Garlic Carnitas Pork Shoulder

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
This is a crock pot recipe, but it is so damn good it deserves its own thread. Things you will need...

- Crock Pot
- Good looking pork shoulder
- Garlic and herb rub (Weber's is pretty good)
- Garlic and herb injectable marinade (or marinade of your choice)
- Carnitas slow cooking sauce
- Large skillet
- Oil
- Pepper grinder
- herbs of your choice

IMG_1559.JPG

Fill the pan with enough oil to coat the bottom all the way across. Heat the oil up on medium high until it just begins to lightly smoke. Take the pork shoulder and massage the crap out of it with the garlic and herb rub. Place the meat in the pan and brown each side of the meat (2-3 minutes on each side should do).

IMG_1555.JPG

Pull the meat out when done (giggity) and let it set on a plate for 10 minutes while getting everything else together and having a beer.

IMG_1560.JPG

Inject the meat all the way around with whatever marinade you would like. I would have made a spicier Mexican style marinade, but my old lady doesn't like spicy.

IMG_1562.JPG

Turn the crock pot on low and pour in the 3/4 of the carnitas sauce

IMG_1565.JPG

Place the meat in the crock pot and drizzle the rest of the carnitas sauce over the top of the meat. Crack some black pepper on top, and some herbs of your choice. I use parsley, basil, and oregano.

IMG_1567.JPG

I have an old crockpot, so I cover the flimsy lid with aluminum foil. Cook on low for 6-9ish hours depending on the size of the meat. I like to pull it out of the pot and cover it with foil to let it sit for about 20ish minutes. Cut it up and then throw it all back in the crock pot with the juices and all the goodness that is left in the crockpot from cooking it. Cook for an additional 45 minutes to make it really juicy and flavorful. Enjoy with rice and some of the juices on top or make into tacos/burritos.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I normally don't flavorize pork shoulder, preferring it to be au naturale but that looks pretty good. May try.

I am actually the same way with pork shoulder...usually. There is enough fat on it to flavor itself and needs minimal work to come out good. The injector stuff I used is pretty oily, so this is my winter time recipe and keeps my belly warm. Given i still like mine spicier, but I have to keep the wife happy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info