. Bruce Rauner and other legislative leaders last week to try to finally end a nearly yearlong impasse that's left the state without a budget."

"The proposal in Illinois would impose a penny-per-ounce tax on distributors of bottled sugar-sweetened beverages, syrups or powders. Estimates vary on how much the tax would bring in, from $375 million to $600 million a year.

Health advocates concerned about obesity rates and related illnesses like diabetes welcome the tax, while businesses say it would lead to job losses and pricier drinks.

"This is a regressive proposal that will increase grocery costs for hundreds of everyday products and hit those who can least afford it, and it will also do nothing to improve public health outcomes," said Jim Soreng, executive director of the Illinois Beverage Association.

Arkansas, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia also tax sugary-drink distributors, according The Council of State Governments. In Philadelphia, Mayor Jim Kenny is proposing a 3-cents-per-ounce tax on sugary-drink distributors to help pay for preschool programs, park renovations, and other initiatives. Health advocates in Boulder, Colorado are also trying to ask voters in November to tax distributors.

With the tax in Illinois, the additional cost to distributors would be passed on to consumers and Soreng said the price of three 12-packs of soda would jump from about $11 to nearly $17."

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
With the tax in Illinois, the additional cost to distributors would be passed on to consumers and Soreng said the price of three 12-packs of soda would jump from about $11 to nearly $17."

Is this a joke? Where do they get the numbers from? I regularly see 12-packs of soda going 3/10, 3/11, 3/12. Even the non-sale prices aren't usually higher than $6-7.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Is this a joke? Where do they get the numbers from? I regularly see 12-packs of soda going 3/10, 3/11, 3/12. Even the non-sale prices aren't usually higher than $6-7.

Each 12 back is 144 oz so ifthey stuck a penny an ounce on there you'd end up with a $1.50ish tax per 12 pack. at 3 cents you're talking 4.50 a 12 pack. Jesus fuck.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
I don't have an issue with a soda tax per say, but it's the general mindset of gov't that bothers me. They cry they need more revenue and then tax items in the name of discouraging the use of said items. Then when revenues have decreased as less people use said items now, they cry they need another tax to replace that revenue...

It's a vicious, retarded cycle.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
I don't have an issue with a soda tax per say, but it's the general mindset of gov't that bothers me. They cry they need more revenue and then tax items in the name of discouraging the use of said items. Then when revenues have decreased as less people use said items now, they cry they need another tax to replace that revenue...

It's a vicious, retarded cycle.

agree, very similar to what happened with cigarettes, bad bad bad, tax tax tax so now the goverment is losing money cause less people are smoking so they now have to tax ecigs. Again, not a personal issue with me cause i dont do either of those but another example of how screwed the Gov is.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
yeah fuck this tax, and all you loyalist pigs that support it. if anyone needs me I'll be dumping Mountain Dew into Montrose Harbor, give me Pepsi or give me death!
dont-tread-on-me-meaning.jpg

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Another thing most IL residents probably don't understand is that they could tax people for 100% of everything, bringing in an extra $800 billion in revenue and it still wouldn't be enough.

They'd waste it all like they always do and we'd still be in huge debt.

It's the politicians who create the "budget" who are the problem. Not sugary drinks.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Another thing most IL residents probably don't understand is that they could tax people for 100% of everything, bringing in an extra $800 billion in revenue and it still wouldn't be enough.

They'd waste it all like they always do and we'd still be in huge debt.

It's the politicians who create the "budget" who are the problem. Not sugary drinks.

It would just go to people on short lists like campaign contributors.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
Remember that income tax hike that we had for a couple years a.. couple of years ago?
That money was supposed to fix the budget, instead of using it to pay back the debts they just used it for other stupid purposes.
The tax was carefully worded so that it would expire and would have to be made a permanent tax to stick around, the Dems thought that it was going to be like other "temp" taxes that have been on the books for 20 years and thought they could just spend more money.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info