Diy: Installing laminate floor

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Few questions for the diy guys.

So I bought the flooring that snaps together. It was $16 a box and covers 24 Sq ft. Putting this floor on my enclosed porch. Only needed 3 boxes.

So. The main question is, so everything isn't unison, do I cut half the box in half when I'm starting so the lines seams don't line up?

I also bought the underlayment. Do I just duct tape that down?

Do I need to stick anything under the floor so it doesn't slide?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
You can cut the whole box in half if you want to, but I just did mine one at a time as needed.

I think I bought a special tape to hold down my underlayment, don't recall what it was honestly.... But I don't see why Ducttape wouldn't work.

Don't need to stick anything under the floor so it doesn't slide, but you will want to pull any/all lower wall trim off so you can kinda 'lock the floor down' when you reinstall it.

If you don't already have it, you are going to want/need the Laminate flooring kit (Its like $15, comes with a couple of more speciality tools and shims), and a good mallet.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
I wouldn't cut the whole box in half, just start snapping together and when you get to the last piece cut that to the length needed, then the left over piece is the start of the next row.

Just do one row at a time. The last piece in that row will probably need to be cut. Then start the next row with the piece you cut off. Usually works out well.

Thanks! Just read that online and like that idea.

when are you doing this work mike ?

i can get some install tips from my brother.

Tomorrow. :mamoru: :noes:

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
It'll be going over existing vinyl

8_zpsc3e6dec1.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info