Car undercoating

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
So I have been thinking about doing this to my Grand prix if I dont crush it. I know its a 2001, but under the car there is not to much surface rust. Most everything is intact. Frame looks really good. My rockers are bad, it rusted through the first layer. I looked yesterday just to make sure the floor part above the rockers wasn't bad and it has no rust at all on the floor part. So basically the rockers are the only part under the car that is rusted through.

I was thinking of finding a place that would do the rust proof spray for me. Anyone have any ideas?? I know people normally do this when the car is new but I got mine used so it never had it. What do you guys think??

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So I have been thinking about doing this to my Grand prix if I dont crush it. I know its a 2001, but under the car there is not to much surface rust. Most everything is intact. Frame looks really good. My rockers are bad, it rusted through the first layer. I looked yesterday just to make sure the floor part above the rockers wasn't bad and it has no rust at all on the floor part. So basically the rockers are the only part under the car that is rusted through.

I was thinking of finding a place that would do the rust proof spray for me. Anyone have any ideas?? I know people normally do this when the car is new but I got mine used so it never had it. What do you guys think??

You're basically sealing the rust in and if there's a leak in that coating anywhere and moisture is allowed in you're trapping that in there as well which just serves to hasten things. Not to mention the fact that it's not going to stick to rust very well to begin with.

Food for thought, back in the 80's it seems like every car had a Rusty Jones rust proofing sticker on it. Coincidentally those were also the cars that tended to be the rustiest.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
Before BEFORE BEFORE BEFORE!!! You do any por15 or rubber coating. KILL THE RUST! KILL THE FUCKING RUST!!!!!
Many products out there that will kill it and turn it black which means it's dead and you can now throw some type of coating over it.

I forgot to take a picture of the fuel tank I just did but I used a cheap rust killer, took a few coats and if you apply it on bare metal it actually causes rust so you'll need to paint it as soon as it dries.

Breze84

$ AIN'T NO PITY IN C-NOTE CITY $
Aug 30, 2010
Chi-Town....
fuck that shit. get under that car with a big 6" brush and slap some Mar-Hyde 3513 on it. I use this all the time on our trucks at the shop... Its a beautiful thing :D... You can leave it that way or then undercoat it if you felt thats what you wanted to do.... You can use Mar-Hyde 4211 after if you wanted

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info