Crosswind difficulties - winter 2013/14

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
What I find most interesting is the engineering that goes into even commercial grade aircraft.

The wing loading is specifically amazing when you watch the stress testing videos and see just how far those wings can bend before they fail. Its crazy the amount that they can bend them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rak2HldVp9M

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
What I find most interesting is the engineering that goes into even commercial grade aircraft.

The wing loading is specifically amazing when you watch the stress testing videos and see just how far those wings can bend before they fail. Its crazy the amount that they can bend them.

Anyone flown a 787 yet? Apparently the wings are designed to do this
c9f8aa1c655663d5ccd94449eaa6cba0.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Anyone flown a 787 yet? Apparently the wings are designed to do this
c9f8aa1c655663d5ccd94449eaa6cba0.jpg

i have, don't think i want to be on one when it's doing that.

i'm confused as to why 787s don't hit ohare. i used to think it was because they were too big and didn't line up with gate/jetway properly? but they've been out a long time, and they are actually not that big either. my favorite bird i've been on is an a380. i also flew in the nose of a 747 which was cool. i don't think a380s get to ohare either.

i've been on over 400 flights now. only really recall having much turbulence on a couple, the scariest one is where it kept going and the drops felt so long, although were probably less than a second still... i don't think i've had any nasty crosswind landing to speak of, thankfully, that doesn't look like a fun time.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
i have, don't think i want to be on one when it's doing that.

i'm confused as to why 787s don't hit ohare. i used to think it was because they were too big and didn't line up with gate/jetway properly? but they've been out a long time, and they are actually not that big either. my favorite bird i've been on is an a380. i also flew in the nose of a 747 which was cool. i don't think a380s get to ohare either.

i've been on over 400 flights now. only really recall having much turbulence on a couple, the scariest one is where it kept going and the drops felt so long, although were probably less than a second still... i don't think i've had any nasty crosswind landing to speak of, thankfully, that doesn't look like a fun time.

United fly's 787's in and out of O'Hare.

A380.

NOPE

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
My flight last night was pretty crazy. We landed pretty close to 11pm. Coming in was really rocky. I fly a lot and this was one of the worst. They were having a real hard time keeping the plane straight. As we come into the runway a gust caught us and pushed us over the grass. They pulled up slightly and were able to get the wheels on the runway. From that point we landed pretty sideways. It seemed like a struggle to get the plane straight even after we hit the ground really hard.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
My flight last night was pretty crazy. We landed pretty close to 11pm. Coming in was really rocky. I fly a lot and this was one of the worst. They were having a real hard time keeping the plane straight. As we come into the runway a gust caught us and pushed us over the grass. They pulled up slightly and were able to get the wheels on the runway. From that point we landed pretty sideways. It seemed like a struggle to get the plane straight even after we hit the ground really hard.

That's how my flight was. You could feel the gusts pushing the plane around and it was pretty bumpy. I spoke with the pilot when I was waiting to board my flight from Atltante and he said it was going to be a fun landing. The pilot did a good job landing, but had to come in hot and use the rudder to correct the nose before it touched down. The plane was being pushed sideways even when all the wheels were on the ground.

Did you fly into ORD or MDW?
[MENTION=510]Vogz[/MENTION] can probably explain the technical details better.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
United fly's 787's in and out of O'Hare.

A380.

NOPE

this must be more recent, no? i thought they could not for a long time.

i *never* see them on award flights out of ohare, although that might be due to availability on aa/united/alliances and routes. although i would figure i should have seen at least one given how much i poke around that stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info