2001 Jeep Cherokee Apocalypse rig build thread.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
As I mentioned in my other post, I picked up an '01 XJ from Izzy earlier in the week. The truck is nice, but, definitely needs some attention. I've got some more aftermarket plans for it, but, for now, it's going to be getting it to where I feel that it should be.

I would also like to note that Izzy was not responsible for any of the modifications to the truck lol.

As it sits now

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport
-166,xxx miles
-4.0 / AW4 / NP231J / D30 Front / Chrysler 8.25 Rear

Aftermarket;
-4.5' Rough Country suspension lift
-33x12.5-15 Pro-Comp mudders
-Bushwacker Flares

Everything is there, but, for a lack of a better way to put it, whoever installed the aftermarket stuff was a fucking degenerate. Because of this, the truck is pretty scary to drive over 45mph. No brake upgrades, still running the OEM 160k mile steering stabilizer (death wobble city), no beefed up gearbox or tack bar... You get the picture. I have already, or will be very soon ordering;

-Rusty's Dual Steering Stabilizer kit
-ZJ Tie Rod Brace (1.75" Diameter vs. 1" stock XJ)
-Durango Steering box
-OEM Steering Shaft

I don't know if any other front end parts are in need of repair at this point, but, I will be ordering any and all that I need when I rack the truck to install the parts listed.

Next is the body....

-When the PO installed the bushwacker flares, he cut the rear quarters.... Too much. I've seen it before with these trucks. The rear quarters are not welded, but rather glued. IF you cut too much of the quarter, you can tremendously weaken the joint, causing it to eventually separate. Unfortunately, this has happened to the truck. The flares need to come off, and I will be welding in plate steel to reinforce it more than the factory ever did. None of it will be visible, so I will just POR-15 it all and hit it with some herculine.

-The bottom of the truck will be getting the typical bedline treatment to address some surface rust and other ugliness that the PO failed to address properly (he shot primer over it which left awesome overspray all over the sides.

-Drivers floorboard needs to be replaced. Not that big of a deal on these things.

-Rear tailgate does not match. Paint color is different from an earlier year truck. I'm going to have it re sprayed sometime down the road, but not an immediate concern.

Lastly, I will be doing some sort of front brake upgrade to stop this thing a little more easily. It's somewhat of a chore from higher speed lol.

Overall, the truck is nice, it ironically has the smoothest, quietest 4.0 I've ever heard, and the trans is butter smooth. So, luckily I won't have to worry much about that.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Now for the fun stuff...

-Alpine head unit (Installed tonight)
-Alpine or Rockford Fosgate component speakers
-Wiring it up for a Fosgate 10" Sub I've got
Cobra 29WX CB Radio with NOAA Weather radio.
-PA speaker under the hood (going to wire it to run in PA mode on the CB as well as a switchable music feed from the head unit (fuck it why not right?)
-Roof basket and relocate spare to basket
-Roof rail mounted light bar that I've got from my '98 XJ
-Hi-Jack
-Shovel
-Alternator Relocation (Stock placement is incredibly prone to waterlogging and shorting out

One thing that I'm pretty excited about is I'm going to be getting my hands on an on board air system that is added to the serpentine belt drive. With a 3 gallon tank I will mount on the basket, I should be able to zip wheels on and off as well as fill tires and such after airing down for off road use.

Lastly, the truck does not have a posi unit in it. I'm going to pick up a true-track in a 3.73 gear ratio and re-gear the front axle. Stock is 3.55, but a 3.73 with my 33's will put me just a little higher than stock gearing. I'd like to be able to tow around about 4,000#'s with it, as it has a hitch and trailer brake controller on it now. Good for say, a possibile off road camper haha.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
They're awesome trucks. This is my 5th one, and I still have my 1st (the '98).

The stabilizer, tie rod brace and Durango box should be here Wednesday! This should all be taking place rather quickly as I'd like to take the truck to my farm in Hayward, Wis. in about three weeks time, about a 1,000 mile round trip with two dirt bikes and an ATV in tow.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
i have a hi lift jack id sell.

6SD3VJN7

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Got my first stabilizer installed today to make it a bit more safe at speed.... Still waiting on the ZJ tie rod brace, should be here by Friday. Once that's here I can put the 2nd on, which will tighten up the front end immensely.

null_zps0d302171.jpg

I was planning on a cliffs trip Sunday, but, wont have time to get the body patched up by then... Went from having one event Saturday to one Thurs, Fri, and two on Saturday. I may continue work on it Sunday, or take a much needed day on the boat with beer and my newly purchased Chris Cagle CD...

I've also decided to get a swing out tire carrier for the back, as it's obnoxiously tall as it sits. Probably going to grab one off a blazer or something similar and fab it up with the plate steel bumper.

Thread Info