Removing wheels on '04 Expedition?

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Anyone know if there is a trick to getting the wheels off of a 2004 Expedition (w/ TPS)? I need to change the brakes on my wife's Expedition and I took off the lugs and the wheel wouldn't budge at all! I tried wiggling it around, and the entire truck shook like it was still firmly attached. Is it just rusted on, or is there something that I missed? I hit it w/ WD-40 a few times and then ran out of time, so it'll sit until tomorrow, but figured I would check and see if I've missed something really dumb...

Thx.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Do you know if the wheels have ever been taken off??

if they havent its probably condesation between the hub and the wheel, just keep hitting it til it bulges.

+1 Beth's wheels would do that on the lightning... Had to lay underneath it and kick them off from behind :eek:

Put antiseize on back of wheel that contacts the hub when putting em back on.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Do you know if the wheels have ever been taken off??

if they havent its probably condesation between the hub and the wheel, just keep hitting it til it bulges.

Yeah, they've been off, probably w/in the last 20k miles or so when I had all the tires replaced.

Thanks Carl - I'll try just beating on it a little more. Maybe by tomorrow the WD-40 will have had some time to penetrate and help out a bit...

skyhighsd

auto mofo
Mar 25, 2007
If you have not gotten them off yet, do one tire at a time loosen all of the lug nuts and either take the car around the block or to a parking lot and do some circles and they will pop. Have to love how alum and steel love each other so much. This is a trick that a friend of mine does and he is a master ASE mechanic. Next time put some anti seize on the hub where the wheel hits and you will not have this issue again. But the above is a trick when nothing else works. Also another thing to try is to stand with your back to the car and kick it sometime that will work to.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info