subwoofer cuts out at higher volume

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well i finally got everything working on my stereo so i decided to try the subwoofer again. well it works at much lower volumes then it cuts out when i start to turn it up. its an mtx 250d amp and an infinity 10" kappa perfect. worked perfectly fine in my old stang and this stang is the exact same setup except instead of the speaker wire going into the aftermarket headunit, its tapped into one of the rear 5" speakers (very cleanly done).

not sure if its being overloaded or something but it will not play past a certain volume, then i turn down the volume down to a lower level after it cuts out and it will start back up after a second. any ideas to what might be happening to it and hopefully be able to make it work all the time?

Cobratom

Regular
May 14, 2004
hazmat404 said:
well i finally got everything working on my stereo so i decided to try the subwoofer again. well it works at much lower volumes then it cuts out when i start to turn it up. its an mtx 250d amp and an infinity 10" kappa perfect. worked perfectly fine in my old stang and this stang is the exact same setup except instead of the speaker wire going into the aftermarket headunit, its tapped into one of the rear 5" speakers (very cleanly done).

not sure if its being overloaded or something but it will not play past a certain volume, then i turn down the volume down to a lower level after it cuts out and it will start back up after a second. any ideas to what might be happening to it and hopefully be able to make it work all the time?

After you check everything else mentioned, do not overlook the power connections. Make certain you have a clean chassis ground the the proper gauge cable from the battery terminal or power block. An amplifiers power supply must be able to draw the proper amount of amperage required. This could also cause the amp to go into protection as well.

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well i turned down the gain a good bit and it still is doing it. the amp never overheated before and i literally took it and the sub outta one car and put in the other (about 2 months back but never hooked it up). never ever had a single problem with it before but it was an aftermarket h/u and had rca's all the way from the h/u to the amp.

how do i go about making sure the amp gets the voltage it needs? im going to double check the ground and any other connections but i wanna say everything is pretty clean but i will make sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info