Epic Failure: Honda Edition?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So after all the trouble of ordering a Walbro 255, a FPR, etc etc etc. to deal with my lean condition and getting ready for the track next weekend.

I get around to doing my tune-up today (as well as installing the FPR/Walbro, etc)

and pull out my spark plugs to find....... (now keep in mind, OEM is NGK V-Power gapped at .044)

AC delco plugs gapped to .077.... Excuse me?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Wow, those are from the previous owner and you never checked? WILD. I had some plugs lose gap but that is a lot of gap, seems like they just threw some plugs in for you.

Previous owner was a girl who was in college.

Car got 'wrecked' and sold at auction, I bought the motor from the dealer that bought the car ($250, just over 100K on the clock IIRC)

I assume she brought the car to a shop and asked them to do a tuneup kinda crap, or someone did, but AC Delcos???

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Surprisingly the plugs didn't cause all of the lean condition, I changed them out and drove on the new NGK's before replacing the fuel pump and it still leaned out. (albeit only to 15.4-16.0 on the gauge opposed to 16.8)

fucking plugs wouldn't cause a lean condition genius...

A wide gap would cause the misfires, but plugs have nothing to do with how rich or lean the thing is.
And I'm also interested why the make of the plug matters? If the heat range is right, who the fuck cares if it's Delco, NGK, Champion, Autolite, etc...
:roflpicard:

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
I could see that gap causing your lean condition. :rofl: Nice to see you got it fixed.

False.

Plugs could cause a rich condition, but never a lean condition.

You can't burn too much fuel to make it turn into O2, and having an excessively gapped plug only makes it more difficult to get a good spark to burn anything in the first place.

I'm glad your fuel pump fixed the problem, though.

*edit*

after furrrrther reading I see my information was already posted. But, I'm leaving that up to emphasize the point :)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
False.

Plugs could cause a rich condition, but never a lean condition.

You can't burn too much fuel to make it turn into O2, and having an excessively gapped plug only makes it more difficult to get a good spark to burn anything in the first place.

I'm glad your fuel pump fixed the problem, though.

*edit*

after furrrrther reading I see my information was already posted. But, I'm leaving that up to emphasize the point :)

I actually mentioned the plugs causing a lean condition. I only said that cause I noticed my O2s go up when I changed mine. :dunno: Granted, it was narrowband. :roflpicard:

:dunno: Not saying you're wrong. Just my experience.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
:dunno: Not saying you're wrong. Just my experience.

O2's returning to stoic and O2's going lean are two different things. Of course you'll be running rich if you have fouled plugs and of course when you replace them your O2's should return to normal. The only way to encounter a lean condition, however, is by not delivering enough fuel which has nothing to do with spark plugs.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
fucking plugs wouldn't cause a lean condition genius...

A wide gap would cause the misfires, but plugs have nothing to do with how rich or lean the thing is.
And I'm also interested why the make of the plug matters? If the heat range is right, who the fuck cares if it's Delco, NGK, Champion, Autolite, etc...
:roflpicard:

I had no idea if the gap would effect A/F ratio or not, thats why I brought it up, but I replaced them anyways because I figured it wasn't a good thing, no need to be an ass about it.

So let me get this strait. You swapped in a different motor and didnt even bother to change the plugs? Which is a simple 5 min task on a motor like that. There is no one to blame here besides your negligence, if this is indeed a problem. AC Delco's are just rebaged NGK's anyway...

Plugs weren't the issue, Fuel pump was.

after spending so much money motor swap I was Broke-Ass, and didn't bother doing the tune-up stuff on it because it ran like a top.

I can't afford to pour all my money into my car like some people can, I have bills to pay. (and don't give me "Oh, but they are only $10-20 bucks" crap, After spending nearly a grand to get my swap 100% I didn't wanna let myself fall behind on bills so I was counting my pennies for a few weeks after that, and by then I forgot about it since it was running fine anyways.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Plugs weren't the issue, Fuel pump was.

after spending so much money motor swap I was Broke-Ass, and didn't bother doing the tune-up stuff on it because it ran like a top.

I can't afford to pour all my money into my car like some people can, I have bills to pay. (and don't give me "Oh, but they are only $10-20 bucks" crap, After spending nearly a grand to get my swap 100% I didn't wanna let myself fall behind on bills so I was counting my pennies for a few weeks after that, and by then I forgot about it since it was running fine anyways.

If plugs arnt the issue, and the car ran like a top, why did you make this thread then, bitching about the GM plugs and the gap.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info