$2500 9" taken down by $0.50 nut!

Shmirgin44

Fire and Ice
Aug 14, 2007
While driving this evening, the car felt a bit "wishy-washy".

When I would come to a complete stop the car seemed to rock side-to-side as well as back and forth. I had an oppotunity to run a SRT-10 viper up to silly speeds and put about 3 cars on him so I figured I was just being paranoid. No sooner than 10 min later and I was about to line up against a new CTS-V when I heard a HORRIBLE rubbing/grinding sound and tire smoke.

Limped the car home, got the jack under it and determined that the main bolt that secures the rear end on the passenger side was basically fully backed out!!!:mad:
DSC_0229_copy.jpg

Luckily the only fallout I can see is a 2" wide, 3/4" deep dent in the passenger exhaust from the tire and the carnage the inner passenger rear received courtesy of my non rolled fender.

DSC_0235_copy.jpg

I know this could have turned out alot worse so I'm not really too pissed, but still WTF?!

Shmirgin44

Fire and Ice
Aug 14, 2007
Already on it! Going to tap that fugger back in place and secure with a new locknut and blue loctite! I am a little worried about the tire now since there is a pretty deep groove on the inner sidewall that's not visible in the pic. I'll road test tomorrrow after work and report back. I still can't believe that shit is hanging by a thread and the car is pretty much otherwise OK! If I didn't have the bigass tires on it, I may not have noticed until the rear end fell out...

Shmirgin44

Fire and Ice
Aug 14, 2007
Seeing the wheel and tire rolling past you would have been worse. One of my employees and my dad have had that happen with our trucks. We don't go to Tire Services in Palos anymore...

Buy a new tire to prevent a future blow out.

You must get your car worked on at the same place Jimbo does:D.

I am going to call tire rack to order a new set today...resisting all urge to run at the track tomorrow, dont wanna put it in the wall

Shmirgin44

Fire and Ice
Aug 14, 2007
wow, thats some scary shit right there... glad everything worked out so its not too bad. told ya, gotta watch out for those tires getting chewed up, hans should be able to get you hooked up though!

Ironically, I am glad they got chewed up a bit or I may not have noticed the rear end was about to fall out till it was too late...

Ill have Hans roll the damn fenders when I have it in for my cage install next month:biggthump

Shmirgin44

Fire and Ice
Aug 14, 2007
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sure glad you didn't have anything bad happen!

Me too...when I got it up, I spent about 5 min checking the shocks to make sure they were on the same stifness setting and was beginning to scratch my head...I got the flashlight out and looked up there and my stomach just dropped. I think the subframe connectors and misc bracing saved my ass.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Me too...when I got it up, I spent about 5 min checking the shocks to make sure they were on the same stifness setting and was beginning to scratch my head...I got the flashlight out and looked up there and my stomach just dropped. I think the subframe connectors and misc bracing saved my ass.

Someone's looking out for you. :biggthump

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info