Cleaning Questionzzz

Ford Tempo Fan

I am the Tempo Fan.
Jun 13, 2009
Alaska
Got some questions about car cleaning that I'd like to ask all of you car cleaning experts out in Chicago land.

1. If your clear-coat is in the deep stages of deterioration, does it even help to wax/clay-bar your car?
2. In regards to UV ray erosion of paint (when splotches of white primer become visible), is there any way to slow or stop this process from happening? Or do I need to build the Tempo a house when she gets her new coat of paint?

While you guys think about those questions, here are some pictures of my 1989 Tempo from today. I had a horrible God damn week, so I figured I'd blow about $80 on cleaning products and using the self wash bay in the next town over. Cleaning cars makes myself feel better. Spent a good five hours at it, inside and out. Washed and waxed, with a clay bar kit application in between. Visibly, I'm not seeing too much improvements to when its just washed with plain soap. It does feel much smoother, even before the Mother's carnauba wax application.

097.jpg

092.jpg

063.jpg

052.jpg

060.jpg

100.jpg

053.jpg

082.jpg

084.jpg

I was being eaten alive by mosquitoes when I was taking those last two pictures. Fell over a log too. Life sucks.

I might post more later, including interior pictures. Used this Meguiar's Quik Mist & Wipe interior detailer that works great. Before this I just used a damp terry cloth with a little bit of soap, because I cannot stand that McDonald's grease-in-a-bottle called Armor All.
----------------
Now playing: The Beach Boys - Don't Worry Baby [Mono Single Version]
via FoxyTunes

Ford Tempo Fan

I am the Tempo Fan.
Jun 13, 2009
Alaska
How about lowering the back end of that thing. It sits like a truck

The front springs are factory height for all wheel drive Tempos. Which, as it is, sit two inches higher then front wheel drive models. I lifted the rear end to give it more ground clearance (thinking ahead to the winter/spring-breakup seasons) as well as to give it a more aggressive stance.

I'll be getting a second Tempo for summer driving only. Its a 1989 GLS in Cabaret Red over Medium Titanium, with the 5spd. MTX. I'll either leave it stock height or possibly lower it, if I can find a GLS #417 ground effects package.

BTW; here are some pictures of the cabin:

034-3.jpg

041-2.jpg

037-1.jpg

047.jpg

Ford Tempo Fan

I am the Tempo Fan.
Jun 13, 2009
Alaska
at least put some mud tires on it for the summer if its going to be that high up. otherwise i bet GOOD snow tires and stock height would be just fine.

In the snow I did fine with stock height, but during spring breakup when my 1.8 mile long driveway turns into one long stretch of an off road course, I was bottoming out at every rut. Did a number underneath, and I don't want to deal with that again.

Thread Info