Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Make it 99/yr and I'd be ok w/ that.

Amazon Prime might be getting more expensive. The retailer revealed during its quarterly earnings conference call that it might jack up the price of the yearly subscription by up to 50%.

Prime currently costs $79 a year. It’s the best service a person could buy. Free two-day shipping on most everything Amazon sells? I don’t have to go to the store for toilet paper. Yes sir.

Amazon is in a tough spot. After being the street’s darling for so many years, the company’s stock is tumbling thanks to a sub-par performance this holiday season. Analysts expected Amazon to report revenue of $26.06 billion, and earn $0.66 per share. Put another way, in a quarter of strong GDP growth, Amazon managed to miss expectations on both its top and bottom lines.

As Amazon stated on its investor relations conference call, the cost of shipping is increasing and Amazon is unsure if it can continue to offer Prime at $79. It said it was considering raising the price by $20 to $40 a year.

Since its launch, Prime has become more than just a free shipping service. Amazon also bundles its video streaming and Kindle libraries with the subscription. As a long time subscriber, a price hike would put a frown on my face, but I would still re-subscribe. I simply hate going to the store.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
The US needs a revolutionary change to shipping. USPS is an ideal candidate because they already go to every house every day, and Priority, Flat Rate, etc. are great, but they just aren't equipped to handle packages like UPS/FedEx, and I doubt they ever will be.

Bottom line is that "we" order more and more shit by the day, and there is no way that this trend will be sustainable because it will continue to force shipping cost increases.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
Wait till Internet taxes kick in. If they raise it that much, that quick, I think it will hurt them quite a bit. I do like Amazon for a lot of my off the wall stuff like, k-cups, furnace filters and other things that are a good deal in bulk.

A couple states were added to Amazon's list that they need to collect from. Honestly I'm super surprised that IL wasn't added. But im sure its just a matter of time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info