Not that afraid of the Russian air force anymore

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
Apparently, at least a portion of Russia’s fleet of Su-24 Fencers are running on handheld Garmin-like GPS systems in addition to their aging inertial navigation systems, as seen in this photo tweet showing a Fencer refueling from an Il-76 Midas tanker.

1247964316885102951.jpg

Check Out The Walmart-Grade GPS Systems In These Russian Attack Jets

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Even the SU-27 which is an old plane can out accelerate, out maneuver, and out top speed anything the USA uses, short of an F-22, and they likely have 100 SU27's for every F-22 we have. Just the sheer number of their planes should be scary enough. Of course people will say their training isn't as good and they don't have the carriers or the weapons systems we have and that's true, but when it comes down to it their planes are very good

Typhoon

Addict
Sep 25, 2011
Even the SU-27 which is an old plane can out accelerate, out maneuver, and out top speed anything the USA uses, short of an F-22, and they likely have 100 SU27's for every F-22 we have. Just the sheer number of their planes should be scary enough. Of course people will say their training isn't as good and they don't have the carriers or the weapons systems we have and that's true, but when it comes down to it their planes are very good

Its not faster than a F-15 in a straight line.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

Doesn't matter as the F-15 would have the advantage due to better avionics and armament allowing for a greater engagement distance. Plus you are comparing apples to oranges in 1970's tech vs. late 80's tech.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Plus that's just the SU-27 which I only mentioned because they have like a million of them. They of course have much more modern aircraft that are about the equivalent of a multi role like a Mig 29 being like a F18 or a SU-35 being like a F-35

Not to mention, even though everybody knows the coolest and fastest jet of all time is the SR-71, the Mig-31 could achieve over mach3 which is almost as fast as the blackbird, despite it being only a fighter aircraft

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Russia is close to coming out with the PAK Tu-50, which will likely match or exceed the performance of the F-22 in almost every measurable category. Plus Russia has developed an advanced radar jamming system that renders the A2A missiles on the F-22 almost useless in a dogfight. The issues with Russian airforce is they have some aging fleet (like the Su-24 that'll be replaced by the Su-34 in the coming years) but they just don't have a lot of planes. US fighters outnumber the Russians 3:1

What the Russian military has is tanks. SHIT LOADS of tanks. Almost double what the United States currently has in service. And many of these are not aging relics, they are pound for pound as good as the Abrams, and Russia has a long history of great training and tank tactics.

rz79

TCG Elite Member
Jun 29, 2009
Russia is close to coming out with the PAK Tu-50, which will likely match or exceed the performance of the F-22 in almost every measurable category. Plus Russia has developed an advanced radar jamming system that renders the A2A missiles on the F-22 almost useless in a dogfight. The issues with Russian airforce is they have some aging fleet (like the Su-24 that'll be replaced by the Su-34 in the coming years) but they just don't have a lot of planes. US fighters outnumber the Russians 3:1

What the Russian military has is tanks. SHIT LOADS of tanks. Almost double what the United States currently has in service. And many of these are not aging relics, they are pound for pound as good as the Abrams, and Russia has a long history of great training and tank tactics.

Isn't a tank based war a thing of the past? I mean... I KNOW I'm comparing apples and cheetahs here but Iraq have a eleventyhundereded tanks? (Yes poorly trained, yes old equipment)
My point though, what good are they?

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Isn't a tank based war a thing of the past? I mean... I KNOW I'm comparing apples and cheetahs here but Iraq have a eleventyhundereded tanks? (Yes poorly trained, yes old equipment)
My point though, what good are they?

Chances are, we'd never have a "true" tank battle with Russia. But if there was ever an invasion, chances are tanks would still play a major role. The Russian T-90's (their main battle tanks) are cheaper and much more plentiful than the Abrams. Plus the T-90 is not THAT far behind the Abrams in terms of performance on the battlefield. A good tactician could use Russians sheer numbers, and strengths of the T-90 to out maneuver a US tank invasion. Russia was embarrassed in their last larger scale tank invasion in Chechnya in the early 90's, but it won't make that mistake again.

If you've got the time, read this article. The author is awesome, and has a ton of great information and insight into all things military.

What America Can Learn From Russia's Cheap But Deadly T90 Tank

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
At some level why does it matter unless we go full tilt WW-III style we will never try to wrestle with the bear. Anyways, attacking the computer infra is more likely to be the course of action no matter which side is doing it.

This. Chances are, future wars will be fought over the internet, and through strategic satellite destruction/manipulation. The DoD's top secret unmanned space shuttle X37 has long since been rumored to find, intercept, and disable potentially hostile or strategic enemy satellites and spacecraft. As soon as the US can disable another modern country's satellite infrastructure, it can pretty much bring that country to its knees.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info