Basement & Home Theater Build

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
We moved into our current home at the end out last October, it was our 3rd move in 4 years. :eek3: We're planning on staying here for a while, so we decided to finish the basement.

The house we're in now was built for the builder's daughter's family, which means that things were done right and no corners were cut. The basement was no exception. It has 9' ceiling in most places, a separate entrance from the garage, bathroom rough-in and a lot of other small stuff.

We got a few proposals at the start of the summer and decided to go with the Finished Basement Company of Naperville. The total square footage of the basement is just over 2,000 and we're finishing just under 1,800 sqft, leaving us with plenty of storage.

Here's what the blue print looked like when they started work at the beginning of last week, Sorry for the quality of the pic, I'll try to get one that's less blurry:

E7tD4GY.jpg

Here's a Pano shot of the basement on the first day before work started.
10463623_898443226835838_7045277599799162919_o.jpg

Two and a half days in, this is what it looked like:
10572152_899807386699422_1700284366440332972_o.jpg

The work this week has been slow, as the carpenters missed a day on Monday and have been doing detail work on Tuesday / Wednesday. On the plus side the plumbing and HVAC are now done.

Here are a few more pano shots from yesterday.
3FVRaRp.jpg

3YG9fhL.jpg

P7n5h2P.jpg

I'll update this post with some more info about the Home Theater area this afternoon

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
Be sure not to cheap out on Sump pump fortification.

Have a backup for the backup that backs up the main pump. And a security camera on the sump pit that you can view remotely from your smart phone.

I'm definitely putting in a battery backed up sump.. Also, going to hook up a water alarm to our security system (cellular based) which will call the security company and in turn they'll call me in the event of water.

here's a neat product I came across (if you don't have a security system)
PumpAlarm.com Cellular Water and Power Alarm | Official Product Page

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
With that much money in your basement, Id look into the backup sump pump that operates off of city water.
It uses water to pump water out.
Its genius.

And be sure that your backup pumps are routed INTO THE YARD!!!! Most homes are setup wrong. If the storm sewer gets to capacity, you are screwed with either pump.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
With that much money in your basement, Id look into the backup sump pump that operates off of city water.
It uses water to pump water out.
Its genius.

And be sure that your backup pumps are routed INTO THE YARD!!!! Most homes are setup wrong. If the storm sewer gets to capacity, you are screwed with either pump.

i thought it was illegal to have a sump pump plumbed into sewer. im pretty sure it has to be plumbed outside the house into a natural environment.

but i also guess it depends on where you live.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
also dont use a float switch. use a pressure switch. floats get stuck on the wall of the sump and the pump never kicks in. a pressure switch is set to a specific depth in the sump and turns the pump on when the watter pressure hits a set ammount. set by the depth you put the switch. i will never use a float switch again.

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
Jack, are you doing the theater yourself, or hiring an A/V company?

I'm doing the theater myself, I've researched a ton and have had component selection help from Deluxe Audio & Video in Naperville.

Here's the line up:

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
Looks like a nice A/V set up. You planning on setting the home theater room up with bass absorption in the walls and floor? Double drywall and a floating floor are supposed to help with sound quality.

I'll have a few acoustical panels for sound absorption, there will also be sound absorption material behind the drywall, I'm not doing double drywall.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info