The Life and Times of an iPhone

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
We get so much anti-Apple talk on this forum that I figured I'd do my part to even some of that coverage out.

I have an iPhone 6. I got it the day it came out. It's the 128GB guy so it was really expensive. A little more about me: I hate phone cases. I have friends that have really cool phones with otter boxes and they totally ruin the phone. What's the point of having a nice looking phone if it's going to be an inch thick and weigh 9 lbs after you put the case on it? So I've pretty much sold myself on the fact that I'm not going to have a case on my phones. I'll take my chances.

So May of this last year I'm cleaning after cooking and I drop the phone in the sink. I watch it hit the bottom, display on and reach down as fast as I can to grab it. It spent a solid 5 seconds under water though.

As I grab it I watch the screen go white and then turn off. Fuck. I don't have the Apple screw driver to pop it open so I do what I can. I shake it to try to get the water out, stick it by a hair dryer on low heat for 30 minutes, remove the sim card, etc.

About 2 hours later it turns on. The screen has bunch of lines through it, it won't make a call, won't pick up our network, the speakers don't work, the volume button thinks it's being pushed up, the rear camera has visual condensation in it and the touch screen is dead... but it's on. So I race to back it up so I don't lose my info.

Over the course of the next 24 hours the speakers return to life though are clearly damaged from the water. You can barely hear the earpiece and the speaker for the speakerphone is distorted. The volume button starts working, the lines in the display slowly fade away, it starts making calls and parts of the touch screen start coming back. A few days later everything is working again but a small vertical area of the touch screen about 3mm wide. Enough to make typing impossible. I need to turn the phone side ways to type.

And I live with it for months until...

I break it again

I'm getting out of my car and I drop it on our cement floor. It hits on a corner, bends the back of the phone ever so slightly and shatters the front glass. And so I do what any reasonable person would do... I bend the phone back flat with my hand. I stick it on a table and beat it with a rubber mallet until it's flat. Then I order a new display and a few replacement parts like the speakers that should have been replaced.

When I pop it open I clean the contacts for the touchscreen thinking some water dried in there. I pop the new glass on it, put the new speakers in and turn it on. It fires right up and I have a fully working touch screen.

I used to repair water damaged phones for a living and they pretty much all had recurring issues after being dropped in water. For this to be fully submerged, then dropped, hammered back flat and come out of all that unscathed was pretty impressive to me.

It doesn't even look bad now. Condition wise the phone is probably an 8 out of 10 despite it's previous injuries. :rofl:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
One thing I will say is I may just have a lot of mentally challenged Facebook friends, but for some reason none of them, NONE know how to use any type of backup system for their android phones. At least once a week I see the same old message "crap, my phone just deleted everything, anybody know how to get my contacts back? Please send me numbers" or "I lost my phone, please send numbers"
Now I'm assuming android has phone location apps and some type of automatic cloud system for pics and contacts etc.... But why can nobody seem to be able to use it? Now I know you guys are pretty savvy and likely easily know how to use those systems, but I guess the point is all the iPhone users out there never seem to have trouble with this kind of thing, and 95% of the public aren't power users. Why cant android users figure this shit out

Also I deal with random peoples cell phones almost every day at work (teaching them how to pair to their car) and while android guys all talk about how customizable their phone is I can tell you without a doubt most android phones are bone the fuck stock, never updated to any type of current software and have a jumbled mess of apps across like 4 pages.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Just got my 6S this week. Never has issues with my 4S or 5S. I always case my phones and as of late put a tempered glass screen protector on it due to hazards at work. I used the 6S for a day without a case before next day shipping one from Amazon. New phones are just too thin in my hands. Have to agree with [MENTION=236]Stink Star Productions[/MENTION] about non power users with android phones. My dads S5 has 4-5 pages of random apps and bloatware that could fit on 2 screens :rofl:. I offered to move them but it's like that old IT video where the guys desktop icons were in the shape of a dick. He knows where everything is in the disorganized chaos.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I'm sure it's software related but more often than not it won't open a link when pressed, have to hard press to get the preview and either let go and touch the link again or press again to open the link.

Copy doesn't always seem to work.

I get weird hangups when deleting emails. It'll still show its open and not deleted till I back out to the inbox. I can hit delete 20 times and it won't work if the email is open when trying to delete (instead of being in the inbox). Usually seems to happen if I hit the banner pop up on a new email.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
had iPhone 3 then 4, for years, then went to Samsung s5 active for 6 months, overall experience was the Samsung was junk physically and more important software wise, now back to iPhone 6s 128G.

if this thread turns into another android vs apple, its only people who have actually tried both where their opinion matters. :s00ls:

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Yes, I have noticed all of those things. The first one I'm attributing to being new to the whole 3D Touch thing and not being used to the amount of pressure required.
I'm not even trying to use 3D Touch. That works fine. It's just trying to open a link that doesn't work so I HAVE to use 3D Touch and either open the preview and then let it close and then the link will work, or open the preview and then hard press to actually open the damn thing.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
So I can look at this latest post, think "this fucking guy again" and then let go and not have to open

3EBFE313-F961-41EE-AB8C-77FCA884EF01_zpsgu6bvq5s.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info