PC build, can you review my build

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Personally, I don't trust SSD's that aren't Samsung 840 series, if you are only putting the OS and a game or two on there, you could get by with a 120 GB.

I think you could also get into 2x8GB sticks for not much more than what you've got there.

Like it was said, the only way it could get much better would be an i7, but as long as you are not going outrageous on OC'ed i5 should do just fine.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Personally, I don't trust SSD's that aren't Samsung 840 series, if you are only putting the OS and a game or two on there, you could get by with a 120 GB.

I think you could also get into 2x8GB sticks for not much more than what you've got there.

Like it was said, the only way it could get much better would be an i7, but as long as you are not going outrageous on OC'ed i5 should do just fine.

You and your silly 840. I agree and disagree with that statement. 840s are amazing, there's no denying that, but I'm using a 240 PNY and have no issues with it at all (running OS on an intel 120gb ssd, and all games on a 240gb pny.)

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Stick with the 280x that's a great card. Keep the i5 for gaming. You don't need and i7.

Nice choice on the mobo. I only reccomend gigabyte.

Get a cooler for the CPU. Don't use the stock cooler. The k is going to be overclockable. Cooler master 212 or h55 for liquid cooling on a budget.

You may want to consider a new case. I reccomend a corsair c70. A nice case is a must to polish off your investment.

EDIT. You live in Aurora? Go to micro center to buy your CPU and motherboard. They are always the cheapest. It used to be you get the CPU at a really low price then an additional $50 of your mobo. You can misc items there but buy everything else online.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I'm running a Vertex 4 128 gig and 2 Intel 80G SSDs here. Can't complain, they run virtual machines so I do hammer them every so often but they idle most the time admittedly. I don't trust any hard disk and the VMs are ultimately stored on a mirrored RAID with some Hitatchi rotational drives. I also lean more towards the paranoid side on that sort of thing than most too.

LiquidPen

Forum Sponsor
Jun 23, 2011
Bartlett, IL
If you goto microcenter in westmont you can get the i7-4770k for under $280 (out door) (non bundled) and prob pick up a good motherboard cheaper in a bundle. Microcenter surprisingly has pretty good deals if you go into the store and talk to somebody.

When I am building pc's for work I buy as much as I can from amazon.. To me its worth it to pay a few dollars more for amazons hassle free returns/exchanges if there is an issue w/a part.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
If you goto microcenter in westmont you can get the i7-4770k for under $280 (out door) (non bundled) and prob pick up a good motherboard cheaper in a bundle. Microcenter surprisingly has pretty good deals if you go into the store and talk to somebody.

Best advice ever when building a PC. Microcenter is the go to place for your mobo and cpu.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info