Ladies and Gentleman,my Grand Am....

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
I posted some pics in my intro forum, but heres an official showoff thread.
Some pics from work, the Edens, a roadtrip to Minneapolis-St paul, and engine pics from my head gasket teardown.
The car has 190,000 miles on her, but the engine was changed sometime before I bought her-the car has a sticker for emissions, but the motor doesnt have an EGR plate, and the pics speak to the internal condition-its still purdy inside :smile:

Enjoy.

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0070.jpg

DSCF0154.jpg

DSCF0163.jpg

30980740182_large.jpg

Thats right-two coolant leaks at once-water pump,head gasket+ heater condensation drain.

30980740183_large.jpg

mmmn, lifters.....
30980740185_large.jpg

Head fresh from the machine shop-only needed work done on the valve stems.

30980740178_large.jpg

FAIL

30980740180_large.jpg

30980740204_large.jpg

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
was curious if the 2.4L twin cam in these cars is similar to the ones in S13 240's??

Only in structure.

To break down the history, back when Oldsmobile designed this engine with Katech back in the '80s , the orginal power output was 180 HP in H.O. trim.Back then a V8 was lucky to make that kind of power, its similiar to a NA four-cylinder making 300 HP today.

Nissan didnt have an NA four of that power back then, nor did anyone else for a while.

GM caught flak because the engine was a roughhouse and when people didnt maintain these engines stuff broke, and the original head gasket design was weak-so the quad 4-Twin Cam engine series is despised by a lot of people, even though it came out almost 10 years before the import 4-bangers like the Honda K-series, Nissans SR20, etc.

Add cams and bolt ons like headers, cat back, CAI , youre looking at 190 HP out of a NA 4 cylinder-not bad IMO.

And no, these motors have nothing in common with the Nissan KA24 besides displacement.This engines rougher too :smile:

UWISHU1

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2004
Hanover Park
Only in structure.

To break down the history, back when Oldsmobile designed this engine with Katech back in the '80s , the orginal power output was 180 HP in H.O. trim.Back then a V8 was lucky to make that kind of power, its similiar to a NA four-cylinder making 300 HP today.

Nissan didnt have an NA four of that power back then, nor did anyone else for a while.

GM caught flak because the engine was a roughhouse and when people didnt maintain these engines stuff broke, and the original head gasket design was weak-so the quad 4-Twin Cam engine series is despised by a lot of people, even though it came out almost 10 years before the import 4-bangers like the Honda K-series, Nissans SR20, etc.

Add cams and bolt ons like headers, cat back, CAI , youre looking at 190 HP out of a NA 4 cylinder-not bad IMO.

And no, these motors have nothing in common with the Nissan KA24 besides displacement.This engines rougher too :smile:

awesome info, explain rougher??

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
awesome info, explain rougher??

Well, if you see my car thats really the only way youll know for real, but this engine is rough-because of the cams , this engines not happy unless you run it hard, so at lower RPM it feels like an old-school V8-you feel it vibrating via the car's structure.

I may be exaggerating a bit, because I learned to drive with a VQ30 Maxima lol.....but most of the changes GM made were to 'smooth' the engine out for public consumption.Hence the power detune from 180 to 150 HP for this series of Quad-4.

Its ironic-even though the Grand Am V6 stock has more power, you can mod a 4 cylinder to beat a V6 easily, theres a guy on GAOC.com with a 2000 GA making 342 HP boosted.It also helps that the 4-cylinders a slightly lighter car too....

Thread Info