Auto trans conversion

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I am partial to the 4R70W. In stock form they are ok and can be built to take one hell of a beating.

Get a built 4R with a high stall and a manual VB and whatever shifter you prefer. Get a driveshaft out of an auto GT. There shouldn't be much to it being that you will be going from a manual to a manually operated auto trans. Don't forget the flexplate and likely a starter out of an auto GT.

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
I just did the 4R70W converstion this winter and LOVE it. The car is a completely different car now. My trans was built by Darrin at BC-Automotive in Danville, IN. It has every option available...extra clutches, strong intermediate shaft, tailshaft cooling mod, etc. I also have a PA Racing full manual VB that retains lockup and overdrive. It also has a trans brake.
I had Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts build he converter and it is pretty close on the first try.
I'm using the B&M Pro-Stick for a shifter, I don't like the feel of rachet shifters.

It's not a cheap conversion and all I can say is do ton of reading and research before making the move.

CREJoe

Chassis Builder
Jun 15, 2007
A built automatic is the only way to fly for a drag car, unless of course you run a Liberty or Lenco. You'll be very happy with a trans brake type as well. My shop builds and installs them and every guy who does the swap swears to never go back to the manual. They're typically more durable and definitely faster. Make sure you get good parts up front and you won't be sorry. Good luck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info