2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

AjL227

Do You Even?
Feb 19, 2008
Impreza MY00 GC coupe

UPDATE 5/19/14
The initial cause of my issue was the catalytic converter(s) being clogged!
At least now the head gaskets, timing belt and clutch are all done and out of the way!
It feels great to drive my Impreza once again!

OP:

I bought this Impreza for cheap at the beginning of January with 155k miles.
I drove it for two months and put around 1900 miles on it.
Recently I noticed a lack of power, so I performed a compression test.

Cyl #1 - 155 psi
Cyl #3 - 160 psi
Cyl #2 - 122 psi
Cyl #4 - 110 psi

I removed the driver side cam gear cover to check the timing belt.

15qstgj.jpg

Looks like cam seal(s) were leaking oil for quite some time.

I removed the engine and put it on a stand.
Cross member will have to be cleaned up.
It looks like the crank and both cam seals have been leaking for a while.
There is build up of grease on the belt and cam gears.
The rear main seal doesn't appear to leak, but the crankcase access covers do. I'll replace both anyway.
I figured I should put in a new clutch and resurface the flywheel/pressure plate, while it is out. Opinions?

httxso.jpg

2mewnk4.jpg

30ae0qe.jpg

2i21t7t.jpg

ngddec.jpg

v80gua.jpg

mi04ft.jpg

24y8mrn.jpg

2rcy13n.jpg

Last edited:

AjL227

Do You Even?
Feb 19, 2008
Who can vouch for a good machine shop around IL?
I'll need deck work on the block and resurfacing of both cylinder heads for head gasket longevity. With the engine out, and already at a machine shop...should I just get the entire short block rebuilt? With 150k+ unknown miles, I feel as if the bottom end could have a problem at anytime however there is still a lot of crosshatching left in all the cylinders. I do plan on keeping the car N/A for quite some time. Opinions, thoughts, comments?

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
That wouldnt account for low compression on a cylinder.

I'd do the head gaskets too. Those NA engines like to leak

leaking oil could cause this. Say the previous owner let the engine run on low oil, might lead to scoring of the cylinder walls due to lack of lubrication? :dunno:

But gaskets are way more likely :jg:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
it looks like someone did a T belt slap as the pulleys don't seem to be from the same kit.

id guess that its possible that since its both 2 and 4 that are weak and that they share the cam some dumbass may have set that bank out of time.

im gonna guess that the guides are shot and the valves aint setting down on the seats fully leading to compression loss.

been seeing a lot of that lately...everythings made to last 100k so you get to 150k and every component is wore out...

those fucking I6 Colorado engines are eating guides for dinner....

that does look likje a newer clutch from the flywheel condition...how much is above the rivet heads?

AjL227

Do You Even?
Feb 19, 2008
Someone definitely changed just the timing belt without the idler(s)/tensioner.
The bottom smooth idler on the passenger side has a lip on the back indicating it's a factory idler. All 3 of them sound like roller skate wheels.
I believe that idler part number was revised to be identical to the smooth idler above it. (double bearing - no lip)

I'm going with a Gates timing belt kit which includes new tensioner and all idlers. (without water pump)
OEM water pump/gasket (I read some had issues with the Gates pump not seating correctly)
Victor Reinz(OEM) 04-06 STI head gaskets (I read these MLS head gaskets are the way to go, and they fit the EJ251 perfectly.)

I'm trying to find an engine gasket kit (preferably Fel-Pro) that comes without head gaskets.

The engine has definitely been removed before by a previous owner.
It's evident the flywheel was resurfaced/clutch replaced...just don't know when.
The engine-trans bolt labeled "G" was MIA.

2dkfvib.jpg

Thread Info