Bought a RANGER :noes:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Well.... kinda, its a Mazda B2500... 2.5 I4 with a 5-speed. Bought it for work, as i'm driving around 500 miles/ week again. Got it for $750 with 150k on the clock. So far I like it, good for what I need it for. Came with a camper top and ladder rack, which I was going to buy anyways. Only pic so far.

2012-06-26_19-37-55_943.jpg

So, i'm not posting this here to show it off :rofl: mainly looking for some insight in to any issues to be aware of with this drivetrain. Any tricks or techniques? Das and Chris step in :D

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Looks like a 98/00 correct?

Late 90's early 00's ford injectors and coil packs kinda suck and cause hard to track mis-fires.

The 2.5 is rock solid albeit on the edge of dangerously underpowered.

RBV (ranger/Bseries/explorers) like to eat front end bushings like nearly all older fords. The upper control arms especially suck (non-serviceable, bushings and ball joint are part of the arm)

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
I had a '98 2.5 Ranger.

Good thing about those engines is that you wont wreck shit when you blow a timing belt.

It also has 8 spark plugs and the ones on the intake side are kind of a bitch to change. But it can be done without removing the intake manifold.

I also remember making an IAC plate with a smaller hole in it because the hanging rpm's between shifts was annoying.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I have a feeling you are going to get bored fast with this and flip it for twice what you paid.

$750 is a great price, I paid $800 for mine years ago and thought it was a steal.

Either way, he bought it for his 'work' to be more efficient (picking up small shit that's far away could get costly in his Sierra). Could potentially cost him money to sell it with how much he may be saving.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
$750 is a great price, I paid $800 for mine years ago and thought it was a steal.

Either way, he bought it for his 'work' to be more efficient (picking up small shit that's far away could get costly in his Sierra). Could potentially cost him money to sell it with how much he may be saving.

I understand why he picked up the truck. His full size cost a shit ton a week in gas at 500 miles average per week. I'm saying is Mr. Frank is known for flipping cars as much as you should be changing your underwear.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
This is a good little truck. My dad had numerous rangers. Always cheap and realiable. I always loved the Mazdas bed with the small "stepside" curves to it

Amusingly the bed is CRAZY expensive, and just about any collision that damages it would total the truck in an insurance carriers eyes.

Same bed as the ranger STX's

Thread Info