Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
First off, huge massive thanks to Eagle for spending his Saturday fucking w/ this car. None of the progress would have happened w/o his help.

Ever since buying the car, its been obvious that it had its fair share of gremlins...and they seemingly got worse the more the car was driven. Not dealbreakers, but cause for serious frustration. So I finally decided to take it back over to [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION]'s house (who has basically become my Toyota mechanic / tuner) and see if we couldnt get to the bottom of everything.

The problems:

• The haltech was not reading any type of TPS signal even tho the tps was fine
  • My wideband was not hooked up to the haltech so any form of quick tuning or even heavy tuning, was next to impossible.
  • There is no IAT on the car
  • Unable to tune the car for WOT

I'll knock this one out first...even tho I bought a new IAT, I decided (after reading around), not to run one for now. I plan on it eventually but with it being summer (or what this year is trying to play off as summer), I decided to hold off.

So first things first. We decided to tackle the tps. A hail mary was to calibrate the sensor within the haltech software which proved failed. We then tested the tps (again) and various connections to find out wtf was going on. In doing all this, we stumbled upon kind of a BIG oops...the car had a SERIOUS grounding problem. Once fixed, we then moved into the car to check things out. We found that the ecu and haltech were not really bolted to anything so we did that and magically the TPS started to read...thinking we had solved it, we went out to do some tuning.

That went south quick as the TPS stopped reading shortly into our adventure. We discovered that the root of the problem was the wiring into the haltech...it was basically shit. If anything bumped the wiring under the carpet, everything went screwy. So we got that sorted out (but not really fixed, we'll do that later) and the TPS now reads rock solid.

Next we decided to tackle the project of running my wideband into the haltech. That meant finding the control box for the WB so we could run an output wire (and even the wiring to that was a bit questionable)...I set to taking apart everything while dan did some research and such.

8997776460_0be7fecdc2_b.jpg

8996592083_e1c4da8794_b.jpg

8996591223_986bbb81ce_b.jpg

After finding the box buried in the center console behind the stereo, we cut and crimped some wires and blamo, the haltech was now seeing a correct wideband reading (after some adjustment).

So back out we went for more tuning...which again wasnt too successful (partly because we moved the wires again by accident and partly b/c of this guy) :rofl:

8997779096_dd7b20a6d3_b.jpg

That was my wideband sensor. Luckily I had a new one so we swapped it out and it started reading MUCH cleaner.

Back out we went for tuning. This time with much better results. As it turns out, the car was drowning in fuel from earlier adjustments, so we got that cleaned up and was able to make some really clean pulls (after some hiccups). AFR was looking good and boost (for the most part) was solid. And the trans actually downshifts when going WOT, thanks working TPS!

So we got it all squared away (it will still require more tuning but its well on its way) and brought it back to Eagles where I suggested we mess w/ the LC. After finding that unsuccessful, we called it done for the night, had a few beers and watched the hawks.

Eventually I headed home where I found the car to be royally fucked trying to the simplest things like cruising all the way to attempting to get into boost. Limped it home, talked with dan and we (he) came to the conclusion that LC was fucking things up.

Dan was nice enough to meet me halfway at 1am to turn LC off and see if it fixed things....it did and the car is back to being rockin.

All in all, it was a very productive day and we learned that big name shops dont always do the best jobs...Car isnt quite track ready yet, but its getting there. At least now I can play with it on the street.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
So beyond wiring snafu's how are you liking the haltech?

I have no complaints. Eagle has done the vast majority of using it so he can chime in.

The haltech is awesome, really. This car is SD only tho, so not much to it so far. Realtime tuning and auto-tuning with the wideband is pretty damn cool for sure.

that sounds like a crappy situation. Good luck on getting all of the wiring stuff taken care of.

Really all the issue is some janky crimp connections between the factory harness and the haltech harness that need to be cut out and soldered. No biggy, just a bit more time.

This is why you build your own shit!

I am glad the car is coming along finally, we need to setup a cruise!

Seriously. This car is cruise ready now. :bigok:

:bowdown: well done gents

:h5:

Thread Info