Need help for manual boost controller

twn-trbo-svt

NEW GUY
Jan 23, 2009
Hey guys...........i have twin turbos with external wastegates....i am in need (bad) of how to hook up a manual boost controller....i am so confused with all these posts on what line goes where and where to install the controller at....any1 have a diagram or can tell me how to complete this nightmare i have having? i had a greddy spec 2 controller which i almost beat with a hammer but i sold it......just now finding out a manual controller has different routing for the vacuum lines and where to tie in the controller:confused::confused::confused:
i should have stayed racing bikes and snowmobiles!!!lol

thanks

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
Hope this helps. Granted you have 2 turbos though. So you would most likely T the 2 turbos together.

wstgate.gif

batman

Surrounded by 10 points
Feb 21, 2005
Hey guys...........i have twin turbos with external wastegates....i am in need (bad) of how to hook up a manual boost controller....i am so confused with all these posts on what line goes where and where to install the controller at....any1 have a diagram or can tell me how to complete this nightmare i have having? i had a greddy spec 2 controller which i almost beat with a hammer but i sold it......just now finding out a manual controller has different routing for the vacuum lines and where to tie in the controller:confused::confused::confused:
i should have stayed racing bikes and snowmobiles!!!lol

thanks

put the smallest springs in the gates

and get yourself a guage that tells you at what the pressure the manual boost controller will open at...(off the car)

twn-trbo-svt

NEW GUY
Jan 23, 2009
this is what i got from tial in a reply to a email i sent to them

Hello,
You will not use the top ports with a manual controller...what you will want
to do is take your boost reference source, that line will go into your inlet
of the manual controller, then the outlet of the controller you will need to
'T' into two lines, each line will go into the bottom port of the
wastegates.

Regards,
Jake
TiAL

this isnt the first place i seen where they say not to use the top port with a manual controller..

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Jul 2, 2008
I dont see why you would not use it. It does not make too much sense to me. But if they said to do it that way they must know what their talking about (I hope). I would turn the controller all the way down to a good reference point of a few lbs of boost. Then adjust it up some more and see if it works. Only one way to be sure.

twn-trbo-svt

NEW GUY
Jan 23, 2009
every post i seen say the top post if for electronic controllers only...on manual its just a vent...........but i agree with you..why wouldnt you want the pressure to keep it closed and adjust how much to open.....so confusing. every1 is different....i would think the pressure from the botom would open it...

anyways i went to precision turbo since its right down the street yesterday and bought spring for the waste gate and blow off valve to make 20psi of boost. so a manual should allow me to go higher correct?? i plan on going back to kurgan to make a run with 26psi in future.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The way Tial said to do it will run real close to the spring pressure. If you do it like the diagram you will get more boost out of that spring. You are basically adding extra pressure on the top side of the wastegate valve to keep the valve shut. Both will work fine. One just will make more boost than the other. The problem with the diagram is there is no way to vent the wastegate. So if you set it up on a hot day then have a cold day the amount of boost you will see can be very different. Unless you have a manual controller that has a vent set up in or with it???

put the smallest springs in the gates

and get yourself a gauge that tells you at what the pressure the manual boost controller will open at...(off the car)

What kind of gauge? I don't get what you are trying to do. Please explain. :biggthump

twn-trbo-svt

NEW GUY
Jan 23, 2009
The way Tial said to do it will run real close to the spring pressure. If you do it like the diagram you will get more boost out of that spring. You are basically adding extra pressure on the top side of the wastegate valve to keep the valve shut. Both will work fine. One just will make more boost than the other. The problem with the diagram is there is no way to vent the wastegate. So if you set it up on a hot day then have a cold day the amount of boost you will see can be very different. Unless you have a manual controller that has a vent set up in or with it???

What kind of gauge? I don't get what you are trying to do. Please explain. :biggthump

right now i have a home depot pressure gauge......but it makes sense from what info i am getting from you guys........i should atleast get a vented controller:biggthump

next i want to add that the springs precision turbo gave me makes 20psi....suppose to anyways.....so thats what my car is tuned for so i should be able to run car without any controler...but when i go for another tune with more boost i wanna get a vented controller and run the lines to the top and the bottom to get more pressure like MERC says?

twn-trbo-svt

NEW GUY
Jan 23, 2009
got the last replies from tial just now.......i am gonna post them to see what i asked and what he said.....let me know if any1 has input on the answers but i think i got what to do now.....the email are posted backwards so read from the bottom to the top

Yes the manual controller will delay the signal to the gate giving you more
boost if you so desire

Jake
TiAL

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:43 PM
To: Jake Niergarth
Subject: RE: Need help ASAP!!

sorry to bother but will this way your telling me be able to produce more
boost then the springs i have in the wastegates and BOV?

Jason
(77
HAYES MECHANICAL
5959. SOUTH HARLEM AVE.
CHICAGO, IL 60638-3131

Sent: Wed 4/29/2009 10:17 AM
To: Jason
Subject: RE: Need help ASAP!!

Hello,
You will not use the top ports with a manual controller...what you will want
to do is take your boost reference source, that line will go into your inlet
of the manual controller, then the outlet of the controller you will need to
'T' into two lines, each line will go into the bottom port of the
wastegates.

Regards,
Jake
TiAL

Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:43 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Need help ASAP!!

Hi i have a 2003 cobra with twin turbos and external tial wastegates. I am
in need of a diagram on how to hook up a manual boost controller to your (2)
tial wastegates CORRECTLY. I am so confused on the top and bottom ports of
the wastegates and where they go to!! Any help would greatly be appreciated!
any questions please feel free to contact me. thanks again

Jaso
(773)-
HAYES MECHANICAL
5959. SOUTH HARLEM AVE.
CHICAGO, IL 60638-3131

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
right now i have a home depot pressure gauge......but it makes sense from what info i am getting from you guys........i should atleast get a vented controller:biggthump

next i want to add that the springs precision turbo gave me makes 20psi....suppose to anyways.....so thats what my car is tuned for so i should be able to run car without any controler...but when i go for another tune with more boost i wanna get a vented controller and run the lines to the top and the bottom to get more pressure like MERC says?

I don't understand how you will test a wastegate off the car? With a pressure gauge. The wastegate never sees vacuum. Just boost or atmosphere. And there is not exhaust pressure on the bottom of valve pushing against it. So that just has me completely confused.

If you want to make 20# with the springs just run the pressure feed to the bottom or side port of the wastegate. Leave the top port open. Or a breathable filter if the unit came with one.

If you want to run more that the springs will give you, 20# or more, I highly suggest you get a good electronic controller. The AEM unit seems to work well and is easy to use. Comes with good directions as well. Then they get more expensive and complex from there.

twn-trbo-svt

NEW GUY
Jan 23, 2009
im not the 1 saying to test the Wgate for pressure......i never heard of that in my life.....

but to mercs reply....i tried electronic and for what i do with the car manual is fine. i just want to be able to make 26psi when i go back to kurgan........when i said the springs in the car are set for 20psi i meant they will make 20psi without manual controller.... and with a manual can i make alot more psi then 20

twn-trbo-svt

NEW GUY
Jan 23, 2009
he said if i have springs to make 20 psi it can double with a controller...but we both know 57s and my car wont handle that...i just want to make 26-30 if i can.....i told kurgan i will be there to make a high boost run when i got a built block in the corner of the garage just incase lol

thanks again guys i think i got somewhere today with your help!!

VIPERKILLER

ViperKiller Inc.Since '99
Apr 11, 2006
i had an apex-i avcr elec boost controller. the wiring diagram on that thing gave me, and other people nightmares. I think i had SP or some other import place install it. since they have extensive experience with those and TT as well as single turbo cars.

I ended up just buying a shit ton of waste gate springs, in every LB possible, and swapping them as needed. i was much happier doing that, then dealing with my boost controller.

twn-trbo-svt

NEW GUY
Jan 23, 2009
i had an apex-i avcr elec boost controller. the wiring diagram on that thing gave me, and other people nightmares. I think i had SP or some other import place install it. since they have extensive experience with those and TT as well as single turbo cars.

I ended up just buying a shit ton of waste gate springs, in every LB possible, and swapping them as needed. i was much happier doing that, then dealing with my boost controller.
X10000000000000000000000000^^^^^^^ I AGREE......dam controller shit is so difficult!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info