Lol at CEL an Limp-mode after 5 days of ownership

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Insert Ford Joke here: :bowrofl:

This is why I buy warranties even though I'm a ford nut-hugger.

Humid last night, and this morning,

CEL and Limp lights came on last night, Restarted car, drove fine

This morning CEL again, no limp, restart, still CEL. going to the zone tonight to get it scanned, car has an appointment on Friday for this, as well as to repair my passenger window that the porters scratched the piss out of.

*edit*

Pulled codes:

Scanned codes pulled were "Throttle positioning sensor", and for "Throttle actuator control sstem -Forced limited power"

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
in4shithittingfan.

I'm sure a million people will comment on this, but keep in mind

Focus had the air bag light come on intermittently, something gave out on the rear suspension 2 days before trading it in, and I've owned it since new.

I have a warranty for a reason :smile:, and besides, I assumed something would let go within the first week of ownership (again, dealer had the car for 2 years, suddenly it being driven daily again after that time, something is probably dirty sensor wise)

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm sure a million people will comment on this, but keep in mind

Focus had the air bag light come on intermittently, something gave out on the rear suspension 2 days before trading it in, and I've owned it since new.

I have a warranty for a reason :smile:, and besides, I assumed something would let go within the first week of ownership (again, dealer had the car for 2 years, suddenly it being driven daily again after that time, something is probably dirty sensor wise)

i hope the best for you.

i just wanted the space of the first reply to be taken appropriately. :wink:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
if the gas cap is leaking or not sealing it will set off some sort of an evap code (sometimes)...go outside, make sure the gas cap is nice and tight and pull the battery cables, reset the computer and see what happens

Yea, I'm gonna check the gas cap, Check the bay for loose wires, and then head to autozone to have the codes pulled/cleared.

Thanks for the help, I wish everyone was as useful as you :wink:

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
I test drove the car twice prior, and put it through its paces both times. a code would have come up, sorry to disappoint.

certain codes need a certain amount of failed trips to set a light. you driving it a couple times at the dealer may not have set it off.
if you have the large evap leak code (gas cap loose) you wouldnt be in "limp" mode, but rather your MIL would be on along with the check gas cap light (if equipped).

and so it begins......:rofl:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
to my knowledge the little wrench just means maintenence required, not limp mode. the sluggish throttle could just be the engine trying to correct for the malfunction that turned the CEL on in the first place... when people say limp mode they are generally talking about an automatic trans stuck in second gear as a failsafe just to get to the dealership for repairs.

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
I test drove the car twice prior, and put it through its paces both times. a code would have come up, sorry to disappoint.

Regardless, if they did do that, it doesn't matter, Warranty...

buddy of mine traded in his pieced back together mustang after blowing the motor. it was throwing codes like mad, he stopped in parking lot right next to carmax, left the battery cable off, reset computer, drove car there, they test drove it for like 20 mins and no code showed up.

moral of the story, most codes dont show up right away after being "reset" so dont take you driving it as a sure thing it never had codes

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info