I need help

BigB_61186

Jun 16, 2008
i got a 96 mustang gt 4.6l flows and a o/r h pipe ok (no MIL's on the h pipe) ok last week my battery voltage has been moving from the R to the M and a lil past the M on the battery gauge when im stop at a light or when i put in drive or park or any of the gears, the car was running great no problems well i got got home lift the hood i turned the car off first, made sure all my wires were on the coil packs push them to see if they were on there every thing looked fine to me well the next day i went to start it up the it was RUNNING ROUGH idleing. the mustang sound it like it was kinda misfiring you can say it was acting the way if you took one of the wires off the coil pack if you what i mean i have done it before and pluged them back in and it ran fine in the past, i was like skip it i have to be some where right now well it was kinda soundit like it was boging down like ran out of gas you can say well i pushed the gas pedel then it got up and went down the road i got home called some one to see if they new whats the problem they said they dont know well i took it down to the the garage tuesday of this week they said that they tryed to put it on the gun and they came up with it the o2 sensors were not pluged in i said no shit i know that they couldnt get pass the check engine light with the o2's not hooked up and he said the belt tensioner bracket needed to be tightin up and the alternator was making a funny nosie he checked it said its going bad so this is my questions A:do i need to change my spark pulgs and wires? B:is the alternator making this problem? or C: have you seen this happen and can you help me out with this please?:confused:

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
first of all use some of these please:D... ,,,...

it sounds like the alternator going out, and the reason the car was running rough was probably because the o2's werent plugged in.

I dont think you need to change the plugs but it wouldnt hurt to take a look at them

BigB_61186

Jun 16, 2008
alright like i said the car was running great hollaween weekend that monday night i went home from michigan to ohio (its a 107 mile trip) the battry gauge problem started the car was running great i had the o2's pluged in i had the car since like spring of this year and ran fine i have took it on a few trips from southern indiana to north west ohio when we moved thats like over 600 miles then took it up to michigan a few times it ran great

94' cobra 351

Regular
Feb 5, 2007
It is easy to check and see if your alternator is going bad. Take a multimeter and measure the voltage (DC voltage) the battery has when the car is off. You should get somewhere between 12-13v. Then start your car and check the voltage again. If the alternator is charging, the voltage at the battery will be higher (maybe a little over 14v? Depends on the alternator.)

Like the other guy said, if you take it to any autoparts store, they will diagnose the problem for you.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
first of all use some of these please:D... ,,,...
BIG +1
it sounds like the alternator going out, and the reason the car was running rough was probably because the o2's werent plugged in.

Yup, i had a 96 GT and that's exactly what it did when the alternator went out. In words the OP can better understand

if you are driving and car not running right the battry might be low or the idle is rough there is a couple things that can be messed up in the car it could be ignition fuel spark plugs fuel flat tire dirty maf alternator if the alternator is bad you can change battery but won't help cuz battery not getting charged cuz alternator bad could be alternator flat tire bent rim and clogged maf or none of the above but probly not bent rim or flat tire i just made that up don't know start replacing parts

BigB_61186

Jun 16, 2008
It is easy to check and see if your alternator is going bad. Take a multimeter and measure the voltage (DC voltage) the battery has when the car is off. You should get somewhere between 12-13v. Then start your car and check the voltage again. If the alternator is charging, the voltage at the battery will be higher (maybe a little over 14v? Depends on the alternator.)

Like the other guy said, if you take it to any autoparts store, they will diagnose the problem for you.
yea i probaly do that today i hope this is the problem

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
if you are driving and car not running right the battry might be low or the idle is rough there is a couple things that can be messed up in the car it could be ignition fuel spark plugs fuel flat tire dirty maf alternator if the alternator is bad you can change battery but won't help cuz battery not getting charged cuz alternator bad could be alternator flat tire bent rim and clogged maf or none of the above but probly not bent rim or flat tire i just made that up don't know start replacing parts
:laughing2

Logan@DeansPerformance

Tai Ni Po Ni
Dec 1, 2006
BIG +1

man its cool that you help him because if not than he wouldnt know how to fix problem with car but he know now that you have same issue with car and make car run right hopefully with what hjes doing because car not running right now and Halloweens was fun with candy and costumes with o2 sensors

stangman

Jul 20, 2007
hey i kinda had the same problem. everytime i was at a stop light i would look at my radar which tells me how much voltage im getting and it would drop to 11.7 and even lower and if it was at nite i would c my instrument cluster get very dim. i replaced that alternator and now its running fine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info