Company Truck Side Swiped me on 88

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
This happened last week. I was doing about 50 mph going east bound towards 355 north. I'm jamming to the radio and all of a sudden I'm right next to a flat bed style truck hauling lumber for boarding up houses jams into my car. The driver didnt even know. i took the plates down and called management from the company (Chicago Flame Proof in Montgomery, ILhttp://www.chicagoflameproof.com/.

I got quoted at a few places. I went to Sterling Autobody. I heard that do a great job. They quoted me $2700. They milked the quote. I can tell

Then I went to Boyce Autobody because my GF mentioned she went to a party at the shop back in HS. I guess she use to know the owners son. THey quoted me $2400 in damage.

I had to take off of work on Tuesday to do this along with waste gas on the driving for the quotes. The company said they are going through there insurance. Will they cut the check to me? My name?

I'm trying to make about $600 off of this

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
This happened last week. I was doing about 50 mph going east bound towards 355 north. I'm jamming to the radio and all of a sudden I'm right next to a flat bed style truck hauling lumber for boarding up houses jams into my car. The driver didnt even know. i took the plates down and called management from the company (Chicago Flame Proof in Montgomery, ILhttp://www.chicagoflameproof.com/.

I got quoted at a few places. I went to Sterling Autobody. I heard that do a great job. They quoted me $2700. They milked the quote. I can tell

Then I went to Boyce Autobody because my GF mentioned she went to a party at the shop back in HS. I guess she use to know the owners son. THey quoted me $2400 in damage.

I had to take off of work on Tuesday to do this along with waste gas on the driving for the quotes. The company said they are going through there insurance. Will they cut the check to me? My name?

I'm trying to make about $600 off of this

To my understanding they cut the check to you for the price of the final repair, not the quote?

Kamil had a situation like this, hopefully he will step in.

(On a side note, don't try, nor count on making money off the insurance from this, I would request money from the trucking company for the time you had to take off of work that has inconvenienced you, if they say no, consult a lawyer.)

They'll probably recommend you to a body shop and offer to pay whatever they say the estimate is, or if you want to stick with the shops you went to depending on if the shops you went to are more expensive they'll try to bargain with them for a cheaper price and cut you a check and you can do whatever you want with it. At least that's what they told me when my neighbor backed into my car. I fully regret going to the insurance companies body shop cause they did a terrible job.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
They'll probably recommend you to a body shop and offer to pay whatever they say the estimate is, or if you want to stick with the shops you went to depending on if the shops you went to are more expensive they'll try to bargain with them for a cheaper price and cut you a check and you can do whatever you want with it. At least that's what they told me when my neighbor backed into my car. I fully regret going to the insurance companies body shop cause they did a terrible job.

"IF" they cut the check to my name then I'll go to my local guy in Batavia and have him do it for $1800 and pocket the $600

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
"IF" they cut the check to my name then I'll go to my local guy in Batavia and have him do it for $1800 and pocket the $600

I am fairly certain they do cut it to your name. My aunt got rear-ended in her van, and she didn't repair it and just pocketed the money despite getting quotes for the repair. (Such minor damage)

but yea, they may MAKE you bring it to one of their shops for a quote, and if its much lower than what your shops gave, they will happily argue with you/them I'm sure.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
your supposed to work it out with the body shop. cause the insurance compan WILL see the final bill of repair. body shop sends them 1800 dollar final bill, they gave you 2400..... something aint right junior! bam, ur in jail.

not sure about that one. What if you take the check and 'repair it yourself'

body shop I don't think has to send anything other than a quote, past that after the insurance company cuts the check, they're done.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
not in my expriences, most insurance companies require all materials to be recipted. if u fix it urself, u must send in copies for bondo, part, and figure in labor, and paint. where u gunna get all that?

maybe u wont have to, maybe this truck sompany has some ghetto insurance. mybe the company i dealt with was the ghetto one, im only talking of my experiences not of 'factual' evidence [/disclaimer]

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
not in my expriences, most insurance companies require all materials to be recipted. if u fix it urself, u must send in copies for bondo, part, and figure in labor, and paint. where u gunna get all that?

maybe u wont have to, maybe this truck sompany has some ghetto insurance. mybe the company i dealt with was the ghetto one, im only talking of my experiences not of 'factual' evidence [/disclaimer]

Yeah I requested NO bondo. Tha tmakes it a bit higher but the cars still new. I got it 3 months ago with 6700 miles on it. All new shit

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
I'm pretty sure once the insurance company cuts you a check to what their estimate of the damage is you can do whatever you want with it. A lot of people will get a check from the insurance and just go about buying used parts themselves and have a body shop work with that.

If all goes well. I'll buy the mirror and window myself. My Gfs dad has his mechanic shop and can get hook ups on OEM parts.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Who is your insurance through?

Cuz if its through american family... my dad would most likely be looking at your car, and you should send me a pm.

If I were in your shoes, I would have the adjuster come to your house, and write an estimate, and also the check. The adjuster will not need to know where you are repairing it or who is doing the work.

In all honesty, I would let your insurance know, it wouldnt go against you, and your insurance company would go after said company's insurance company for money. Seriously tho, if you have amfam, let me know asap.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Who is your insurance through?

Cuz if its through american family... my dad would most likely be looking at your car, and you should send me a pm.

If I were in your shoes, I would have the adjuster come to your house, and write an estimate, and also the check. The adjuster will not need to know where you are repairing it or who is doing the work.

In all honesty, I would let your insurance know, it wouldnt go against you, and your insurance company would go after said company's insurance company for money. Seriously tho, if you have amfam, let me know asap.

I have Nation Wide Insurance. I contacted my agent because she's friends of the family. Rather than paying a $250 deductible which may take up to a year to get back to talk with the company and see what they want to do. I did that. He said depending on the quote he may cut a company check or go through insurance. Well, needless to say he's going through the insurance. I need a rental vehicle as well for work. It will take about 4-5 days.

I'm not sure of his insurance company info as of yet. I'll be calling shortly to find this all out. I spoke with the manager of the company late afternoon and he said he would have it all for me today.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I have Nation Wide Insurance. I contacted my agent because she's friends of the family. Rather than paying a $250 deductible which may take up to a year to get back to talk with the company and see what they want to do. I did that. He said depending on the quote he may cut a company check or go through insurance. Well, needless to say he's going through the insurance. I need a rental vehicle as well for work. It will take about 4-5 days.

I'm not sure of his insurance company info as of yet. I'll be calling shortly to find this all out. I spoke with the manager of the company late afternoon and he said he would have it all for me today.

aight. my dad is buddies with a loootttt of body shops out this way... more mchenry area stuff than algonquin, but he is realllly good friends at the guys at adams next to lake in the hills airport, also the one by nicks pizza, spring hill autobody, crystal lake auto body, a few in cary/fox river grove that do reallly good work, either way, if you need anything let me know.

Slider

Regular
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
If they're going through insurance their insurance should contact you. They will probably have an adjuster come out or have you drive to an appraisal place. Either way you get a check for the amount. If the repair comes out more than the estimate the body shop has to talk with them to give them more money.

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
aight. my dad is buddies with a loootttt of body shops out this way... more mchenry area stuff than algonquin, but he is realllly good friends at the guys at adams next to lake in the hills airport, also the one by nicks pizza, spring hill autobody, crystal lake auto body, a few in cary/fox river grove that do reallly good work, either way, if you need anything let me know.

I just took my Tahoe to Spring Hill

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info