ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Well I ended up going just south west of Starved Rock. I could see tons of stars. I saw probably 30+ meteors in the short time I was out there. I attempted to photograph them with long exposures but I couldn't get my focus right. I also attempted to do star trails but I still couldn't focus. I will have to find out how to do that and practice. Its hard to focus when everything is pitch black. Also you didn't need to go anywhere to see the meteors. I can still see them from Aurora. I saw a really long one along I80 and 55 when I was coming home. It looked like it may have made it to the ground but I dunno.
Well here is my attempt at pics.

DSC_0150.jpg

I aimed at that bright star
DSC_0151.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Weather is turning out to be good.

Here is the usual spot we meet up at but its 2 hours from me and I'm not sure if I'm up for the trip tonight unless there's a few people going out there.

Otherwise ill check out the light pollution map and find a closer spot

"Green River State Wildlife Management Area / 375 Game Rd, Harmon, IL 61042"

i looked up the darkest area near me using a light pollution map and this location the best. its about 2 hours for me straight west down I88

Green River State Wildlife Area Clear Sky Chart

Last edited:

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
hey thirdgen, ill be heading out to

"Green River State Wildlife Management Area / 375 Game Rd, Harmon, IL 61042"

tonight to watch them. i looked up the darkest area near me using a light pollution map and this location the best. its about 2 hours for me straight west down I88

Green River State Wildlife Area Clear Sky Chart

Hmmm.. Is there anywhere you can go around there? I was going to drive into matheissan park but didn't want to get in trouble with the DNR since it says right on the sign that it closes at dark so I ended up on a rural road.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Hmmm.. Is there anywhere you can go around there? I was going to drive into matheissan park but didn't want to get in trouble with the DNR since it says right on the sign that it closes at dark so I ended up on a rural road.

i think ill also just end up on a Rural road if there is a sign, I just liked the fact that the light pollution was really low in that area. according to satellite images, there isnt much around there thats for sure but there is a nice size parking lot! and no gates from what i can see.

temp1.png

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Normally I get all excited about these things days or weeks before and then it's cloudy.
So I was pretty happy that it was clear and I was seeing a lot of them. I am probably going out tonight again, but not sure where.

Yeah. I was pretty excited to see the meteor shower some months back. We watched it for about an hour or so. It was my first meteor shower amazingly since I love astronomy and just looking up at the night sky. Up until that point. I had never seen one.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Last night was awesome. Tons of meteors. We must have seen 40+ last night. Saw 10 just on the ride there and back..

That location is so secluded too! We had zero cars drive by within the couple hours we were there. Coyotes were out and about making some noise.

Got some cool pics and one actual meteor! (Last picture of the night too) I'll post some up later.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
God damn it! I forgot to watch for this last night!

It should be tonight aswell. Yesterday was the peak of the shower

dont these just look shooting stars? ive never went out to watch because i didn't see the point...ive seen a bunch of shooting stars.

Pretty much but many more and in all directions

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Last night was awesome. Tons of meteors. We must have seen 40+ last night. Saw 10 just on the ride there and back..

That location is so secluded too! We had zero cars drive by within the couple hours we were there. Coyotes were out and about making some noise.

Got some cool pics and one actual meteor! (Last picture of the night too) I'll post some up later.

Yes it was nice meeting up with you guys. It was so dark I almost lost my tripod a few times. You could also hear a pin drop.
That road on the way there would be a good road to race on lol
I can't wait to see your pics. Hear are mine.

015-2_zps65eb23f0.jpg

039_zpsc3303722.jpg

047_zps35d65d6b.jpg

048_zps5c057fe4.jpg

050_zpsb709698a.jpg

051_zpscfe1d319.jpg

057_zpsc4f4182b.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info