Taller valve covers with an EFI intake on 5.0L ?!?!?

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Well, I have been using double thick valve cover gaskets on my valve covers to clear the 1.6 RR and poly locks on my engine and it has never sealed perfectly. Now that I have the motor out of the car, I was looking at new valve covers, but was told the tall ones that will clear the roller rockers would require me to run a 1" intake spacer on the car. I had a 3/8" spacer on there already, and would use it again if needed, but dont have the hood clearance for a 1" spacer.

I was also hoping to get some valve covers that were baffled and I could put breathers into just to make sure the engine was able to vent really well, especially once I throw some boost at it.

Are there any middle ground valve covers that will clear the RR's and not need a huge intake space ??? Do they allow for baffles and push in K&N style breathers ???

Any suggestions or comments would be GREATLY appreciated...

batman

Surrounded by 10 points
Feb 21, 2005
DSC00465.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

I had a set of those a while back. They are almost as tall as the FMS tall valve covers. They will not clear most EFI intakes with out spacers.

I have a set of valve covers that are a little taller than the stock ones and still clear my Holley intake with out a spacer. I still had to clearance the baffle area when I had the Probe Track Dominator rockers. But those things were huge! They clear my shaft rockers with no issue at all. I found them on Ebay sold by a Blue Oval Industries or something like that. The have the same look as stock valve covers but are chrome.

If you want to run boost you may want to think about running a hose to a breather tank in the inner fender well. Then you can drain that. There are a ton of guys on the Corral doing that. I run a screw on breather where the factory oil fill cap was. No issues with blow by. But it is a newer motor built for boost. Ditch the PCV valve or at least put a one way check valve inline of the intake and PCV valve.

*Edit* Here is a link to the valve covers I have.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
I have a nice one way check valve in my PCV line and the line that goes to my vacuum tree. That way vacuum can pass through but boost cannot.

I run just one breather that I bought from UPR in the oil fill neck and have not had any blow by issues so far. If you do start to have blow by you can always install a catch can setup.

aod92

Regular
Aug 26, 2008
I have a nice one way check valve in my PCV line and the line that goes to my vacuum tree. That way vacuum can pass through but boost cannot.

I run just one breather that I bought from UPR in the oil fill neck and have not had any blow by issues so far. If you do start to have blow by you can always install a catch can setup.
That's exactly how mine is set up as well!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Do any of you know if theres a tutorial or guide on how much clearancing needs to be done in the valve covers ??? Im guessing its mostly all the "bumps" under the covers, but dont want to remove any material that doesnt need to be removed.....

Yes, mainly by the casting for the baffles. Just remove the screws (or rivets) for the baffle to remove the metal plate. Then place play-doh on the valve cover structure for the baffle (after cleaning of course). Then spray the rockers with oil or WD-40. Then place the valve cover on but loose, no bolts tightened down or anything. Pull the valve cover off. See where it hits the play-doh and clearance there. Repeat the procedure till it looks like the valve cover clears. Then with the VC on, but still loose, turn the motor over by hand. Check the play-doh again. Clearance where needed. Once it seems to be clearing everything take th e VC with the play-doh on it and install it with a gasket. Tighten the VC down. Turn the motor over again. Take the VC off and inspect it. You want some good clearance but nothing crazy like 1/2".

You will have to check the corners of the VC by the rockers too. They can hit there sometimes depending on the rocker.

95mustang_gt

Apr 3, 2007
I run the trick flow short valve covers with 1.6 rockers,they work pretty good.I would ditch the pcv system and run open breather on each valve cover.That way you wont have to worry about oil getting into the intake with the pcv system .The trick flow valve covers dont come with baffles,so i made my own with sheet metal and welded the baffles in the valve covers.Im running 13lbs of boost on my 306 with no issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info