Cutting boards?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
What are you guys using? I had a set of three wood ones that i got for cheap on amazon, they have all split in half after about 1.5 years of owning them.

I just dropped $40 on a John Boos 12x18 cutting board hoping it does a little better than the throw-aways i had.
img58o.jpg

My sister spent a stupid amount of money on a Global G-48 7" Chef's knife for me for xmas. CHOP ALL THE THINGS
:fy:

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Butcher block from lumber supply place and a few coats of butcher block sealer (restaurant supply places used to carry it). Better/safer to go with no sealer for contamination purposes and just wash the beJesus out of the block after every use.

Next project for me is making a multicolored butcher block by gluing pieces of wood together that's big enough to cover the countertop above my dishwasher. Until then the cheap plastic ones work just fine and they're easier to replace.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have the board like in the original post. Been great for a couple years. I use Howards Butchers Block Conditioner with beeswax. It is easy to clean and apply. No regrets buying a wood block. With the wood board it seems to be easier to cut the meat versus on a plastic cutting board. As it seems the plastic boards have texture and don't let the knife cut evenly through the meat.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I've heard that even though wood is porous and plastic is not, the plastic cutting boards hold more bacteria than wood. Seems counter intuitive and I still use plastic boards but I wonder if it has merit
The wood acts like a sponge when the beeswax conditioner is applied to it. The wood fills up with the conditioner and beeswax. This helps keep water, blood, bacteria and what not from getting to the wood. Like honey, beeswax has antibacterial properties. So I can see where a properly prepped and maintained wood butchers block can be a better option.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I've heard that even though wood is porous and plastic is not, the plastic cutting boards hold more bacteria than wood. Seems counter intuitive and I still use plastic boards but I wonder if it has merit

I've read the same as well. but, it's the internet. My cutting board has an NSF stamp on it?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info