Wavy intercooler mod.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
My friend just showed me that someone posted this on Honda Tech.. :bowrofl:

-: epic lulz ahead..read link
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/2337407

If you don't want to click the link, here you go

has anyone heard of the wavy intercooler mod?
supposedly you just use a press to make waves into the intercooler.. effectively causing turbulence in the airflow which effectively decreases air intake temps by a whole lot more than a straight intercooler..here is a modified greddy intercooler... from what i hear it doesn't work with cheap ebay junk intercoolers.. because all they do is snap in lots of places.. some people suggest that you stick the chinamen intercoolers into an oven to get hot before even trying to do the wavy mod on em...

img1158qr2.jpg

the theory is simple.. that the air will have more contact time with the fins of the intercooler thereby decreasing the air temps by alot!

stdvswavywh0.jpg

theres some dyno graphs out there and also ive heard this from more than one person.. theres also someone testing with a temp sensor on standard intercooler vs wavey and the wavy intercooler kicks the standard intercooler all across the board..
more temp drop
responds better to nitrous spray onto the ic
the only downside to the wavy intercooler mod is that it causes a little bit more psi drop.. but the considerably cooler air intake temps make up for that in hp.. the psi drop can be made up for with a mbc anyways ;)

I haven't laughed this hard in quite some time.

Edit: I put it up on Digg, too..
http://digg.com/design/The_wavey_intercooler_mod_NOBODY_Ever_knew_about

Last edited:

esteinmaier

Dark Helmet
Jun 17, 2008
Sweet. I wonder if I put a mini-fridge in the back seat, and cut a hole in the door, then ran dryer ducts to the intake of the turbo, would that work better as an intercooler?

OK /SARCASM

In all reality, it may increase the temperature differential from the inlet to the outlet. However, it will also increase the pressure differential from the inlet to the outlet, forcing the turbo to spin faster to obtain the same manifold pressure, creating more heat to being with.
That's a good way to make your car ugly with no benefit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info