Sound deadeners...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
While my car is down for the turbo work, I am going to remove seats, carpet, center counsel yadda yadda yadda, and deaden as much as possible throughout the cabin, doors, and trunk. Any hints as to what works the best... any info at all on what you used on your car is greatly appreciated.
I have a budget that i want to stay around of 200 dollars... which may be too little depending on what is recommended...

I dynamatted the trunk of my lumina, and the bass became more responsive, louder, clearer, and my car didnt sound like a rattle trap from the outside. I used a trunk kit, and did every square inch of the trunk. I am not looking for as much sound improvement this time, as killing road noise, and rattles.

here are the questions:

What is the sound deadener you used? (not have heard works well so on and so forth, but actually used)

how much of your car did you deaden?

how many square feet did you purchase?

Any regrets to loading your car up with sound deadener?

Were the benefits worth the hassle?

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
ive used Tsunami-Mat... its basically the same as dynomat but its a little less expensive and not as "gooey" if that makes sense. i did the entire trunk and the license plate and the door skins behind the speakers. i cant remember how much i bought but im pretty sure it was a pack that was intended to coat the inside of a "average" trunk (this was my Passat). it was worth the hassle 100% and if i were to do another system i would use the same product.

edit: i just read what you are using it for... i would use the dynamat foil backed stuff for the floor and front bulkhead (read: firewall) for its heat reflecting properties as well as sound deadening. also do the doors if it is at all possible

Last edited:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
ive used Tsunami-Mat... its basically the same as dynomat but its a little less expensive and not as "gooey" if that makes sense. i did the entire trunk and the license plate and the door skins behind the speakers. i cant remember how much i bought but im pretty sure it was a pack that was intended to coat the inside of a "average" trunk (this was my Passat). it was worth the hassle 100% and if i were to do another system i would use the same product.

edit: i just read what you are using it for... i would use the dynamat foil backed stuff for the floor and front bulkhead (read: firewall) for its heat reflecting properties as well as sound deadening. also do the doors if it is at all possible

definitely possible. thats a lot of great info thanks.

anyone ever heard of RAAMat or edead... or any other off brands...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
update. so while down for the turbo build... this happened;

i dont have any really good pics right now... but do have this one.
i did as much of the car as 100 sq feet could.
the entire trunk is done, along with 95% of the floor, the doors, inside the quarter panels, the rear deck, and inside the doors, on the door skins.
008-2.jpg

differences i noticed between this fatmat rattle trap and dynamat was that this stuff (fatmat) is not as easy to move... doesnt bend and make contours like dynamat, it does it, just with more persuasion. Also, it does smell, it is for surely asphalt based, and leaves a good stink upon application, and when the car heats up, but now it is barely there, if at all.
as for performance, when i dynamatted my lumina, i only did the trunk, and this time, i did the floor and a lil more of the trunk. so i cant really compare it, because it is sort of apples to oranges.
the stuff does work well though, and i got it for around 180 bucks for 100sq feet on ebay.
my car is muuucch more quiet, and my stereo, while little, but mighty, is much more clear and snappy.
i am definitely happy with the results.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Yaj Yak
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list