1972 Datsun 240z (Coming soon to IL from CA)

MrFosta

Cali Imported
Jan 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
I've owned this car since I was 18 or so, and it has gone through MANY different motor combos. (Turbo i6, and about 6 different SBC setups) This final (Crossing my fingers on that) build is me doing what I ultimately wanted for it all the time, but could never afford to do. As I started, I found a TON of rot on my frame rails up by the engine, so I had to fix that before anything.
1.imgcache.jpg

2.imgcache.jpg

3.imgcache.jpg

So I was pretty much at a standstill until I could figure out a motor for this car after getting the wiring done for the most part. At this point, my friend (Infidel on here) came up with the shitty idea of taking the corvette engine and putting it into the datsun, that way I can save myself from spending the next two years building an engine.
His car is the orange car
4.imgcache.jpg

I pulled the vette motor, after putting together a stock ls6 to replace it with. Sold my fancy clutch, headers, ect, and returned the car to stock minus my trans/rear and a 160 tstat.
5.imgcache.jpg

6.imgcache.jpg

Old and new
7.imgcache.jpg

8.imgcache.jpg

9.imgcache.jpg

10.imgcache.jpg

11.imgcache.jpg

This is after hours of cleaning the motor. It was a dirty pig.

Bought a Mike's Ultimate TH400, and some other goodies for the drivetrain
12.imgcache.jpg

13.imgcache.jpg

14.imgcache.jpg

Liz made me a nice lil crossmember for the car too
15.imgcache.jpg

And in it went! Fit quite nicely as just a long block. Unfortunately there were other fitment issues down the road.
16.imgcache.jpg

I started to do the basics, put the manifold on, wire under the hood (Used a summit harness) and plumb fuel system too
17.imgcache.jpg

18.imgcache.jpg

19.imgcache.jpg

20.imgcache.jpg

21.imgcache.jpg

22.imgcache.jpg

I tried to make the wiring as clean as possible, I feel like the pictures don't really do it justice. Next up was the accessories fitting. I got a beautiful bracket from AandA Corvette, and heavily modified a stock alternator bracket from a c5 to fit my car with a mini alternator (hi output from a chevy truck. 105amp I believe)
23.imgcache.jpg

24.imgcache.jpg

25.imgcache.jpg

26.imgcache.jpg

27.imgcache.jpg

28.imgcache.jpg

(Blower is reclocked now, obviously)
29.imgcache.jpg

I might lay the radiator down for more clearance to fit an intake to a filter, since this really is a street car despite what people seem to think.

30.imgcache.jpg

After the motor was pretty much done, besides fluids and intake/exhaust design I towed it to Scott's Speed and Custom to build be a custom trunk and get my cage up to certification.
31.imgcache.jpg

MrFosta

Cali Imported
Jan 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
irst, I felt that I didn't quite have the rear end that I wanted in the car. So I started by taking out the old suspension and rear end:
44.imgcache.jpg
45.imgcache.jpg

46.imgcache.jpg
47.imgcache.jpg

Then I cut everything out, so we can start "fresh" :)
48.imgcache.jpg
49.imgcache.jpg

50.imgcache.jpg
51.imgcache.jpg

52.imgcache.jpg
53.imgcache.jpg

While I was working on that, SS&C got to work on the intercooler piping and mounting. We ended up having to lean the radiator forward to clear the intake tube, so they made a nice new upper radiator support beam for me as well. Also they filled in any extra holes.
54.imgcache.jpg
55.imgcache.jpg

56.imgcache.jpg
57.imgcache.jpg

febmarch11034.jpg
72.imgcache.jpg

MrFosta

Cali Imported
Jan 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
Update Today:
While Scott was working on the cage/rear end I redid some stuff.

My suspension up front looked like this:
411.imgcache.jpg
412.imgcache.jpg

So I figured, I might as well do it right since the rear half of the car is going to be so nice. I bought a 5 lug setup, all new bushings, new trailing arms, and a nicer coil setup. Also some brakes, and a matching front set of Tel-Star rims.
This is the result:
413.imgcache.jpg

414.imgcache.jpg

415.imgcache.jpg

416.imgcache.jpg

417.imgcache.jpg

418.imgcache.jpg

Next up I wanted to tidy a few things on the blower up. I mocked up the new 8 rib blower pulley, so I could measure belt length, and I figured out where I wanted to put the blow of valve. (Its now welded in, just don't have pictures yet. I think I am going to powdercoat the piping black)
419.imgcache.jpg

420.imgcache.jpg
421.imgcache.jpg

I chose that location so that I wouldn't have fitment issues with whichever fan I decided to run.

While I was working, Scott and Alex were plugging away on the main hoop. (We had to cut out all the old stuff, and now they are redoing it CORRECTLY.
422.imgcache.jpg

423.imgcache.jpg

424.imgcache.jpg

425.imgcache.jpg

426.imgcache.jpg

with how opened up the car is, Scott was able to remove the main hoop after tacking it together and getting all the angles perfect. Then he TIG welded it on a welding table to make sure it remained perfect.

MrFosta

Cali Imported
Jan 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
Car was just rolling at this point. cage is pretty much done except for door bars, and the frame is in the car. 4 Link is welded in as well. Once we get shocks/springs we will set the suspension up and start the tin work.

551.imgcache.jpg

552.imgcache.jpg

I ordered a belt for the blower, and finished the front brake lines. Still have to do a bunch of little stuff under the hood though.
553.imgcache.jpg

554.imgcache.jpg

555.imgcache.jpg

556.imgcache.jpg

MrFosta

Cali Imported
Jan 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
Got a belt measured up and it fits perfect. This tensioner setup has a manual and spring tensioner built into it. Pretty snazzy
719.imgcache.jpg
720.imgcache.jpg

I powdercoated the piping black, I think it cleans up the underhood a bit. Also changed my coil mounting design. The driver side coils were hitting the alternator and there just wasnt a clean way for me to relocate the one coil. I may relocate them somewhere hidden, but for now this is how they will sit.
721.imgcache.jpg
722.imgcache.jpg

Scott made progress on the cage and tin work as well. The cage will be getting certed next week and the tin should be done as well. Getting close, finally.
723.imgcache.jpg
724.imgcache.jpg

725.imgcache.jpg
726.imgcache.jpg

727.imgcache.jpg
728.imgcache.jpg

All I have left after the cage is seat mounting, a few welded plates, driveshaft, rear wiring, exhaust and the rear half of the fuel system. Should be able to bust those out fairly fast. Also need to get a few items powdercoated, and the interior painted. (Most likely bedliner interior)

MrFosta

Cali Imported
Jan 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
Got the car back home from Scotts. They did AMAZING work on the cage, tinwork, and painting the interior. I couldn't be happier. We still have to set up the rear end and do a final weighing of the car before I can go racing. (Though, I may have gotten to do an initial weighing just to see how much the car weighs. Its pretty light ;) ) Also there is a TON of work left to do at home, which I have been doing almost non stop since friday.

1854.imgcache.jpg

Back in the garage, getting started.

1855.imgcache.jpg

Seats fitted, door bars done. (Done at Scotts)

1856.imgcache.jpg

Still have so much to do under the hood. Chased some wiring gremlins, including not one but TWO bad relays on my summit racing LS1 wiring harness. Was not happy about that, but Picnic George hooked me up as always.

1857.imgcache.jpg

Fuel tank installed for the last time. (I hope)

1858.imgcache.jpg

All this rear end, no more fragged rings and snapped axles for me! :D

1859.imgcache.jpg

Running fuel system, since its a street car I ran check valves so that I don't have to cycle the pump to start the car. :D

1860.imgcache.jpg

To keep my weldon in line I got a fuel pump controller. These new ones are TINY, seems to work well to keep the pump at a quiet level.

1861.imgcache.jpg

Speaking of fuel pumps. Also, if anyone is looking for a nice compact prefilter, summit carries these and they are not expensive at all.

1862.imgcache.jpg

Carpets are for wussies. I think the bedliner interior really turned out well.

1863.imgcache.jpg

Fuel lines, CHECK! Battery cables and extra grounds, CHECK CHECK.

1864.imgcache.jpg

Snazzy battery box that Scott built for me. And the obligatory shutoff switch for when I visit the track.

1865.imgcache.jpg

I like the HIDs, will help a lot for night driving. The old headlights were tragically bad...

1866.imgcache.jpg

Getting closer....

Again, a HUGE thank you to Scott Speed and Custom. They did absolutely amazing work and kept the build to exactly what I wanted. Scott, John, Alex, and the rest of the crew are extremely helpful and knowledgeable on building a badass setu

MrFosta

Cali Imported
Jan 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
Sorry if this seems a little tossed together, I just copied and pasted from my original build thread on another forum back when I was putting the car together. Once I hooked up the transbrake and tried out a big radial just to see what would happen my car seems to get a little light in the front end...

http://vimeo.com/40401224
This is the downside of an extremely short wheelbase car and no transbrake rev-limiter. Makes the car look faster than it actually is hahaha

Thread Info