College grad seeking career change...

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
I'm starting to get a little frustrated with my recent job search. I've been an Assistant Golf Professional at a private country club in the western suburbs for the past 4 years, and I'm simply tired of my job. I have no life from May 1st until Halloween and its starting to catch up with me. My 20's are nearly over and I have given in too much to a schedule that doesn't fit very well with my lifestyle. I'm just tired of the 10-12 hour days all weekend long, 6 work days/week, all summer long, for the money that I make. Eventually, the money is there for this type of job, but I've realized that money isn't everything - quality of life is even more important.

I know you are all thinking, "how could you not enjoy playing golf everyday?" Well, that's not exactly what my job entails by any means. By the time my day is over, the last thing on my mind is playing golf. I am simply over-worked and under-paid. Last year, I was the only golf employee that remained from the previous year, and I trained my boss that makes over $100K how to do his job, and basically all the other full-time employees there.

I'm not bitter, I'm just generally a very optimistic person, and I've simply realized that it's time to move on to something bigger, better, and more challenging.

I know this is a long shot, but I thought it couldn't hurt to post up here. I received my B.S. in Organizational Management from NIU in 2002, and think I have a lot to offer to a company that would hire me. I have managed a staff of up to 25 during our peak season, have excellent customer service skills interacting with many of the prominent CEO's, Doctors, Attorneys, and business professionals in the Chicago area on a daily basis. I have strong managerial, project management, and customer service skills and am searching for a new opportunity in such a field. Ideally, I'd be looking for a position that has a somewhat set schedule, Mon-Fri type deal.I'd be willing to travel as needed, and hopefully the position could pay $45K +.

Thanks to those that have helped me thus far in my job search, and if anyone knows companies that are hiring or has any ideas, I'm pretty much open to any suggestions at this point. Feel free to post up, PM me, or email [email protected]

Sorry to get all serious, I just don't know if I can do this for another year.

Thanks guys and gals:biggthump

Jason

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
You and I are in the same line of business. I handle the outside operations for Golf at Wynstone. We are actually looking for an assistant golf professional for this season.

Lots of hours and demand on you and your time comes standard in this industry. The hospitality business is like this everywhere. Especially in the golf management sector. Pay less for more from you. Most places like to run on as minimal operational expenses as possible.

How many rounds does your course do a season? You could try applying at a private low round per season club. That reduces the stress all together.

If your interested in checking out the position at Wynstone let me know. It is a beautiful course and our pro's do get out and play with the members. The workload is high of course which again is expected. LMK

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
You and I are in the same line of business. I handle the outside operations for Golf at Wynstone. We are actually looking for an assistant golf professional for this season.

Lots of hours and demand on you and your time comes standard in this industry. The hospitality business is like this everywhere. Especially in the golf management sector. Pay less for more from you. Most places like to run on as minimal operational expenses as possible.

How many rounds does your course do a season? You could try applying at a private low round per season club. That reduces the stress all together.

If your interested in checking out the position at Wynstone let me know. It is a beautiful course and our pro's do get out and play with the members. The workload is high of course which again is expected. LMK

Wynstone is a great atmosphere.. I caddied there back in there early 90s when i would come home from school (Chick Evans Scholarship).. I received my chick evans from Barrington Hills CC though.. I had a great time caddying for Jordan, Payton, Dennis Quaid, Oral Hershsiser (sp), Wilbur Marshall, Chuck Cecil (green bay packer)... i remember the owner of comdisco (billion dollar company at the time).. made some good cash there.. oh, and its an awesome course!

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004

I appreciate the heads up. Unfortunately, the golf business is starting to feel like a dead end to me. I have worked for a few head professionals, and all of them have had to neglect their families, and I have seen marriages fail becuase of this business. Their children are asleep when they leave for work, and are usually asleep when they get home. Taking a "regular" vacation during the spring, summer, or fall is basically out of the question.

I think I am really starting to grow up, for better or worse, but I don't want to make the sacrifices that are needed only to be over-worked and not be paid accordingly. I'm single and have no kids (that I know of:-o), but I have realized that money is just not everything.

I don't want to have to worry about subjecting my significant other, family, and friends to the rigors of this kind of schedule. I've had a few GF's through the years, and its just not easy. I'd have less of a problem dealing with these types of problems if I was paid $50-$60K a year, but these jobs just dont pay that kind of money. I'm 29, I still have room-mates, renting a house, and I'm just tired of it.

I'm not asking for a handout. I'm prepared to work my butt off at a job where there is the opportunity for advancement , and the pay/schedule is decent. I know and have seen so many people that have jobs where they make $50 and $60K a year, and have no college degree. There is nothing wrong with that, as these are the kind of people that bust their ass to do everything they can to advance their career. $45 or $50K is not an astronomical, unrealistic salary, thats all I really need to make me happy with a job that is better than this. I'm confident that there is a better fit for me in another industry....I just need to find it.

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
Wynstone is a great atmosphere.. I caddied there back in there early 90s when i would come home from school (Chick Evans Scholarship).. I received my chick evans from Barrington Hills CC though.. I had a great time caddying for Jordan, Payton, Dennis Quaid, Oral Hershsiser (sp), Wilbur Marshall, Chuck Cecil (green bay packer)... i remember the owner of comdisco (billion dollar company at the time).. made some good cash there.. oh, and its an awesome course!

ha, i caddied for jordan at bob o link and i caddy for mike ditka who is a member there. i hated caddying for jordan, they played 54 holes 8am-7pm. the spark of caddyin for jordan wore off after the first 5 holes...he was bein too serious!

ive watched the pros at the club i work at come and go. one of them left to try and make it as a pro on tour but is now a sales rep and sells golf apparel to the pro shop. ever think of doing somthing like that?

B

Boost12

I feel the same way you do. I have been working for the same place for the last 4 years and have kinda just got tired of it. I have been friends with the owner for a long time and he treats me awesome and the money I make is great for now however I really am not happy working here anymore:cool: If I did not have my car etc I would not even be here anymore but I really cant afford to do what I do with any other Job I could get right now so I am pretty much stuck here. I have been looking into a few other options and I will be making a change in the next year. I will be a small business owner however as of right now I am not sure what I am going to buy into. Its either gonna be a Bar/Lounge setup with My Cousin or I am going to get my own Sprint Store:headbang:

For now though I told my Boss to SUCK MY COCK " Not really " but now I only work M-F 9-5 :D:D

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
I will be a small business owner however as of right now I am not sure what I am going to buy into. Its either gonna be a Bar/Lounge setup with My Cousin or I am going to get my own Sprint Store:headbang:

For now though I told my Boss to SUCK MY COCK " Not really " but now I only work M-F 9-5 :D:D

Thats awesome man! Let me know if you need a manager:lmao:

Yeah, the only reason I stayed here is becuase the winter is kind of relaxed in the golf industry for obvious reasons, and I had a chance to work a PT job to help pay for my crack habit (car:crying:). But now I'm hitting the job market hard, and I'm not going to stop until I find a better fit.

B

Boost12

Thats awesome man! Let me know if you need a manager:lmao:

Yeah, the only reason I stayed here is becuase the winter is kind of relaxed in the golf industry for obvious reasons, and I had a chance to work a PT job to help pay for my crack habit (car:crying:). But now I'm hitting the job market hard, and I'm not going to stop until I find a better fit.

I would not be able to pay you anything worth while if I was to open up a new store just because its gonna be really slow for the first 6 months to a year. After I finish my car up for the season I am gonna start saving for the Store. I wanna have a min of 6 months rent saved before I open the doors just because who knows what will happen:dunno: I have learned so much about the business its not even funny and am for sure ready to get my own place:headbang:

Blue Roush

Mar 21, 2007
I'm not much one for posting here but thought I should point out the obvious as no one has yet.
Your current position would seem like an ideal opportunity for some serious networking. You even state you deal with persons who are the keys to the types of opportunities you seek. I'd stick with it for a while and take advantage of the chance to "pitch" yourself to as many people as you can.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
I'm not much one for posting here but thought I should point out the obvious as no one has yet.
Your current position would seem like an ideal opportunity for some serious networking. You even state you deal with persons who are the keys to the types of opportunities you seek. I'd stick with it for a while and take advantage of the chance to "pitch" yourself to as many people as you can.

No thats a very valid point, and I am persuing such avenues as well. It's just that a private country club can snowball into nothing short of a soap opera very quickly. I have contacted several members that I am close to and I trust. At the same time, you have to understand that there is a very fine line when it comes to this stuff. The fact of the matter is that wealthy, powerful business people like to chat and "gossip". If certain members found out that I am persuing other employment, that could turn into a problem quickly. They wouldnt have legal grounds to fire me, but I am an "at will" employee, meaning I can basically be fired for no reason at all. I do have members that I am close to and trust, but it can be difficult putting them in a position like this, just a conflict of interest, if you know what I mean, but I am doing all that I can right now while keeping it on the DL.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Great point! :headbang:

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Jul 27, 2006

So true, It all comes down to who you know and not what you know. Good luck with your job search. Keep your head up and keep working hard at it. Im in school getting my MBA and will be in the same boat as you. I will need to look for a new job and it wont be easy. The key is to network and network. Once again good luck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info